New Zipp carbon stem and seatpost

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

This flew under the radar for me, the design of both is very close to Enve.

The stem is sexy and the weight is pretty competitive - 123g in 100mm.

The seatpost is cool but I never had luck with one bolt systems :/

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/04/06/zip ... -seatpost/

NiFTY

by NiFTY

123g in 100mm is aluminium weight, but it'll be 3 as much. I have 2 ritchey super logic seatpost which are one bolt and have never had slippage.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

stem only goes to 120mm.

jeffy

by jeffy

much harder top get angle 'just right' with one bolt clamp.

spartan

by spartan

i bought the new bony xxx stem. brilliant design. the top part flexes under load. solid design

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

F45

by F45

Heavy stem and no 17. Maybe they are trying to compete with PRO in stiffness.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

F45 wrote:Heavy stem and no 17. Maybe they are trying to compete with PRO in stiffness.

it's about the same weight of an Enve Road stem/Ritchey Superlogic C260 and same angle offering of those and 3T too

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Pro Carbon stem isn't as stiff as most stems, plus it isn't the lightest. OTOH, I've never had an issue with any stem stiffness, consider myself a sprinter. Along with Pro UD T800 carbon bars, makes for a stiff cockpit.

The weight of the Zipp SL and new stem, stiffness, seems like a good setup though. Oh, also, the Pro Stem you can get in -10, which I run.

-17 is kind of silly IMO, and -6 is OK for many, but wish there were more options for -10 stems on the market, that is a really good compromise for not just fit, but the look of the cockpit setup.

fh8425

by fh8425

hoping Zipp will do a 10 degree ..

wingguy

by wingguy

Zigmeister wrote:Pro Carbon stem isn't as stiff as most stems, plus it isn't the lightest.

The Pro Vibe Sprint carbon stem is. In the Fairwheel test it was best in test for pure stiffness with clear daylight between it and everything else. Of course, the Zipp SL Sprint wasn't in that test and it is quite similar in design.

Now the SL Speed is supposed to come in a little under that for pure stiffness, but with a good balance of STW.

mimason

by mimason

Zig, agree with your post. I wish there were -12 stems but the -10 Pro is also very nice. I passed up on the carbon and just got the alu vibe. Its stiff and cheap and works. That with the carbon Pro bar is a good setup.

On topic, i like these immediately but wrong rise angle for me too.

eric01

by eric01

Carbon stems are curious. Sure they look cool. But if you consider the price/performance/stiffness/weight equations... are they really better than alloy ones?

I can see the carbon seatpost benefits. I too have a Ritchey Superlogic. Brilliant. 140-ish grams in a 27.2 size. I know there's lighter, but they're more expensive.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

wingguy

by wingguy

I used to have an Enve carbon stem on my road bike for the bling factor but when I changed length and angle I went to an alloy ARX Team that's the same weight and haven't noticed any difference.

Of course I still have an Enve MTN stem on my mountain bike for the bling factor - and it does that job very well :P

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

eric01 wrote:Carbon stems are curious. Sure they look cool. But if you consider the price/performance/stiffness/weight equations... are they really better than alloy ones?

I can see the carbon seatpost benefits. I too have a Ritchey Superlogic. Brilliant. 140-ish grams in a 27.2 size. I know there's lighter, but they're more expensive.

I agree, it's much more the bling factor than any added benefit over a good aluminium stem. To quote the Fairwheel blog:
Carbon Fiber vs. Aluminum: – Carbon fiber stems don’t offer the weight savings that, say, carbon fiber rims do. There’s a reason for this: stems are regularly stressed in three ways: bending, torsion and shear. In other words, the stresses in a stem are nearly isotropic (uniform in all directions). Carbon fiber is highly anisotropic (stiffer/stronger in one direction than in the others). When you try to lay up anisotropic carbon to deal with isotropic stresses, you end up with what engineers refer to as “black aluminum,” or pseudoisotropic carbon–and a weight that’s very close to an aluminum stem.

There may be other advantages to a carbon stem; vibration damping is one that is often put to the forefront of the debate. It’s true that composite structures generally damp vibration better than metallic ones, and there may be real-world damping benefits to a carbon stem. One way to test stem damping would be to wire an accelerometer to the stem and then strike it gently with a hammer, reading the accelerometer data to see how quickly the vibrations dissipated. This ring-down test may be on the Fairwheel menu for a future article, but is outside the scope of this test.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Started out on the old Zipp SL145 stem, for the bling. Totally blown away by the stiffness, that was apparent from the first redlight sprint. Previous stem to that was a USE Race and before that a Thomson X4, not exactly what you'd call noodles. Been on PRO Vibe Sprint, 3T Integra Ltd and PRO Missile since then.

Never going back to anything alloy stem wise, ever again.

Try this, stand in front of your bike, grab the front wheel between your knees, grab the hoods and tug/rock the bars back, forth and sideways. Sure some of the flex is in the bars and some is at the steerer tube, but really observe the stem. You will see it flex, A LOT!

Now try this with some of the "sprinters choice" full carbon cockpits... it's rock solid.