Is it okay to wear Retro or out of date Pro Kit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moonoi

by moonoi

ms6073 wrote:Yes, I think most of of us know who he is, that was kind of the point!

It's actually amazing how many people don't know who he is though!

AJS914

by AJS914

Are you guys sure that that is him? When I search his name in google images, that image doesn't come up and I can't find a single image where he is that heavy. Also, in no other pictures do I see him wearing glasses other than a few with sunglasses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

moonoi wrote:Did you know that is Andy Rihs, one of the owners of BMC Racing, who at the time ran the Lampre team?

Hold on, how have I missed that he was both: involved in Lampre and the man in that pic?

And my Google-fu doesn't seem to be able to find more proof of that.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Was Andy Rihs ever the mayor of a town in France?

http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/internet-famous-fat-guy-spande wrote:I was walking around Hincapie HQ and spotted a Fat Guy Spandex photo taped to a monitor, and was like, “whoa, wait, is that the original?” And it was!

Jennifer Helms, shown here, Image
shot that photo and I don’t think really knew that it was a meme. Ask anyone with a computer who’s into bikes and they’ll laugh about that photo. We posted on it last year, it was on Swobo’s blog, Cyclingnews, and elsewhere. The story is that Mr. Lampre Kit was the Mayor of the Town the Tour came through and was beaming with pride.

ms6073

by ms6073

This is a more recent image of Andy Rihs so I am now thinking that the my previous assertion was based on what it seems is an urban legend. :oops:

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

moonoi

by moonoi

ms6073 wrote:This is a more recent image of Andy Rihs so I am now thinking that the my previous assertion was based on what it seems is an urban legend. :oops:

Seems I made the same mistake, oh well!

That said there were a few articles on the interwebs a few years back about this, a couple on reputable sites....can't find any of them now.

moonoi

by moonoi

Tinea Pedis wrote:
moonoi wrote:Did you know that is Andy Rihs, one of the owners of BMC Racing, who at the time ran the Lampre team?

Hold on, how have I missed that he was both: involved in Lampre and the man in that pic?

And my Google-fu doesn't seem to be able to find more proof of that.

Yeah I'm wrong, can't find the original article that I got it from either, so I suppose it's been pulled because it was wrong too!

I'll go back to lurking in the corner wearing my full 2012 Rabobank kit as punishment :-p

Dez33

by Dez33

ms6073 wrote:This is a more recent image of Andy Rihs so I am now thinking that the my previous assertion was based on what it seems is an urban legend. :oops:

Had never ever heard that story but it would have been quickly dispelled due to Rihs being at least a foot taller than that guy.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

moonoi wrote:I'll go back to lurking in the corner wearing my full 2012 Rabobank kit as punishment :-p

Wear it proudly :lol:

I had dinner with Andy earlier this year, so couldn't see the resemblance. But we all make mistakes mate. And what was cool is HT2 finding the story behind the actual owner of the shot!

beepbeep

by beepbeep

Personally I think wearing a team kit makes you faster.

You have some kind of mysterious duty to fulfil to the team who's colours you fly, so you push that little bit harder.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Rick wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:Image

I'm a fan of anyone that age riding.

He's only 46.
That's what a lot of high altitude climbing does to you.

Yes, appearances can be deceiving...! For the UK-ers amongst us, remember that Clive Dunn was only mid-40s when he played Jones in Dad's Army...!

beswiss

by beswiss

Wearing a retro Molteni shirt is definitely cool when Sagan passes you in his final 10km in the RVV on his way to win the race and he still finds it funny to shout 'Eddy' (re Eddy Merckx) at you. Shows as well how confident he was and what a super day he had :)
C'dale SuperSix Evo Sram Red, Cube Agree GTC Race SL, Granville MTB XT

mapeiboy1

by mapeiboy1

Visibility is your friend on the road . That Mapei kit will make sure you will be see and what is wrong with that .

L3X

by L3X

I think people should wear whatever they want to wear...

However, I do appreciate people who match their kit, especially when also matching to their gear. I.e. having a brand logo on your jersey but not having the matching gear on your bike is a bit of a turnoff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

L3X wrote:I think people should wear whatever they want to wear...

However, I do appreciate people who match their kit, especially when also matching to their gear. I.e. having a brand logo on your jersey but not having the matching gear on your bike is a bit of a turnoff.

So you mean I shouldn't wear my Giant Rabobank kit whilst riding my Trek Emonda SL?

To be honest if you have matching kit, it doesn't really matter if you have the gear on your bike or not. In my case I really do have the Rabobank kit, but in my defense my previous bike was a 2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL Rabobank edition. Still wear the kit on my P2 or Emonda as it's comfy, hasn't worn out and I spent good money on it so should be used.