Anyone using a Fizik stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Evening all
My lbs has a frankly insane deal on a Fizik Cyrano stem and was hoping to get some opinions from anyone using one. The reviews elsewhere read very well and the weight seems pretty respectable. I was going to switch the stock Cannondale stem on my Supersix for a Kalloy Uno with ti bolts and although that option would be marginally lighter I am leaning towards the Fizik just for its looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

helldiver

by helldiver

I'm using fizik cyrano r1 stem (-20deg/120mm) and i'm happy with it, good price for the light weight (titanium bolts). The only problem i had was the torque spec for faceplate bolts (5nm), when torqued to spec, the bolts did make creaking sounds during hard efforts (standing on pedals and pulling hard on handlebars). This disappeared when i overtorqued them slightly (6-7nm), since i have aluminium handlebars (fizik cyrano r3 snake) this shouldn't be problematic, but i would certainly be more cautious with carbon handlebars.

KH

by KH

I have the same set up (R1 stem and R3 bars) on my new bike.

I haven't ridden it yet other than up and down the street to check the position.

One thing to note is that, if you are not already aware, the bolts are torx. I had to buy a torx key set...no big deal but you might want to ensure you have a multi tool with a T25 on it for emergencies.

superdx

by superdx

I have R1 stem and R1 bars. Only comparison I have is a FSA carbon stem (which was too short) and a Cannondale C1 aluminium stem. Carbon seems to absorb vibrations slightly better. C'dales stem made my wrists hurt from the harshness.

I didn't have helldiver's problem of creaking, torque'd to 5Nm only. Maybe it's because my bars are carbon with carbon paste? Definitely shouldn't over-torque against carbon components.

russianbear

by russianbear

Running the R1 stem (120mm, +-7, 134g if i remember right) on R3 snake bars. I also had the bolts "squeak" on me when I first put them on. Only when tightening though. I greased the bolts with some heavy grease (Phill Wood) and the squeak went away. Great set up, no stiffness complaints.

Have a full fizik cockpit on my Look 585, gotta say it looks pretty slick. Especially like the subtle shape of the stem.

Canofale

by Canofale

I also have the R1 stem with R3 bars, great looking stem and no complaints, I prefer the torx bolts with titanium, no creaks as yet and I also greased the bolts.
2015 Caad10 Ultegra 7.1kg
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 6.6kg

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Using your other option myself, because I couldn't justify the price of the Cyrano over a stripped, Ti bolted KAlloy Uno. I suppose it depends how good a deal you're getting. I could eat a twenty or thirty quid difference for minimal aesthetic purposes, but not much more.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks for the replies everyone.
It's sat in their discount section for £30!!

Ste_S

by Ste_S

KH wrote:I have the same set up (R1 stem and R3 bars) on my new bike.

I haven't ridden it yet other than up and down the street to check the position.

One thing to note is that, if you are not already aware, the bolts are torx. I had to buy a torx key set...no big deal but you might want to ensure you have a multi tool with a T25 on it for emergencies.

I wonder if it's 3T making the stems/bars for Fizik ?

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks for the replies guys. The wife went and picked it up for me earlier so it will be getting fitted tomorrow.

miklm

by miklm

I have R1 stem -+6deg 110mm which is 128g.
Matched with R3 bars, 42cm, 245g, likely too heavy for most here.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Mine has come in slightly over the claimed 128g for the 110mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Well, a 100mm Uno with Ti bolts is 99-102g (I have two), so it's not a huge increase. Lovely looking bit of kit.

miklm

by miklm

miklm wrote:I have R1 stem -+6deg 110mm which is 128g.
Matched with R3 bars, 42cm, 245g, likely too heavy for most here.

burglarboycie wrote:Mine has come in slightly over the claimed 128g for the 110mm

Good catch. I looked at the wrong column in my Excel spreadsheet. I had "Spec" (i.e., claimed) and "Actual" and posted the wrong one.
Spec 128g
Actual 131g

My R3 Bars were Spec 245g, Actual 259g so a bit heavier even. I have the "Chameleon"; the R1 are supposed to be around 40g lighter.

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

My R1 Snake came in at 208g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com