Bike of the Year Winner (£2750+)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iliedanila

by iliedanila

I just saw this video and there's a very interesting part in it, when that guy descends in the wet.
Just look at that front wheel :shock:
https://youtu.be/kh8ciU3wdxc?t=3m13s
I'm so happy I didn't get the Campa Bora wheels..
And I know people on this forum that have the nerve to recommend Campa Wheels over Enve (if you can believe that!!!)

ichobi

by ichobi

So am i missing something here? Not exactly sure whats wrong with the front wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iliedanila

by iliedanila

Lateral flex!? You can't see that? On a good piece of tarmac?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

You think other wheels don't do that?

liam7020

by liam7020

Haven't been able to view this video yet but I noticed some of the pro riders at the Tour of Flanders last Sunday were using Campag Bora wheels. They didn't seem to a have an issue with "lateral flex"...
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

kgt

by kgt

That kind of flex is not a problem. There are stiffer wheels than Bora of course...

iliedanila

by iliedanila

liam7020 wrote:Haven't been able to view this video yet but I noticed some of the pro riders at the Tour of Flanders last Sunday were using Campag Bora wheels. They didn't seem to a have an issue with "lateral flex"...

Pro riders don't have a say in the wheels they use. You know that, right?
We pay for wheels and definitely have a say in what we want for wheels.
And definitely other wheels don't flex on good tarmac with a lightweight rider on them...

wingguy

by wingguy

And definitely other wheels don't flex on good tarmac with a lightweight rider on them...

OK. Show us the 120fps slomo to prove it.

Ste_S

by Ste_S

wingguy wrote:

OK. Show us the 120fps slomo to prove it.

With the comparison video of someone doing the same thing, on the same bike, but with ENVE wheels

iliedanila

by iliedanila

I will ask a friend to film me just to prove a point. I have tune schwarzbrenner 38T on my bike.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Rain.....?

jeffy

by jeffy

Nejmann wrote:Rain.....?

I have agreed to participate in the filming production, and will be using ESCHBACH high quality hose to simulate rain. I have also contracted a Romanian firm to sample and reproduce the tarmac used in the Cycling Plus.

morrisond

by morrisond

If there was as much flex as you think there is and it's a problem like you think it is the guy would be on his ass when the massive deflection caused it to rub the brake blocks.

I'm a very big Weenie (100 KG+) and have zero problems with wheel deflection on BORA's (50mm Ultra Tub's). I run my brake blocks very tight front and rear and no rubbing.

I can't say the same of my last set of ENVE's Rim brake wheels (3.4's on Tune hubs).

If you look at the TOUR testing Bora's aren't the stiffest wheels out there (however they are pretty stiff) but they are definitely stiffer than ENVE's.

If you want to Compare a set of 5.6 or 6.7's to BORA's- Yes they might be a stiffer rim - but unless you can lace them into a 2:1 hub like Campy (or i9 like a set of 3.4 Disc Rims i'm having built right now) overall they won't compete or at best will be just as stiff as Bora's - but at a significantly higher weight and Moment of Inertia.

Add 100 grams to each rim of a BORA and it would be significantly stiffer than an ENVE.

Delorre

by Delorre

See here, the stiffness of bora 35's clincher used by Canyon. Front = excellent, Rear : rather average :?
http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test-canyon-ultimate-cf-slx-9-0-ltd.1503348.9.htm

Have to confess : was forced to set the blocks to around 3 mm's from the rim, front and rear, otherwise, I got some rub during hard efforts out of the saddle. Not a big issue, love those Bora's, but worth mentionning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

jeffy wrote:
Nejmann wrote:Rain.....?

I have agreed to participate in the filming production, and will be using ESCHBACH high quality hose to simulate rain. I have also contracted a Romanian firm to sample and reproduce the tarmac used in the Cycling Plus.

I see what you did there.