SI v SISL2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

You have to install the 109mm spindle in the right direction. On one end of the spindle it will say "drive side". Insert the spindle (with grease on the inside of the bearings) from the non-drive side going to the drive side. Before you proceed with it get some compressed air cans and turn them upside down spraying the air on the spindle. It will freeze the spindle and make it ever so smaller making getting past the bearings much easier. If you insert it in the wrong direction and force it you could tweak the shell of the bearings themselves..... I just changed my bearings to some wheels manufacturing endure bearings last week and used this method and it only took a couple small whacks with the mallet..... :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shogunade

by Shogunade

what shoemaker said.

AZR3

by AZR3

Thanks shoemaker, I'll be sure to follow your directions

Rule

by Rule

jeffy wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:36 pm
I would think the newer Si cranks are perhaps 109mm. Or at least the one with BB30A 73mm shell?
Yes, Hollowgram SI and SISL2 use exactly the same 109mm axle (63gr without bolts). I checked this with cranks from 2016 Supersixes. For 68mm shell you use a 7.5mm spacer on the non drive side, for 73mm shell a 2.5mm spacer.

The weight difference is in the crank arms and rings only.
2016 Supersix High Mod - Red 11sp - EE - Bora 50 Ultra tubs / 2016 CAAD12 disc - Dura Ace - Hollowgram wheels / 1994 S Works - Chorus/Record - Bora 35 One clinchers

Rule

by Rule

Calnago wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:21 am
Yeah, but try finding a 109mm spindle these days. And even then the newer profile of the cranks or spider or combo, (can't remember which) means that it ends up not quite "right" anyway. And I forgot what "not quite right" means exactly but may have something to do with q-factor or distance from center for each crank. Probably not a big deal. The hard part would be finding a 109mm spindle I think.
Or are they used in their other cranks now as well? If so, I'll pick one up for a friend of mine who could sure use one.
By now, these are easy to source and the same for Holowgram SI and SISL2.
2016 Supersix High Mod - Red 11sp - EE - Bora 50 Ultra tubs / 2016 CAAD12 disc - Dura Ace - Hollowgram wheels / 1994 S Works - Chorus/Record - Bora 35 One clinchers

e30matt

by e30matt

Am I reading this right, the spindle is now the same on the Si and SISL2?
I have an SISL2 crankset from 2016 and the spindle has extra holes machined into the ends to reduce weight further. The new spindle I have been sent is missing these holes and clearly has Si etched on it, not SL2 as on my original one.
Can anyone confirm or contribute to this in any way?

Many thanks.
Cannondale Supersix Hi Mod 2015
Trek Madone 2014
Cannondale Caad12 2016
Cannondale Hooligan 2015
Cannondale Supersix evo HiMod Black INC disc

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I suspect the one without holes is the SiSL and the one with holes is SiSL2.

But I also think that the sl2 spindle isn't lighter. They don't exist in the same length. All 109mm spindles are sl2, all 104mm spindles are sl.

This is my suspicion.