Felt AR1 Seat post problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

racersir

by racersir

OK so I just bought my AR1 frameset. I haven't finished the build and was planning on using a Fizik Antares braided saddle. Doing research I see there are issues with the seatpost not being able to hold the saddle. For AR owners what are my options to get that saddle to fit? Does the regular Fizik with Kium rails fit the seat post? Also does anyone know of a saddle that would be similar to the Antares in shape that does for this seatpost? Thanks in advanced for your help

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cobrakai

by cobrakai

I'm using the Antares R3 with Kium rails. It fits fine, just make sure to use plenty of carbon assembly paste and torque the clamp correctly. Weight for the saddle is 201 grams so around a 40-50 gram penalty over the carbon rail versions.

Krackor

by Krackor

What is the problem with the braided Antares? Are you talking about the stock AR rail clamp not accommodating oval rails? Or some other issue?

I've had issues with my AR1 seatpost holding saddle rails too low, so the bottom of the saddle itself rests against the top of the seatpost. This was an issue for me on Specialized Toupe and Specialized Power saddles, not an issue on Specialized Phenom or Prologo Scratch 2.

newforker

by newforker

I assume you got the 3T DiffLock seatpost with your frameset?

This has version has caps or ears that clamp the saddle rails from the side. The stock ones only work with round ti/cromo rails, there is another set of ears that 3T sells that fits carbon rails. However, this is only certain carbon rails as there as different dimensions by different companies. Fizik vs. Specialized vs Selle Italia.

For my Ar1 I got rid of the stock post and bought the AR FRD version post that is compatible with pretty much ALL rails from any company.

Hope this helps!

racersir

by racersir

Thanks for the replies and for clearing up my confusion. So basically I need to change to oval or change seatpost if I want to use a Fizik braided Antares then. Is anyone using the Fizik braided saddles with oval rails without problems?

CBRE

by CBRE

Sold my 2015 AR, still have the 5mm seat post I bought extra if anyone needs one($150), It's quite a bit lighter than the 25mm set back post.
Curt Brown

2016 Cannondale EVO Etap 13.8#'s
2012 Cannondale Supersix EVO etap 13.7#'s
2017 Cannondale SUPER X Force 16.0#'s
2016 Cannondale FatCad2 28.1#'s
2011 Cannondale Carbon Flash 1 17.9#'s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

What newforker said. 3T clamps are different for oval carbon rails. The default clamps are for alloy rails which are round. There's a couple mm difference so if you torque the clamp down on the oval rail, it's probably going to crack. Ki:um rails will be perfectly fine though.