Rotor groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I've watched the vids now, and although I would spend my money on etap if I were to invest in a new groupset right now I do think this has its merits and actually looks a lot nicer than I expected. Don't really like the hydraulic rim brakes but as a disc package I think it's pretty good. It certainly looks the part on that Cervelo!!!
Last edited by burglarboycie on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

wingguy wrote:Oh yeah :oops: My mistake, totally forgot about chainline.

Still, I'd have thought it more likely they were using a modified Rotor crank than a modified frame but I don't know. I know someone who's there for the launch though, I could ask when he's back.

If you could, would be very interesting. Though a new rotor crank would go against their whole UBB theory.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pavel

by pavel

1604g without a crankset is pretty damn heavy.

BikeNerd2453

by BikeNerd2453

euph wrote:I admit that the looks aren't as bad as I initially thought but when people call hydraulic shifter or brake a "set and forget" system it makes me laugh. I adjust my cables about twice a year. It's nice that a company is willing to try and stir things up a bit but the timing definitely could have been better.

Cables =/= hydraulic lines, remember.

wingguy

by wingguy

glam2deaf wrote:
wingguy wrote:Oh yeah :oops: My mistake, totally forgot about chainline.

Still, I'd have thought it more likely they were using a modified Rotor crank than a modified frame but I don't know. I know someone who's there for the launch though, I could ask when he's back.

If you could, would be very interesting. Though a new rotor crank would go against their whole UBB theory.

Oh this is quite amusing, the bikeradar review seems to indicate that it was neither a new frame nor a new crank on the demo bikes - they were just running them out of spec resulting in crap front shifting for the grand unveiling of their flagship product :roll:

"One Rotor representative did comment that the Cervélo’s relatively short chainstays were right at the limit of specs, producing a less-than-ideal chainline..."

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

pretty grim they did that. At least it looks pretty.

JAQ1

by JAQ1

I must say that I like this a lot, but don't know how affordable it will be. Maybe only when they start outsourcing the production to Taiwan. The price is kind of understandable at the moment seeing that they are only able to produce 1500 sets a year. Early adopters will know that the quality control will be top, because its still being made in their in house factory.

What I like most is that its engineers that thought out of the box to try and accommodate people that like mechanical systems and don't want batteries and people that want flawless no issues shifting that you get from electronic systems.

Seeing as this is weight weenies, I think more people should give them credit for trying to make something lighter and better and not just go with the stock options.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

I think this is pretty interesting. Not just from a weight point of view but from the having another choice in groups point of view. Given their claimed weights are correct it should be more than a 300 gram weight savings over a disc version of Dura Ace Di2. I spoke with Rotor directly yesterday and unfortunately they are a little early in announcing this, first samples won't be available until June and production versions won't hit the market prior to August.

CBJ

by CBJ

madcow wrote:I think this is pretty interesting. Not just from a weight point of view but from the having another choice in groups point of view. Given their claimed weights are correct it should be more than a 300 gram weight savings over a disc version of Dura Ace Di2. I spoke with Rotor directly yesterday and unfortunately they are a little early in announcing this, first samples won't be available until June and production versions won't hit the market prior to August.

It will be interesting to see what the new 2017 DA Di2 will weight with the new dedicated road calibers. I am sure the difference will come down. The current XT calibers are beefy.

spartan

by spartan

really..

when there sponsored pros refuse to use hydraulic in races, why should anyone pay $2500 to be a early adopter.

with real time metrics a reality(campy's brilliant eps v3) this group is dead on arrival.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I believe it could be a good idea for a gravel/ cx bike. Or a hybrid like Open UP.
Now that it also stands clear, to short chainstays is a slight issue, i am even more convinced that hybrids like Open UP are a better match for UNO.
What always worries me is FD shifting.
Pretty curious what Shimano come up with. I just heard my new bike was sent out today (UL Di2).
I wanted to try out UNO, but as Madcow says, it's even further away + it cost alot more than UL Di2.
Rotor is €2500 in EU without cranks. I think this would put us over €3000 with matching 3D+ crank, chainrings and BB.
That is very steep!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Team Dimension Data, do not use it why? don't like? hey have tried it but they continue to use Shimano, Rotor is sponsor, Shimano not

in any race have been seen with UNO groupset, mostly use Di2

pavel

by pavel

Another answer to a question that no one asked.

"Cant wait to get home and bleed my shifter lines," said nobody.

wheelsONfire wrote:I believe it could be a good idea for a gravel/ cx bike. Or a hybrid like Open UP.

Why?

wingguy

by wingguy

The hydraulic shifting system does not work in the same way as hydraulic brakes. There is no need to compensate for heat or pad wear so there is no reservoir. It's a closed, airtight system containing a minute quantity of oil. In the amount of time that a mechanical system would have required multiple outer/inner cable changes this should still be running exactly in trim from the original setup.

Theoretically.

nd2rc

by nd2rc

best video of how it works I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zrzaz-bcYgg

edit: and for another review with weights http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/04/08/rot ... l-weights/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com