Rotor groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Krackor wrote:That exposed ratchet mechanism in the rear derailleur looks like a maintenance nightmare. Is it supposed to be exposed like that while riding?

Nope, it lives under the rounded "Uno" nameplate.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Krackor wrote:That exposed ratchet mechanism in the rear derailleur looks like a maintenance nightmare. Is it supposed to be exposed like that while riding?

It appears all that sits under the round cover that says UNO on it.
EDIT: Too late

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Will take a look at the vids when I get home but that cassette really does sound promising!!! I'll be keeping an eye on that

havana

by havana

Oh well, that cassette certain seems light but probably it'll wear out faster than a package of sweets after a long training ride...

Nice for show bikes, not really suitable for everyday riding (especially when you're on a budget...)
Last edited by havana on Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

Miller

by Miller

Looks fab actually, Rotor seem to have done a great job, but does it offer any single advantage over e-shift other than no battery?

havana

by havana

Miller wrote:Looks fab actually, Rotor seem to have done a great job, but does it offer any single advantage over e-shift other than no battery?

Lighter.
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

People comparing eletronic groupsets (wired or not) to this didn't quite get the point imo. This is more like an alternative to mechanical groupsets, it can be fitted to any mechanical ready frame that have internal routing and at least for shifter cables is a set and forget system, and I quite like the appeal of this.
The only downside is that the price is not really competitive, Sram RED mechanical and Dura Ace are much much cheaper than $3000, I think they really blew any chance of competitiveness in this market with this price point.

nickf

by nickf

Sorry 10g weight saving over sram red equivalent is nothing. I don't see the advantage. Would be a pain on a internally routed bike. Cutting and bleeding 4 hydo lines. Plus what kind of wonky adapters do they use for standard cable stops on existing bikes to hold a solid hydro line in place? The alternative is wireless electronic. Routing is no longer a issue period. Mechanical ready frame or not wireless just bolts on it doesn't care. I'm hoping for more competition from Shimano and cheaper non red version from sram.

Its a innovation that they got it dialed in and working but for what application? What can it do better then whats already available. Not to sound like a broken record but Etap is freaking wireless. How is adding a hydraulic hose a solution to even a conventional cables system. Maintenance?

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

nickf wrote:Cutting and bleeding 4 hydo lines.

if you are using rim brakes the system never needs to be bled, that's why I mentioned above that the system is set and forget, in theory you'll never have to do maintenance on the aforementioned parts

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Realistically... Is it actually going to be retailing at $3000/€2000+

Isn't sram force rrp over £1000? In reality this will probably be priced between dura ace and dura ace Di2.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

deek

by deek

I'm really interested in this cassette. Are there any more pictures anywhere? If it's 25g ligher than Red, that means it's also 55g lighter than DA. That's a huge percentage for what seems like a relatively similar design. Is the cassette spacing any different?

CBJ

by CBJ

mariovalentim wrote:
nickf wrote:Cutting and bleeding 4 hydo lines.

if you are using rim brakes the system never needs to be bled, that's why I mentioned above that the system is set and forget, in theory you'll never have to do maintenance on the aforementioned parts

I run mtb dics right now that has not been bleed since they put in use i 2013. So once installed theoretically its just going to work for a very long time most likely longer than you keep the bike. Again at least in theory.

euph

by euph

I admit that the looks aren't as bad as I initially thought but when people call hydraulic shifter or brake a "set and forget" system it makes me laugh. I adjust my cables about twice a year. It's nice that a company is willing to try and stir things up a bit but the timing definitely could have been better.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

wingguy wrote:
glam2deaf wrote:Really excited about this, looks amazing!

Semi related, is that a new R3 Disc? I though the previous models were only compatible with that slk crank?

Um, no? Why would it be?

Might have mis understood, but was under the impression, they shifted to the FSA with more of an offset, to allow them to keep the same length chainstays and go 135mm rear spacing.

from bike radar:
To keep the R3's racy handling, Cérvelo's engineers managed to maintain the same short chainstay length of 405mm, rather than having to shift to the longer 415mm recommended by disc brake manufacturers. Cervélo achieved this by using a custom FSA SL-K crank with a 5mm offset to ensure the correct chainline.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/cervelo-finally-embraces-disc-brakes-with-r3-45087/

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh yeah :oops: My mistake, totally forgot about chainline.

Still, I'd have thought it more likely they were using a modified Rotor crank than a modified frame but I don't know. I know someone who's there for the launch though, I could ask when he's back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com