New Carbon Cranks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stefano

by Stefano

From the website: chopped strand carbon with vinyl-ester resin (as opposed to epoxy). The only times I've ever heard of vinyl-ester resins in structural applications are boats and tooling- most formulations don't bond well to carbon fiber either. Very curious about their strength/ safety factors, especially at those weights.

AJS914

by AJS914

wiRIDEfast wrote:
I like riding and testing out new stuff, thus the link to the funding project. I dont see myself swapping cranks for actual riding, but i'd toss some cash at the project and test one out if it turns out to be legit and developed.

After seeing a team mate crash when his lightweight boutique crank broke off above the pedal, I'd never screw around with small production cranks. I will only ride name brand cranks with a good track record. And I'd never throw money at some vaporware carbon crank. How are they going to realistically do it better and cheaper than Campagnolo, Sram, Shimano, etc.?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

AJS914 wrote:
After seeing a team mate crash when his lightweight boutique crank broke off above the pedal, I'd never screw around with small production cranks. I will only ride name brand cranks with a good track record. And I'd never throw money at some vaporware carbon crank. How are they going to realistically do it better and cheaper than Campagnolo, Sram, Shimano, etc.?

In all likelihood they're not. Agree on the strength, there's no way i'd be riding these outdoors until proven on the trainer, and likely not even then. To me, if it doesnt prove to be vaporware its worth the cost to pick one up and test it out. If it doesnt seem quality then It could always become a cool door handle or decoration. Obviously that make it a fail at its intended purpose, but enough of a loss of $ that i'd be upset or really bothered by it.

It would be interesting to see if fairwheel could test one of these out, i'd be willing to foot the bill for the crank if they do exist.

Stefano

by Stefano

Just a question for anyone who knows- what types of safety standards are cranksets held to in order to be sold in the US/EU? I know there are several government regulations, but is there a loophole like that for custom frames? (e.g. one-offs don't have to undergo destruction testing).

perwjensen

by perwjensen

I'm sceptic of this product. If they focus on kids bikes and odd sizes then probably doesn't have the needed stiffness and perhaps strength for the power of an adult.

BmanX

by BmanX

The more I think about it the more I am thinking it would not be that bad for my son BUT, I am sure I can get something that size but stronger and maybe even cheaper.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Short crank arms are becoming real popular in the recumbent and triathlon groups. I don't know anything about them but that could be their market.

BmanX

by BmanX

165mm is very popular in tri and I would like to try that size as well. Just not these ones.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

esta

by esta

Just created an account to enter this discussion.
My guess is the crankarm is "forged" with a bmc-process (bulk molding compound), basicly it is a short carbon fibre reinforced polyester resin.
I have no doubt that it is possible to manufacture a crank with this process, but the crank length scaling makes no sense at all. Every cranklength would require a different mold, milled or by edm from steel. This is massively expensive way too much for a 140 mm crank, which has nearly no demand at all.

Aside the technical details I think it is strange that there are no details about the "creators". Usually people put stuff in like " Hi im dudexyz I am an engineer and i love bikes... etc, thats why I wanted to create this project.". Even worse, have google translate your Project to different languages just to lure more people in won't make it any more trustworthy.

To me the project looks fishy or brutally naive.

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

i agree completely. No information, no background, nothing that explains their experience in carbon fiber product manufacture. Just "carbon.bike"

I've been watching it just to see what happens if there are any reviews, or if any even get made. It appears many of the pieces are there, so i'm not sure what the hold up is or why not just take orders. I'm willing to risk the money on a product that turns out sub par, but i'm not willing to fund vaporware or someone's vacation or toys. I've done that already with the Limits powermeter and numerous other scam projects. so if they ever are available, i'll be buying one at least, but not until I know there is in fact a product and its in a stage where i pay and i get my product within a week or two later, and with a payment method that has me covered.

Indiegogo, is full of scams, and the fact that it is flexible funding (they get all the money given no matter what) makes me have doubts. I'm also additionally hesitant not of the product or if it will be junk, but just the vagueness/and dodgy answers. Take a look at the facebook page, the answers given rarely answer the question and give no insight into product or whom is behind it.

Synnove

by Synnove

Basically, the process is the same that is used by Campy to manufacture their carbon cranks (compression molding), so they aren't making things up. That being said, I will not be buying one. As I posted on ST:

I posted a question on their FB page inquiring as to if they'd be willing to send one of their cranks to Fairwheel for testing, and I posted a link to their crank review. I also stated that, while I'm interested in their product, I'm not keen on buying things that lack data behind them.

This was the reply I received:

"That is what a 400 dollar crank? made of the same material, that is partially hollow with a much more slim profile. Ours are solid, beefier and again same material. The reassuring blanket you seek is already wrapped around you friend..."

The crank the individual is referring to is a Campy crank that was the thumbnail of the article I posted. Basically seems they didn't even read the article, and I cannot help but interpret that last sentence as rather condescending.

AZR3

by AZR3

Lol, that response doesn't reassure me but it does remove any consideration I may have had to try their product.

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

I don't think that response works for anyone. Every response has been haphazard and never answers the actual question. It's not the same people, but this campaign is run like the limits campaign.

I really don't understand who whomever is running the campaign for these cranks doesn't understand that "they're good enough simply because we say they are" isn't a valid response. Simply because campagnolo used a similar process doesn't mean that these are going to be that quality or be up to the task. I have no issue with the process in general, but I do have an issue with not knowing if the person or company behind the project has any relevant experience in carbon manufacturing. Simply put, anyone could glue a piece of carbon fiber to a broken top tube on a frame in attempt to fix it, but that doesn't mean its the right process or that it is going to work.

I get a kick out of the response about sending one to fairwheel....they're welcome to test our crank. REALLY??!!! Send them one then! Heck, send me a paypal invoice and i'll even pay for the crank and the shipping.

BmanX

by BmanX

I would be willing to split the cost with you to have a pair sent to Fairwheel to get them tested. If they test well then I would buy a couple of pairs for sure.

However, they will be going on my son's bike and my wife's 1X10 MTB. LOL/
BIG DADDY B FLOW

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wiRIDEfast

by wiRIDEfast

I've tried, i can't get a real answer out of whomever. I get told that I have to fund the project. When I brought up my questions and concerns, etc as well as testing through fair wheel I was told that they reached out to lots of media, companies, and others and that no one would respond to them. I have a hard time believing that they couldn't get a single person to answer, especially someone like fairwheel if they offered them a free demo/review crank.