Campagnolo/BBRight Crank Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Nlouthan: do you know if the cups you removed had been installed using a retaining compound and primer. Many times they have been isntalled dry, or actually with grease, in which case they don't take much effort at all. I was wondering if anyone ran into removable problems where an actual retaining compound had been used in installation.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Yes, cups were installed with 609 and 7649 primer. I took to long to get the cups fully seated and the Loctite had set. Had to remove them and start over. That part wasn't a big deal.

Having installed and removed, I'm 100% sure that with proper installation tools and the 609, there is no way the cups will come loose or creak.

em3

by em3

@Calnago, I have removed BBRight cups (previously installed with Loctite 609 and 7649 primer) from four frames. Two were my own frames I was sending back for warranty replacement (I have had six R-series frames replaced under warranty in a short six years) and two belonged to riding buddies. All cups were working properly at the point of uninstall and had not failed or developed the dreaded creak. Like @nlouthan described I too used a headset cup remover tool (slightly modified...see below) and was able to tap/bang three out with no problem, but one required the application of a bit of heat in order to break the Loctite bond (heat gun on low setting placed directly on the cup for short 30 seconds). I modified the headset cup remover tool a bit by beveling/rounding the outer edges with a Dremel in order to make sure the squared edges of the tool would not bite in to the carbon shell when I tapped out the cups. In all cases the cups did yield enough scarring to make them somewhat unusable (could have sanded down the scars/bites that resulted from the tool biting in to cups, but cups are cheap so better to simply use new cups).