Parlee Altum - Comfortable?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

but now it's a whole other level of comfort for me.

I could barely tell the difference between 23s and 25s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rst72

by rst72

It's all relative.

At 180lbs, difference is night and day going from 23mm to 28mm.

boots2000

by boots2000

What model 28mm tires are you running?
Does the Altum have enough clearance for Conti GP 4000 II in 28mm?
I was just checking clearance on a Trek Emonda- the GP4000 II 28mm barely clears the top inside of the fork- So I am looking at other options.

Mr.Gib wrote:Well, it's all said and done now. I've been riding the Altum for several month. It is just an excellent bike. As comfortable as any race bike, very light and stiff, good clearance for 28 mm tires also (depending on tire and rim combo). I was a bit concerned about the geometry in terms of the tall front end, but I you choose the right size, use the smallest headset spacer, and get your reach with a long stem, it can be set up reasonably aggressively. I am quite thrilled with the whole package.

3 criticisms:
1. Too much toe overlap which is only an issue in the parking lot so not a legitimate complaint. But I never unclip when I stop, just track stand so I have to be careful. Having big feet doesn't help.

2. Depending on the size, the front end turn-in is not as quick as I prefer. The head tube angle is a bit more upright in the larger sizes which will calm down the handling. Most riders would probably prefer this but I prefer super quick steering. Of course as a result, despite its short wheelbase and low weight, the bike is incredibly stable in all situations.

3. The seatpost clamp uses a 4 mm hex bolt and asks for 8 nm of torque. That is too much torque for such a small bolt. It works but you have to be careful.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Hey Boots,

Regarding tire clearance, 28 mm GP 4000 will fit depending on the rim. I tried with Pacenti SL 23 V2 and they barely cleared but IMO could not be ridden safely. 25 mm GP 4000 on that rim leaves loads of space, and a smaller 28 from another manufacturer would probably work. Fact is, the 28 mm GP 4000 is a freakin' massive tire and on a wide rim is is a baloon - measure aprox 32 mm on the Pacenti. It might work on a narrower rim though. FWIW I preferred the handling with 25 mm. The bike is pretty comfy and unless you are on really bad roads or gravel, 25 mm seems optimal. The Altum is light and tight and you lose some of that with a squishy 28 mm at sub 90 psi. I am currently running Michelin Power Comp 25 mm on rims that have a 17 mm internal width.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

boots2000

by boots2000

I guess that we like different things in terms of tires.
I love that 700x28mm Conti GP4000 II- I run it at 60 in front and 65 in back.
Not squishy at all for me. I descend fast and the tire does not feel slow uphill.

When you say that it barely clears, where and how does it barely clear? Is it height that is an issue or width?
Wouldn't a wider rim make the tire less tall but wider?

Mr.Gib wrote:Hey Boots,

Regarding tire clearance, 28 mm GP 4000 will fit depending on the rim. I tried with Pacenti SL 23 V2 and they barely cleared but IMO could not be ridden safely. 25 mm GP 4000 on that rim leaves loads of space, and a smaller 28 from another manufacturer would probably work. Fact is, the 28 mm GP 4000 is a freakin' massive tire and on a wide rim is is a baloon - measure aprox 32 mm on the Pacenti. It might work on a narrower rim though. FWIW I preferred the handling with 25 mm. The bike is pretty comfy and unless you are on really bad roads or gravel, 25 mm seems optimal. The Altum is light and tight and you lose some of that with a squishy 28 mm at sub 90 psi. I am currently running Michelin Power Comp 25 mm on rims that have a 17 mm internal width.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry, can't remember exactly where the clearance issue was. IIRC it was close to chainstays and rear brake bridge - so both width and height. I never tried Pacenti V2/ Conti 28 combo on the front.

FYI a wider rim makes a tire both wider and taller. I think this issue has be addressed and settled on this forum. Even on a wider rim, there is still some light bulb effect, and until you get beyond that, the tire will continue to get taller as the internal width of the rim increases. At a certain point a wider rim could be so wide as to "pull" the tire back down as the tire reaches for the bead hooks. But I am not sure that extreme is even possible. A tire in that situation may be at risk of blow-off.

I do run GP 4000 28 mm on my winter trainer on rims with a 21 mm internal width. Huge, and I run them pretty soft so I appreciate the advantages. FWIW, to me it just didn't seem right on the Altum. Part if the problem was a lack of stability in aggressive cornering. (Sprinting wasn't ideal either). I could feel too much deformation/deflection in the tire from the lateral loading when I was pushing the limits. This can lead to some unpredictable behaviour with the bike leaned over. I also weigh around 180 lbs/80 kg, so that's a factor also. Otherwise big soft tires are perfectly fine.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

boots2000 wrote:What model 28mm tires are you running?
Does the Altum have enough clearance for Conti GP 4000 II in 28mm?
I was just checking clearance on a Trek Emonda- the GP4000 II 28mm barely clears the top inside of the fork- So I am looking at other options.

I run 25mm GP+4s on an Ardennes Plus rim on the Altum. After some time riding, this combination measures about 29mm.

Also, a very nice riding combination.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Well that's exactly it. On wide rims 25 mm can get pretty big, particularly if you are dealing with GP4000 SII. Going even bigger is OK, but depending on usage maybe not worth the trade-off.

kode54

by kode54

boots2000 wrote:I guess that we like different things in terms of tires.
Not squishy at all for me. I descend fast and the tire does not feel slow uphill.

When you say that it barely clears, where and how does it barely clear? Is it height that is an issue or width?

that's really low tire pressure...for a tube tire. where i live, that will pinch flat coming out of my driveway.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

If you would pinch that easily, maybe it is not the pressure but the tire itself.
That is why tubeless works so well for offroad and gravel applications.

kode54 wrote:
boots2000 wrote:I guess that we like different things in terms of tires.

that's really low tire pressure...for a tube tire. where i live, that will pinch flat coming out of my driveway.

kode54

by kode54

tubeless would work at that low pressure...but a tubed tire? hit a pothole and you'll get a snake bite, yes?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

boots2000

by boots2000

Have yet to fiat a G4000 II 700x28mm at 60 psi.
As tires get larger you should run lower pressure.
I run the 700x25 GP4000 at around 80 psi-

kode54 wrote:tubeless would work at that low pressure...but a tubed tire? hit a pothole and you'll get a snake bite, yes?

ShutUpLegsNow

by ShutUpLegsNow

Can any of you ESX / Altum owners help with this post please - Kode54? JimV?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143993

syplam

by syplam

ShutUpLegsNow wrote:Can any of you ESX / Altum owners help with this post please - Kode54? JimV?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143993

May i kno what size r u getting and ur height and inseam? Im 175cm/75cm and im wondering if the M/S altum would be a good fit...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk