New wheels for new bike!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Good afternoon fellow weenies!

I am taking delivery of my new 2016 TCR ADVANCED SL frameset in the coming days and was wondering opinions on the following wheels/build

The backstory is that my 2013 TCR Advanced SL developed a crack and Giant have subsequently warrantied it. As such all the parts from my old frame are going onto the new 2016 frame, yet I am after purchasing a better set of wheels.

The build as it stands will be

Frame: 2016 TCR Advanced SL
Groupset: Complete Dura-Ace 9000 (Mechanical)
Bars: Pro VIBE carbon
Stem: Giant Contact O/S
Saddle: Arione CX Kium Rails (My personal favourite saddle)
Cages: Lightweight Edelhefer
Wheels: ???

I do not want to spend ridiculous money on a set of wheels and hence I am looking at a few "sale" sets my LBS and other associated stores have for sale. The prices on the wheels listed below are all within $120 of each other. These wheels obviously were more expensive yet as cheaper in price (due to sale) I would be keen to get a set.

1. MAVIC COSMIC CARBON ELITE 2015
2. MAVIC COSMIC CARBONE SLR 2013
3. FULCRUM RACING ZERO NIGHT 2016
4. FULCRUM RACING QUATTRO CARBON 2016
5. 4ZA CIRRUS PRO C40 with DT 240S

I am after a "do it all" set of wheels; that is a wheelset that is good at climbing/sprinting/flats.

I do alot of my riding in Ardennes type terrain; that is short, sharp, steep climbs followed by short, sharp, steep descents and long, fast, rolling roads. I do however a few times a week go do a few good hours riding on a long flat circuit road (approx 6km in length) for easy rolling recovery (and the odd TT effort :D ) I rarely go out riding if it is bucketing down rain, but if its a bit damp I will still head out. I need therefore a nice stiff wheel (due to hill gradients) and a wheel that does not feel "dead" (ie it helps carry momentum on downhills and flats)

I currently use a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL on the bike which I have found to be a nice, stiff, training wheel yet want to upgrade (Btw I have weighed them at 1495g) . I would not mind trading a bit of weight for all-round aero advantage, provided it is not significantly heavier and hence have come to the conclusion of the above-mentioned wheels. I have used Carbon Clinchers in the past and have not had issues with them (except for the time I was caught out during a 2hour storm :oops: :lol: )

Any opinions on the above would be most appreciated considering
- The type of bike I am getting
- The type of riding I do.

Many thanks - look forward to hearing from you

PS - I will not be going down the road of hand-built wheels!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Why not handbuilt?

I'd go for a 25mm, 35/38mm tall set, ideally below 1450g, with tough hubs, and with standard components so you can repair the set when something breaks. If you can get this from a "factory" set, fine.

From your list, the 4za sound like they might be built from replaceable parts.
Last edited by Marin on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rorz

by rorz

I Have an older paid of cosmic carbon wheels. They are heavy and not top aero, but they are bombproof and have an aluminium brake track which is nice for some of the steep descents around here.
Having sais that I would go for either of the fulcrums. The zero if the TT efforts don't matter as much to you. Or the Quattro carbon for a more all round wheel.

Junior7

by Junior7

Before your arguments I would 1. MAVIC COSMIC CARBON ELITE 2015

Good wheel for a good price.

junchen

by junchen

Definitely the fulcrum racing zero nite or fulcrum racing quattro carbon. Probably the nite as it has nicer hubs.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Shimano c35/c50 cl from the UK

mjainoz

by mjainoz

you just gotta find a way to buy these ( with your name :)

http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... -sl-47670/

I've got two sets. LOVE em.
$ though ...
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wangsanegara

by wangsanegara

I have the same frame, and using Enve SES3.4

Based on your choices, I will go with the Fulcrums, and prefer the Racing Zero Night.

A.W