Mavic cosmic pro carbon SL clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

riochang

by riochang

Hey all,

The new full carbon clincher offering from mavic look really promising, especially in the braking performance.

Several hands on reviews claim that even dragging the brake during long descent were completely fine.

What do you guys think? Should I get them instead of say zipp 303 and no longer worry about carbon delaminating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

with new Zipp and DA hubs coming .. i would wait...

wingguy

by wingguy

New Zipp hubs are always coming.They came out this year, they'll come out next year, they'll come out the year after that. Then they'll all be recalled, then it starts all over again :P

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

I really liked the early reviews of these 2 new Mavic wheels but no matter what you'll have to wait a little bit longer to get them seeing as they are going to be released in May. If by that time Shimano announces a new wheel lineup (in advance of TdF) then it will be a dificult choice.

wingguy

by wingguy

May? We've had a some in already and 2 demo sets.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

wingguy wrote:May? We've had a some in already and 2 demo sets.

:o strange, the May date came from 2 different reviews

as you saw these wheels in person, can you give us your thoughs about them?

riochang

by riochang

UK, US and France dealers are starting to receive these wheels. Has anyone tried yet?

pamountainbiker

by pamountainbiker

The Mavic's are also considerably cheaper than 303 or 404 NSW at around $2,200, I think. That being said, they are a bit shallower and a tad narrower, but I'm thinking for the money and braking performance which I understand beats Showstopper whcih beats Enve's new textured track. I don't think they can be beat. I'm going to demo and probably buy them. I don't ride gravel, only ride in the wet by accident, so for me discs are less of a priority and if I can get pretty good carbon clincher performance, for me it makes the proposition of discs less or an imperative. Unless of course the entire industry moves on I don't have a choice in a few years...

5DII

by 5DII

Also keep in mind Mavic has a new freehub on it, and has increased the spoke count (18/24)

Junior7

by Junior7

I would of Mavic - smoothly and lowest price.

riochang

by riochang

http://www.bicivelox.com/showthread.php?p=5547850
here's a review from customer, review seems very positive.

riochang

by riochang

Ok I've received the new cosmic pro carbon SL C wheels.
My other wheels are 2016 cosmic SLE and 2015 reynolds strike SLG.
This is a very early impression (only took it out for a 30km climb and descent):

Braking: SLE with exalith 2 surface still provides the best braking performance, however the new SL C is seriously impressive as well, I'd definitely say its on par with aluminium brake surfaces and far better than the reynolds with the new cryo blue pads. Havent had the chance to test in wet condition yet. Under heavy braking theres no squeal noise whatsoever, it sounds alot like "muted exalith" braking noise. (I use swissstop black prince instead of supplied yellow king)

Stiffness: I am no heavy rider, 68kg, none of these wheels had ever rub the brakes even when ride out of the saddle and sprinting, so I cannot say whether the new SL C is stiffer than others. They are all very stiff to me :p

Acceleration: I can definitely feel the lightness of the new SL C during acceleration, mavic claims the new rims only weight 450g and indeed it felt easier to get up to speed compared to the other two. However the finishing time for the climb (~15km average 8% incline) with SL C (weight 1450g) is around the same as SLE (weight 1620g). The mere 170g difference in wheel weight does not help making me go any faster uphill, this is probably because I rarely accelerate while climbing.

Aerodynamics: holding speed at around 32-35kph felt the same as SLE. Reynolds were maybe slightly, just slightly better than SL C and SLE due to deeper profile (62mm), but overall, I cannot find much of a difference between these wheels in turns of pure speed under the same effort. There was almost no wind during the test so I cannot comment how they perform under other wind conditions. However, I believe the new SL C will handle much better under heavy crosswind due to the NACA profile compare to the very old design SLE.

Ride quality: new SL C has wider rim than SLE, it felt a bit more comfortable compared to SLE (p.s. all wheels had conti gp4000sii 23mm tires) and felt similar to the reynolds.

Overall, I am happy with the new SL C wheels for now, especially the braking performance, but I will need many more rides before drawing to a more definite conclusion.

Junior7

by Junior7

I have a Mavic Cosmic Carbon, excelent.

I would not trade for Zipp.

leungti1

by leungti1

I just bought a pair of these but very disappointed to find out these wheels weight 1570g vs. 1450g claimed (excluding tires/skewers)! I used two different scales and they show the same weight. Mavic is usually pretty good on weight but these are much heavier. Not sure if the weight comes from the rims or hubs. I suspect they found weakness in the rims and had to beef them up which resulted in higher weight. Anyone has the same issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Junior7

by Junior7

I have a wheelset that on my bike for months and never had any problems.