Advice between two framesets

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which frameset to get?

Poll ended at Sat May 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Argon 18 Gallium pro 2016
23%
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
68%
Other
10%

Total votes: 31

unietis

by unietis

Hi guys,

Here's the thing.. Can't decide on what frameset to get..
I'm slowly building a climbing bike and I have narrowed my choice of frameset to two options - Argon 18 Gallium pro 2016 or Canyon Ultimate CF SLX .

Why these options?
Why Argon? - Well, in a bike shop i have an offer on Gallium Pro frameset that is a bit lower price than Canyon's CF SLX, good reviews, good looking.
Why CF SLX? - a bit lighter,good looking, good reviews, the general hype of canyon's lately

the choice of groupset and wheels has been already made - DuraAce mechnical and Corima wheels

So my general question would be - Which one of these two framesets should i get? Or maybe there are some other options (in the same price range) that i should look up?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peted76

by peted76

I'd go with the Canyon, mainly because I 'dig' their company and I don't know much about Argon.

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Seems I am the only one voted for the Argon, simply because your local bike shop will give you better service than Canyon.

AUOC1OC6

by AUOC1OC6

No contest.. Canyon, of course! You would be silly to go with an Argon,
Last edited by AUOC1OC6 on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUOC1OC6
--------------------
AX Lightness Vial Evo D http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=138599
Corima Puma
Giant MCR 2 (retired)
Trek Y Glide Deluxe MTB

tomycs

by tomycs

I'd vote Argon, for the sake of being different. I do own 2 Canyons though.

tinozee

by tinozee

I like both, good choices. The low BB drop of the Argon is interesting. I don't think the Argon is a silly choice at all.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Canyon for sure

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I have the Argon, and I like it a lot. The frameset itself is reasonably light, but if weight is your biggest concern, the headset system Argon uses is pretty beefy.

I've never ridden a Canyon nor do I really have the option to buy one, since I'm in the states.

unietis

by unietis

Thanks, guys, for your opinions!
Just to be different i was thinking about Argon and yeah, i would get a better service on it.

But it seems the majority are sliding towards canyon.

topflightpro wrote:I have the Argon, and I like it a lot. The frameset itself is reasonably light, but if weight is your biggest concern, the headset system Argon uses is pretty beefy.

I've never ridden a Canyon nor do I really have the option to buy one, since I'm in the states.

Would you say it's true what they say, that it's stiff at the bottom and comfortable at the top?

For others who have the canyon cf slx - i would have a question - what do you like about that frame ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

unietis wrote:Would you say it's true what they say, that it's stiff at the bottom and comfortable at the top?

Yeah, I guess. I mean, it's as stiff as I need it to be, and it's as comfortable as any other bike I've owned or ridden. The bike has certainly never been what holds me back.