Parlee Altum - Comfortable?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Curious to know what owners think of the comfort of this frame. Nice seatpost design but it is still the thicker 31.6 spec which can mean stiffer. I am looking for max comfort in a high end frame.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

JimV

by JimV

Owned Z5, selling my ESX keeping my Altum. I have never ridden a Parlee that did not have a 31.6 post so can't comment on the post. I think you need to decide what you are looking for. Max comfort is the Chebacco. The Altum is still a very capable race bike. You won't find a better all around sub 1100gr frame set.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yeah, I want to stay with something racey or close to it. Plenty of hammerfests, but I also like long rides at a slower pace.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

morrisond

by morrisond

Hi Mr. Gib - I'm debating the same thing.

I would have to guess that the new Domane is the most comfortable frame. However it is a Trek. I used to have an Z5SL and I was stunned by the quality of it's ride with 23mm tires.

That was with an ENVE fork which aren't known for Comfort

I would have to assume the Altum is even better and you can run 28's. You could run a smaller frame and a higher top cover and use the 25mm setback post as well which should give you some more seated comfort as well (thoeretically as you would have more leverage on the Post - assuming the same stiffness). Plus the Altum has an Parlee fork - which I would have to guess is more comfortable than the ENVE.

That being all said I'm contemplating an Mosaic RS1 with really short and thin Seatstays so that there is at least 20cm of exposed seatpost. I would use an 27.2 Ergon CF3 seatpost which works on the same principles as the new Domane and then use a THM CT Fork which according to TOUR tests is the most comfortable fork out there right now in terms of Vertical deflection.

Combine that with an ENVE Bar and stem (the combo seems to have a lot of comfort) and I think the comfort could approach the Domane and be at least as comfortable if not better than the Parlee and be a lot more unique.

The only downside of the CT fork is max 25mm tires - but you could always run GP4000's or Schwalbe Pro One tubeless which by all accounts are very smooth.

This fork and seatpost could work on any number of custom Steel - Ti or Carbon Custom frames, but I think the Mosaic S3 steel is quite comfy and from a cost standpoint would be less than the Parlee and right in there with the Trek - plus you could get totally custom geometry and Paint.

Just my 2c.

JimV

by JimV

I train on 202"s with Pave 27's. Super ride. You could run something wider in the front but the rear would get very tight along the chainstays. I race on 404's and 808's 90% of the time. I got tired of changing pads every weekend so once the weather changes the Askiums get put away. The improvement over the Z5 is a better out of the saddle bike and a stiffer front end, with no noticeable loss of comfort.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Good information all - thanks.

For comfort the new Domane SLR sounds unbeatable but two things bother me about it, crazy long wheelbase which will slow the handling, and the weight compared to the likes of the Altum.

I think its time to get out there and try some bikes.

keith

by keith

Once rode 300km in one day on my Parlee Z5SLi, super comfortable. I will never sell it!
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LEC135

by LEC135

I'm the same - Z5SL and as much as I'd love a new bike I can't find anything better so just keep upgrading/ changing bits

kode54

by kode54

like others, i kept the Z5 SLi because i never thought that anything could be better. then the AX Lightness Vial Evo D came around and i've been riding that. couldn't go back to the Z5 so i got an Altum to replace it. i've been slowly getting to finishing the build...but have been riding the ESX since the AX is getting repaired and resprayed. i have the Parlee seat post on the ESX and it helps out with smoothing out the bumps. i also have the Parlee comfort seat post for the Altum...which i think will be more comfortable on the Altum frame than on the stiffer ESX frame.

if you think the 31.6 diameter seat post will be harsh, try the Parlee seat post with the dampener built in. put 28mm tires on it to make it more plush.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well, it's all said and done now. I've been riding the Altum for several month. It is just an excellent bike. As comfortable as any race bike, very light and stiff, good clearance for 28 mm tires also (depending on tire and rim combo). I was a bit concerned about the geometry in terms of the tall front end, but I you choose the right size, use the smallest headset spacer, and get your reach with a long stem, it can be set up reasonably aggressively. I am quite thrilled with the whole package.

3 criticisms:
1. Too much toe overlap which is only an issue in the parking lot so not a legitimate complaint. But I never unclip when I stop, just track stand so I have to be careful. Having big feet doesn't help.

2. Depending on the size, the front end turn-in is not as quick as I prefer. The head tube angle is a bit more upright in the larger sizes which will calm down the handling. Most riders would probably prefer this but I prefer super quick steering. Of course as a result, despite its short wheelbase and low weight, the bike is incredibly stable in all situations.

3. The seatpost clamp uses a 4 mm hex bolt and asks for 8 nm of torque. That is too much torque for such a small bolt. It works but you have to be careful.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

Mr.Gib wrote:Well, it's all said and done now. I've been riding the Altum for several month. It is just an excellent bike. As comfortable as any race bike, very light and stiff, good clearance for 28 mm tires also (depending on tire and rim combo). I was a bit concerned about the geometry in terms of the tall front end, but I you choose the right size, use the smallest headset spacer, and get your reach with a long stem, it can be set up reasonably aggressively. I am quite thrilled with the whole package.

