Campagnolo EPS compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

As much of a do it yourself fan as I am the decision to send mine out so that the cable stops could be removed and holes patched was pretty easy. This method allowed for enlarging the hole that Colnago drilled for the cable stop attachment rivets as opposed to complete new holes. I also think the frame deserved this attention to detail instead of drilling extra holes and taping wires externally. I wish I would have taken more detailed pics before I installed the EPS group but here is the just of it viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130109

pritchet74

by pritchet74

That repaint on your EPS is gorgeous.

I'm going to try the v1 EPS on the bike and wait for prices on v3 to drop and then make a decision about the holes on my frame.

At this point I just want my parts to arrive so I can ride with Campy again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

pritchet74 wrote:I am finally going to make the jump from Di2 over to EPS, with the goal of eventually having everything setup for Record EPS v3. Unfortunately that's cost prohibitive right now. I will be getting everything used as that's the only way this guy with 4 kids can make EPS happen.

I read that v3 won't work with v1 front derailleurs. Since I am going to be putting this on a Colnago EP, I can only do external wiring, so I am leaning towards a v1 setup. Although with a v2 setup I could mount the battery to the chainstay since they make a mount for that. I want to eventually run v3, so I would like to get a newer front derailleur so it will work with v3. What model year EPS Record FD is considered v2 so it would work with v3? Also, will this FD work with v1?

Has anyone mounted the v2 battery to the chainstay? How bad does that look?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Old post now, sorry chaps, only just seen it so I will answer here for anyone Googling (other SEs are available) at a later date ...

All EPS components apart from the Charger, Interface and PU are fully reverse compatible ... so a EPS FD, RD, levers of any generation will all play quite happily with a v3 PU.
v2 & v3 chargers are the same item, so fully interchangeable.

Where there are interchangeability problems, they are quite limited.

Athena and Chorus are fully interchangeable but:
2015 + FDs won't play with v1 PUs. You will get a yellow LED warning at the PU and it won't shift.
2015+ PD with Athena crankset will work at least as well as the original but it's not optimal.

Record and Super Record EPS are likewise interchangeable across years, but:
The Interface for TT and brake lever mounted shift levers (with five leads not three) will not play with all v1 PUs. It's OK on later ones, not with early ones. You'll get a red LED warning at the PU and it won't shift.
2015 + FDs won't play with v1 PUs. You will get a yellow LED warning at the PU and it won't shift.
2015+ PD with five arm crankset will work at least as well as the original but it's not optimal.

Non-ranged and special components:
2015+ FD with 2015+ OT cranksets or SR RS cranksets will work better than with pre-2015 Record / Super Record cranksets with their original rings as the ramping and pinning on the back of the big chainring was revised for late model OT and SR RS cranksets, but are still not as good shifting under torque as the 2015+ four arm crankset.

If you install a v2 PU and put a post 2015-type FD in place, when a FD zero set is done and saved, the blue LED will flash three times, then pause, and flash a fourth, to tell you that the PU has detected and loaded the shift algorithms for a 2015+ system. If you install a v2 PU with the earlier FD, it flashes blue three times only, on saving the zero settings.
Last edited by graeme_f_k on Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

Valienteboy

by Valienteboy

graeme_f_k wrote:
pritchet74 wrote:I am finally going to make the jump from Di2 over to EPS, with the goal of eventually having everything setup for Record EPS v3. Unfortunately that's cost prohibitive right now. I will be getting everything used as that's the only way this guy with 4 kids can make EPS happen.

I read that v3 won't work with v1 front derailleurs. Since I am going to be putting this on a Colnago EP, I can only do external wiring, so I am leaning towards a v1 setup. Although with a v2 setup I could mount the battery to the chainstay since they make a mount for that. I want to eventually run v3, so I would like to get a newer front derailleur so it will work with v3. What model year EPS Record FD is considered v2 so it would work with v3? Also, will this FD work with v1?

Has anyone mounted the v2 battery to the chainstay? How bad does that look?

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Old post now, sorry chaps, only just seen it so I will answer here for anyone Googling (other SEs are available) at a later date ...

All EPS components apart from the Charger, Interface and PU are fully reverse compatible ... so a EPS FD, RD, levers of any generation will all play quite happily with a v3 PU.
v2 & v3 chargers are the same item, so fully interchangeable.

Where there are interchangeability problems, they are quite limited.

Athena and Chorus are fully interchangeable but:
2015+ PD with Athena crankset will work at least as well as the original but it's not optimal.

Record and Super Record EPS are likewise interchangeable across years, but:
The Interface for TT and brake lever mounted shift levers (with five leads not three) will not play with all v1 Interfaces. It's OK on later ones, not with early ones. You'll get a red LED warning at the PU and it won't shift.
2015+ PD with five arm crankset will work at least as well as the original but it's not optimal.

Non-ranged and special components:
2015+ FD with 2015+ OT cranksets or SR RS cranksets will work better than with pre-2015 Record / Super Record cranksets with their original rings as the ramping and pinning on the back of the big chainring was revised for late model OT and SR RS cranksets, but are still not as good shifting under torque as the 2015+ four arm crankset.

If you install a v2 PU and put a post 2015-type FD in place, when a FD zero set is done and saved, the blue LED will flash three times, then pause, and flash a fourth, to tell you that the PU has detected and loaded the shift algorithms for a 2015+ system. If you install a v2 PU with the earlier FD, it flashes blue three times only, on saving the zero settings.