Is this a crack or just resin

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EmmetD

by EmmetD

Hey ladies and gents, sorry if this all a waste of your time but it is bothering me, I realise the image is not the best.
What am wanting to know is, can anyone help me determine whether this is a crack or just a join/ effect of the carbon layup?

https://500px.com/photo/148445479/teste ... met-dallat

Thanks again, just worries me as it is around the seat clamping area, though it appears it is just the resin etc.

wingguy

by wingguy

That's just what it looks like where 2 sheets of UD carbon meet. Look at any clear coated carbon frame and you can see it all of the place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EmmetD

by EmmetD

Thanks mate, was thinking this as the rest of the frame has this effect. What worried me was not the centre seam but the other one to the left. I appreciate your reply mate, have always been worried since a carbon seatpost snapped on me and went up my jacksy :0

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I see no crack.... if it is, you can feel it with your fingernail. Look close with a magnifying glass and flashlight if you want to inspect further.
Otherwise i agree with wingguy!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

EmmetD

by EmmetD

Yeah I was feeling at it with finger nail and nada. I think that's it sorted then. I just always worry with carbon and thus reason for getting torque wrench.
Much appreciated peeps, knew you guys would make me feel more at ease!

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Yeah, that definitely doesn't look like a crack....

We're always happy to toss in our two cents whether good or bad...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

perwjensen

by perwjensen

Yep, that's a mould line.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

EmmetD wrote:Yeah I was feeling at it with finger nail and nada. I think that's it sorted then. I just always worry with carbon and thus reason for getting torque wrench.
Much appreciated peeps, knew you guys would make me feel more at ease!

Doesn't look like a crack to me... but I don't think that's a reason to not get a torque wrench. IMO, if you're building a bike, you should always torque to spec, but its especially important if you're building a carbon bike.

EmmetD

by EmmetD

Thanks everyone, really do appreciate it....

wingguy

by wingguy

EmmetD wrote:Thanks mate, was thinking this as the rest of the frame has this effect. What worried me was not the centre seam but the other one to the left. I appreciate your reply mate, have always been worried since a carbon seatpost snapped on me and went up my jacksy :0

Daaaaaaamn :shock:

:P

Oswald

by Oswald

My BMC GF01 has a clearcoat, so no paint on it. It is covered with those lines. If it's a crack, you'll notice quickly. My previous BMC frame cracked and I could feel the crack with my finger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com