3 criticisms:
1. Too much toe overlap which is only an issue in the parking lot so not a legitimate complaint. But I never unclip when I stop, just track stand so I have to be careful. Having big feet doesn't help.

2. Depending on the size, the front end turn-in is not as quick as I prefer. The head tube angle is a bit more upright in the larger sizes which will calm down the handling. Most riders would probably prefer this but I prefer super quick steering. Of course as a result, despite its short wheelbase and low weight, the bike is incredibly stable in all situations.

3. The seatpost clamp uses a 4 mm hex bolt and asks for 8 nm of torque. That is too much torque for such a small bolt. It works but you have to be careful.

I have a Z5 SLi regular (not tall) medium now and am considering an Altum. I look at the geometry specs for the Altum I see that with the smallest spacer, the stack is the same as the Z5 tall and 24mm higher than the Z5 regular. Did you have to go higher to get a good fit?

I can fit 25's on my Z5 but just barely especially along the chainstays. I have to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered and true, otherwise I'll get rub. The 25mm GP4000SII's measure 27mm and the Corsa G+ 26mm, so having a little more room would be nice.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

eaglejackson wrote:I have a Z5 SLi regular (not tall) medium now and am considering an Altum. I look at the geometry specs for the Altum I see that with the smallest spacer, the stack is the same as the Z5 tall and 24mm higher than the Z5 regular. Did you have to go higher to get a good fit?

I can fit 25's on my Z5 but just barely especially along the chainstays. I have to make sure the wheel is perfectly centered and true, otherwise I'll get rub. The 25mm GP4000SII's measure 27mm and the Corsa G+ 26mm, so having a little more room would be nice.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by going higher (Sly and the Family Stone?). I was suggesting if people are concerned that the bike is too tall in the front end, they can size down and use a longer stem to retain their preferred reach. Eg, I am 183 cm tall and ride an ML with a 130 mm stem. It's a nice fit, decent saddle to bar drop. The bottom line is you will never be able to set it up with extreme saddle to bar drop. It's just not that bike. Probably more doctors and lawyers than racers riding Parlees. But it is still a huge step up IMO from the herd of endurance geometry bikes out there today. And if you get old or your spine, it can still work.

What sort of spacers to you have under your stem on the Z5? If you have a couple centimeters worth, than the Altum slammed will end up about the same. And you will indeed be thrilled with the tire clearance.

kode54

by kode54

Mr.Gib wrote:
eaglejackson wrote:I have a Z5 SLi regular (not tall) medium now and am considering an Altum. I look at the geometry specs for the Altum I see that with the smallest spacer, the stack is the same as the Z5 tall and 24mm higher than the Z5 regular. Did you have to go higher to get a good fit?

Sorry, not sure what you mean by going higher (Sly and the Family Stone?). I was suggesting if people are concerned that the bike is too tall in the front end, they can size down and use a longer stem to retain their preferred reach. Eg, I am 183 cm tall and ride an ML with a 130 mm stem. It's a nice fit, decent saddle to bar drop. The bottom line is you will never be able to set it up with extreme saddle to bar drop. It's just not that bike. Probably more doctors and lawyers than racers riding Parlees. But it is still a huge step up IMO from the herd of endurance geometry bikes out there today. And if you get old or your spine, it can still work.

What sort of spacers to you have under your stem on the Z5? If you have a couple centimeters worth, than the Altum slammed will end up about the same. And you will indeed be thrilled with the tire clearance.

he's talking about the head tube. the height of the tall comes close to the height of the Altum head tube with 12mm flex fit cap.

the Altum fits larger tires better than the Z5. yes, i got tire rub all over the place using 25mm in the rain where the tires picked up grit and small debris. and the chain stays were narrow as well as the top of the fork.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

rst72

by rst72

kode54 wrote:the Altum fits larger tires better than the Z5. yes, i got tire rub all over the place using 25mm in the rain where the tires picked up grit and small debris. and the chain stays were narrow as well as the top of the fork.

For those who love their Z5, but frustrated with tire clearance...

I sent my Z5SLI to Calfee...now fits 28mm tires with room to spare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

That work by Calfee is amazing. But it is a bit of a shame that Parlee didn't leave enough room for tires on their older models.

And @eaglejackson, if you were asking if I needed a taller head tube for a good fit my answer is sort of. I bought the Altum for the light weight, tire clearance, understated looks, brand desirability, and geometry. I do have a spinal injury, and although I am very flexible and don't ride in an upright position, I want a frame that will allow it if my spine gets worse. I run between 8 and 9 cm of drop from saddle to bar.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.