9070 front derailleur trim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

Guys, I'm at work, so can't try it at the moment, but I have a very small 'issue' with my 9070 front mech. The limit inner and outer screws are totally well setup, everything is perfect, except, when on the small ring and 4th smallest cog, the chain almost rub on the outer face of the mech. When I shift to the 3th smallest cog, auto trim occurs and move the front mech a little to the outside. Going back to the 4th smallest cog don't induce trim, so there, everything is perfect.

Question : what is the solution to move the mech a little to the ourside? The inner limit screw doesn't have effect, I tried that yesterday. Setting outer limit screw à little more outward maybe? Or is there is a trim function like the rear mech? Thx!!

mai

by mai

put it in big chainring/big cog combination and enter adjust mode (press and hold button under junction box). then try adjust the fd trim a couple of notches. press and hold the junction button again to save.

hope that helps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toiyuet

by toiyuet

If you want to move the mech a little to the ourside when it's on 4th smallest cog, I don't think the outer limit screw would work.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Start from scratch and follow dealers manual to the letter. Stop flying blind and playing around.

by 11.4

goodboyr wrote:Start from scratch and follow dealers manual to the letter. Stop flying blind and playing around.

Second this. Patching a bad install doesn't make it better with 9070. It has to be done exactly according to the manual, so start over and do it correctly.

onurruno

by onurruno

You need to be sure that chain in line. That's why starting over is best solution for a smooth and flawless shifting & front trim.

Delorre

by Delorre

mai wrote:put it in big chainring/big cog combination and enter adjust mode (press and hold button under junction box). then try adjust the fd trim a couple of notches. press and hold the junction button again to save.

hope that helps.

Will try that this evening. I hope it doesn't only affect the position of the front mech when on the big ring. I've never ridden big-big I think, so I even don't know if trimming is needed or if it will mess up the current adjustment.

muntos

by muntos

I had the same problem and it was the FD not aligned with chainring.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Delorre wrote:
mai wrote:put it in big chainring/big cog combination and enter adjust mode (press and hold button under junction box). then try adjust the fd trim a couple of notches. press and hold the junction button again to save.

hope that helps.

Will try that this evening. I hope it doesn't only affect the position of the front mech when on the big ring. I've never ridden big-big I think, so I even don't know if trimming is needed or if it will mess up the current adjustment.

Blows my mind that you are not taking our advice on this. You wouldn't have any of these questions or concerns if you did.

ms6073

by ms6073

Agreed. For the OP, follow the advise and click on the following link to the Shimano 9070 Dealer manual, download/print out, then turn to chapter titled 'ADJUSTMENT' beginning on page 51, and follow the setup instructions. Do this and you will not ever need to ask these questions again!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Delorre

by Delorre

goodboyr wrote:
Delorre wrote:

hope that helps.

Blows my mind that you are not taking our advice on this. You wouldn't have any of these questions or concerns if you did.

Wow, calm down boys :lol: The install is pretty well done, no need to start from scratch, really. Tried the trim function in big/big, but 2 or 3 cliks up didn't seem to make any noticeable difference when back on the small ring. Was worth trying... The only thing I've done right now, is an 100% alignment of the front mech with the big ring. The cage was very, very slightly turned inward compared to the big ring. After the small tweak, the 'problem' is gone. Note, there was no rubbing when in the 4th cog, even under load, but the cage came a little to close to the chain to my liking. But case closed now, everything is fine 8) Thx for the advice on the cage alignement!

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Ok, then. Just out of interest, have you positioned the support bolt on the front derailleur properly? That would ensure stiffness and alignment.

Delorre

by Delorre

goodboyr wrote:Ok, then. Just out of interest, have you positioned the support bolt on the front derailleur properly? That would ensure stiffness and alignment.

Yep, I used the support bolt to put a little pressure on the front mech, also just enough to align it perfectly.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Great. Thanks, and safe riding!

:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com