New Carbon Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

BmanX

by BmanX

Their stems are bloody heavy.

Not sure about the cranks yet.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

super short lengths on the stems kept me from even reading much. Not sure what to think considering its posted on indiegogo and Flex funded. Cranks are appealing, but I think I want to see some info or that this turns into something as opposed to a $ loss. Not like the amount is huge, but if it didnt pan out there are other things i'd rather waste cash on.

BmanX

by BmanX

I would actually like the 165mm for my tri bike but then I need to get a new chainring again.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

VTBike

by VTBike

Just seems strange. Great crank lengths for kids bikes. I worry that they aren't actually marketing to people who are serious about bikes. But they clearly also talk alot about weight.. so I just don't even know. Which in my book means stay away.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I don't know what "forged carbon" means but it sounds like short-fiber reinforced injection molded plastic i.e, the kind of stuff your pedals are made of.

pavel

by pavel

sram spider?

Marin

by Marin

You can get a Red crank that's lighter and definitely stiffer for less.

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

two things for me cause question. 1) INDIEGOGO or INDIESCAMSCAM. It is well known to be one of the most untrustworthy crowd funding sites. They need little info to prove anything is in development, no prototype or sample really. Very lax across the board.

2) its flexible funded, meaning they get any and all money right as its sent, it doesnt need to hit the goal in order for it to be successful. Not aying the project is a scam, but with all that has come to light on indie and how it works it seems like someone could create a pretty elaborate scam to get "free" money. Some people think the limits powermeter is just that.

I also think it sounds like the reinforced plastics, and would want to have some info on the strength, etc.

Marin, not sure what type of pricing you're getting for sram red, but unless you're scoring a last second deal on ebay that no one else saw I doubt you're able to score a sram red crank at $138USD. I guess i'd have to check my red cranks but I'm pretty sure they arent 415g.

Marin

by Marin

Oh, ok, I thought 329$ was the price... no, Red aren't 99$, but mine are 407g WITH spider.

I got the 2 I have for about 140€ each, pre-owned.

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

what red model do you have?

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

SRAM Red, Exogram, BB30, no chainrings, no tuning = 371g.

Do some research, please.

:roll:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

looks like i need to swap my old models to the exogram, though i havent touched any of my sram bikes in years. Cranks have been my main area where i havent tried to shed much weight lately, as i've only been riding rotor 3d+ with power2max. Those certainly arent the lightest.

no need to be a prick about the research part though.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Meh...Not being a prick, it's more like just typing in "sram red cranks weight" and seeing image results. Since the current version of Red cranks have been around for a few years the older models are less likely to show up in results. Plus they've been discussed quite a bit on here on this forum, and the cranks haven't changed in at least 3 years or so, even when they went to 11 speed rear. Still much lighter than advertised because the advertised weight includes the very heavy SRAM Red chainrings.

If you're using a powermeter and want to go light, P2M is a great choice.
THM M3 + SRM is light but expensive.
You can take a Stages powermeter for SRAM Red/Force carbon cranks then add a spindle of the length you need, but it's left arm only.
The watteam powermeter should have a carbon-compatible version soon, individual left/right readings, weight tbd, and you can just add that to your cranks.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

I have the powerbeat already (as well as the vectors, keo power, Rotor SRM, p1, few powertaps). Those unit are really only used for testing purposes. I only use my 3d+ power2max or hollowgram p2max if im actually riding. Weight wise if i want to shed some grams on the crank and use power i'll probably swap to a campy from power2max.

I like riding and testing out new stuff, thus the link to the funding project. I dont see myself swapping cranks for actual riding, but i'd toss some cash at the project and test one out if it turns out to be legit and developed. I'd rather not fund some guys family vacation though. I've already funded the Limits "take your money and run" project along with a few others. Now that i know there are mass produced non boutique cranks at lower weights it makes me a little less enticed too, but for $139 its worth riding a time or two and even cutting apart if it does get developed. Still probably far les risky than a Ciamillo transaction.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com