Cable issues Cervelo S2.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Hi
I think I might be having a bit of cabling issues on my Cervelo S2. Its the older model where the cables enters on the top tube just behind the stem.
I am running 11 speed Campag record/super record mix, and have never been really satisfied with the shifting :( The LBS says that the cables bends too much in the frame, for the cables to run smooth. I am running Campy cables on it, and the lbs have adjusted the gears. This weekend I borrowd my father in law´s old Vitus frame with a 9 speed campy groupset, i was shocked to find that the gears on that had more crips gear changes :shock: Are there other cables out there that might be a better fit for the bike? Other suggestions, apart from getting another frame ? ;)
Bike is this:
(cranks upgraded to SR after this pic was taken)
I am a bit pissed to have spent quite a lot of €€€ on a highend geargroup but only to have mediocre shifting

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BmanX

by BmanX

I have the older SLC that I have modified to have the same shifter cable run as your bike. I am running Sram Red on that build and the shifting is great. I did upgrade the cable housing to Ilink Mini which I feel work very well and the bends are nice. I did not run them around the stem like you have and then into the ports on the top tube. Here is what I have done and the bend seems to be more gentle than what you have done.

BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

lwrncc

by lwrncc

I have a 2011 S2 with 6800, Shifting is fine. Comparable to my externally routed EVO.

I followed the routing similar to Thor Hushovd's bike pictured below.

"It doesn't get easier, you just go faster"

http://bb2stem.blogspot.com.au/

mattyNor

by mattyNor

I rebuild my dad's s2 (same era frame as yours alpinestar) with 6800 ultegra. I took a lot of care to make sure the housing ends were cut cleanly and had nice round smooth openings. I also put a few drops of light chain lube in the housing. The shifting is almost as good as an externally routed bike with resorting to exotic housing or cables.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mattr

by mattr

alpinestar wrote:Other suggestions, apart from getting another frame ? ;)
I'd redo the cabling at the front end, looks like a nightmare of too many bends!

calleking

by calleking

I had a 2010 S2 that is now sold. Even if you did nice cable routing above the stem it was a nightmare to hook up the housing inside that little box on the down tube. It wasn't impossible just very very frustrating at times.
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

alpinestar

by alpinestar

A few more pictures of the cabeling:
Perhaps I should try to redo the cables like Thor Hushovd's bike, even though I think my solution is easier on the eye ;)
But yes Calleking, the cabeling is a frigging nightmare to do in that little box! A very bad solution from Cervelo!
Should I go with Campy cables again, or try something else?

calleking

by calleking

Nice work! I liked the frame very much but I actually sold it mostly due to this reason. I tried to come up with some DIY solution but failed.
My new bike is fantastic but the S2 wasn't far off. Shame about the down tube box. I'd like to think that I would have kept it otherwise :)
2022 Wilier Filante SLR Dura-Ace/Ultegra Di2 12sp
2021 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 2

Retired:
2018 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Sagan Superstar DA 9150
2016 Aeroad CF SLX UDi2
2016 CAAD12 - SRAM Red 22 - Hyper 50mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nickcube

by nickcube

Have you tried any of the linked outer cables from jagwire or alligator like on BmanX's bike? That would certainly help, and also rerouting the cables like Husvold's steed. One of the rules to getting your gear cables right is to never cross them over (thanks sugarkane :wink: )