how long can you store tires?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OrPe

by OrPe

Hi,

Ran into a nice deal for top clincher tires (vittoria's). thinking of buying 2/3 sets.
usually, i can have a set survive a full year (i am now on a 3 weeks old set, so about a year for the next replacement).

so, assuming stored in a shaded storage (no direct sunlight), usually temps dont go too high or too low (keep in mind this is israel, so occasionally it can get to 30 deg C in the summer) - how much is too much to store tires?

cheers,
Oren

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Several years.
Unfold them, stick them in a large plastic bag (bin liner or something), tape it up and stick em in a corner somewhere.

I've got tyres that are ~10 years old stored like this and they are indistinguishable from when they were new.

uraqt

by uraqt

Vittoria, made major changes to their lineup in 2016 that is why their are tons of deals on the old ones...

C

OrPe

by OrPe

uraqt wrote:Vittoria, made major changes to their lineup in 2016 that is why their are tons of deals on the old ones...

C

exactly :wink:
looking at a set of paves as well as CxIII's

Oren

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Lance's tire guy used to age them for seven years before mounting them the first time.

While probably not actusal useful, it shows that aging doesn't hurt too much.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... oxE912fJnU

http://www.cyclingforums.com/threads/di ... es.364694/

uraqt

by uraqt

I would hope that tires have moved new rubber compounds in the last 20 years

MikeDee

by MikeDee

Don't leave them in the garage. Ozone from the your vehicles attack the rubber.

sawyer

by sawyer

Team Sky age them too...

It's an old debate ... from a smallish sample size I do find that older tyres have more puncture resistance
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

If in the proper environment, like fine wine. That is what is done with pro tubular tires from some manufacturers, they are stored in a humidity/temp controlled environment for a few years sometimes.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Zigmeister... could you name one manufacturer that currently does this intentionally, meaning for some purpose other than having adequate stock on hand?
Personally, I think the whole aging thing is nonsense. Rubber does age, no question, and in doing so it becomes harder and more brittle and prone to cracking. So the hardening may contribute to what some people perceive as greater puncture resistance but it also decreases the suppleness which contributes to a nice ride quality. Automobile tires have a shelf life (around 6 years I believe in the US) where after that date they are not to be sold. If someone presented me with two tires to choose from, a nicely aged 10year old top of the line tubular, versus a brand new top of the line tubular from the same manufacturer, I'd be taking the new one every time.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mattr

by mattr

I doubt any manufacturer does it anymore beyond the length of the supply chain and stock levels.
The reasoning is that you can't effectively vulcanise rubber to very lightweight tyre carcases (silk definitely, lightweight cotton is marginal) without damaging the fabric. Virtually no one makes tyres out of silk or very light cotton anymore, the synthetics have got a lot better, so you can vulcanise to your hearts content. No real need to age.
Some very very low volume stuff may not be fully vulcanised either, hence the history of the "special" pro tyres needing aging. Not sure pro teams even use special tyres anymore (maybe TT or high mountain days?) as consumer tyres are much better than they used to be.

mattr

by mattr

MikeDee wrote:Don't leave them in the garage. Ozone from the your vehicles attack the rubber.
you'd have to pretty much pump exhaust gas into a sealed bag containing your tyres. Or leave the engine running. In an enclosed space.

As long as the tyres are bagged (which they should be anyway, UV is nasty stuff) and off the floor it'll make no difference.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yeah, that's my thoughts on the ozone thing as well... just how much ozone does it take to start wrecking tires? I think I'd want to have my garage checked out for ozone leaks if that was the case. On the bright side, when global warming burns out the ozone layer in the earth's atmosphere, I suppose our bicycle tires should last a good amount longer.

The only "pro" tires that I can think of which are significantly different than the consumer versions are the Continental Pro "Limited" tires, which to my knowledge differ only in that they have a latex innertube instead of the butyl tube.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BRM

by BRM

Calnago wrote: On the bright side, when global warming burns out the ozone layer in the earth's atmosphere, I suppose our bicycle tires should last a good amount longer. .

Ehm,

The ozone layer absorbs 97 to 99 percent of the Sun's medium-frequency ultraviolet light, which otherwise would potentially damage exposed life forms near the surface.

What do you think a very high amount on UV light will do?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Really? It was a joke. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com