Anyone using a Fizik stem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks guys.
I couldn't walk away from a stem like this for that price! Plus I'm building a non hi-mod Supersix evo so I can't be too much of a weenie about the weights after all. It's more about getting the best quality parts that I can afford for the smaller components. Big weight savings can be made with a wheel/tyre upgrade etc.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I have the 100mm, -6 on both my Venge and Allez with SWorks Aerofly bars. Love it.... Would love a -13* to split the difference with the -20*

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sped540

by sped540

110, and 120 -7 on two different bikes. R1 Chameleon 420 bars. Weights are very close.
No complaint, but the "Cyrano R1" logo on top of stem has wore off.

Barfly has a out front GPS mount for this stem; works pretty solid and relatively integrated appearence.

superdx

by superdx

Did you have problems with keeping your Garmin aligned with the Barfly mount?

I bought the Fizik/Barfly integrated mount, it looked totally awesome. Position was quite good too being a bit forward.

But for some reason the Edge 1000 would get knocked into angles on rides. I could never catch it happening but I guess it's just due to bumps in the road. Was worried that this would eventually erode the tabs on the Edge so I removed it.

Swapped back to the Garmin mount and haven't had this problem.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've got the Fizik stem on both of my bikes along with the Barfly Fizik mount.

When I first built up the Allez, I was also using the Fizik Cyrano R1 Chameleon bars, but I ended up swapping to Sworks Aerofly bars to match the fit the fit of the Venge. Both bikes now have the exact same fit. Fizik saddles on both bikes and Fizik Cyrano R1 carbon seat post on the Allez. I have not had any trouble with the barfly holding my Garmin 510 and I've been using the set up since about May of 2014. My 510 does have the Dog ears mount now, as the tabs broke off last fall when I dropped the unit on the ground. I did a full write up on the Stem/ Mount combo here.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Thanks a lot for your response. How do you find the seatpost? I'm looking to pick one up to match the stem.

tomycs

by tomycs

Fizik R1 100mm -7 at 122g to replace 100mm stock Giant Contact from 2015 Propel. A bit of weight saved. Giant Contact came with sleeve to go from 1.25 to 1.125: 186g w. sleeve, 169g for people with OD2 (or a Canyon).

http://www.mediafire.com/view/whu2t61dk ... tled-1.jpg

3Pio

by 3Pio

Using Fizik Cyrano R1 -7 deg in 110 mm which i use, and i also have 120 mm (i was thinking that i'll need 120 for my C60, but after fitting ended with 110, so i have this 120 spare). Good looking, stiff, and lightweight (still Kalloy Uno is lighter, but look more fragile in the clamping part, also look cheaper).

110mm - 128gm (Actual Weight)

120mm - 133 gm (Actual Weight)

The negative thing is that R1 logo start to wear off after 15 months of using

corky

by corky

burglarboycie wrote:Thanks a lot for your response. How do you find the seatpost? I'm looking to pick one up to match the stem.

The seatpost has one of the best clamping mechanisms out there imho, especially for carbon railed saddles.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

corky wrote:
burglarboycie wrote:Thanks a lot for your response. How do you find the seatpost? I'm looking to pick one up to match the stem.

The seatpost has one of the best clamping mechanisms out there imho, especially for carbon railed saddles.

I would agree 100%. It is so easy to use and make sure that the saddle is clamped correctly and won't slip and it's also incredibly easy to micro-adjust to get right.

racingcondor

by racingcondor

I have Fizik on one bike and while it's not incredibly light it is very well done (I bought them for looks as it was going on a steel frame so weight not the primary driver). As has been said the saddle clamping mechanism is great (especially on carbon rails) and that can't be said of a lot of light posts.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I'll also add that when I put all of my Fizik parts on the scale, they all weighed just a little bit less than the projected weights from Fizik, which is always nice... as opposed to Specialized, which always seemed to be just a little bit heavier.

droitaubut

by droitaubut

miklm wrote:
miklm wrote:I have R1 stem -+6deg 110mm which is 128g.
Matched with R3 bars, 42cm, 245g, likely too heavy for most here.

burglarboycie wrote:Mine has come in slightly over the claimed 128g for the 110mm

Good catch. I looked at the wrong column in my Excel spreadsheet. I had "Spec" (i.e., claimed) and "Actual" and posted the wrong one.
Spec 128g
Actual 131g

My R3 Bars were Spec 245g, Actual 259g so a bit heavier even. I have the "Chameleon"; the R1 are supposed to be around 40g lighter.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/fizik ... LUCZWc2.97, please see this review, here they actually mention the R3 handlebars to be over 330 grams.. Quite crazy! Do you think this can even be remotely true?

3Pio

by 3Pio

droitaubut wrote:
miklm wrote:

burglarboycie wrote:Mine has come in slightly over the claimed 128g for the 110mm

Good catch. I looked at the wrong column in my Excel spreadsheet. I had "Spec" (i.e., claimed) and "Actual" and posted the wrong one.
Spec 128g
Actual 131g

My R3 Bars were Spec 245g, Actual 259g so a bit heavier even. I have the "Chameleon"; the R1 are supposed to be around 40g lighter.

https://roadcyclinguk.com/reviews/fizik ... LUCZWc2.97, please see this review, here they actually mention the R3 handlebars to be over 330 grams.. Quite crazy! Do you think this can even be remotely true?

Fizik R3 Handlebars in Bull shape, 42 cm size c-c (in the hoods, i think it's 44 in the drops), actual weight is 259 gm

My friend have it, so before installation i measured it.

droitaubut

by droitaubut

3Pio wrote:
droitaubut wrote:
miklm wrote:

Spec 128g
Actual 131g

Fizik R3 Handlebars in Bull shape, 42 cm size c-c (in the hoods, i think it's 44 in the drops), actual weight is 259 gm

My friend have it, so before installation i measured it.

Thank you, Im having the R3 chameleon now, but didn't install or measure it myself, it's also the 42 cm c-c though. However, can't imagine a different shape would be very much apart in weight from the bull you mention. I feel I am slightly overstretched. Currently combining a 130mm fizik R1 stem with the R3 chameleon 42 c-c. Will have to consider if a bull handle bar (5 mm less reach) will do the job or I will have to adjust the stem to 120 mm (10 mm less reach). Any thoughts on this situation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com