Campagnolo Power Meters - Stages or Power2Max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I've been waiting for the Campy Stages PM but it's been put back till the end of May now in the UK so am considering the Power2Max Type S 2015 but am not sure the accuracy is brilliant at that price point. Anyone got any experience of Power2Max vs Stages? I can't afford SRM and all the other crank based options I've looked at are just plain ugly. Not sure if I should wait for the stages or just get the Power2Max. I don't like power pedals and don't want a powerhub and I want something that will look good on my Super Record equipped bike.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

claus

by claus

If you are worried about accuracy: Power2Max, not Stages.
The latter can only be accurate if your L/R balance doesn't change...
and if you haven't measured that with a PM that provides real (not estimated) L/R balance you will never know how far off the displayed power values are.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

P2M is the best power meter solution on the market atm, it's accurate, proven, have a great price point and it measures both sides of the leg (even if it's calculated).

TimW

by TimW

P2Max Campag user here. Simply flawless. The second P2M I bought as the first (rotor) was also perfect - still going strong on Winter bike.

If you want accuracy and reliability you can't go wrong with P2M.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Yes my LR balance not bad (about 1-2% stronger on the Right leg consistently apart from all out efforts when it's negligible bizarrely. Tried to correct it but couldn't even with single reg drills and weight training, no matter what I do my right leg is slightly more powerful and nearly 30mm bigger in diameter. My Doctor was surprised it stayed bigger even when I spent 2 months on crutches after surgery on my right hip!!
Ridden SRM Campy PM's and loved them but currently in the UK they are a little too costly at £2170. The choice was between the P2M at £1465 in the UK (so much cheaper in the US but they wont ship) or waiting for Stages at £899. Both quote 2% accuracy compared to 1% from SRM. If i was in the US i'd happily buy the P2M but it just does not seem such good value in the UK

nlouthan

by nlouthan

P2M all the way. I have two and they're great.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

P2m is the way to go. They offer 2 different versions. I prefer the old style vs the 4 arm

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Hmmm looking like a p2m. Anybody used one and an SRM to compare? Mike I actually love the new 4 arm campy cranks which is unfortunate because they are discounting the 5 arm by 300 euros.

drhex

by drhex

P2M works well for me, too. Have the new style one as you can easily change between compact and 53/39 with it. Just be careful to install the lock ring the right way round, wide part goes to the outside, the clip will otherwise lock the crank is (almost) impossible to get out as you can't turn the crank. Also, you need the tool to mount (knock on) the Campa bearing, which isn't part of the P2M package. Lastly, getting said bearing off again (e.g. to turn the lockring over) is quite difficult as there is no space to get the puller behind the bearing (at least the PT one). Dont ask how I know all this :-). Otherwise great value for money.
Florian

russianbear

by russianbear

I haven't seen any evidence that correcting an imbalance improves power. Having said that, P2M is the best solution for your SR bike right now I'd say.

mrgray

by mrgray

sorry no stages experience but I use both P2Max and SRM. SRM is getting cheaper. I got a 4 arm for ~ $3,200 AUD (~ 1600 quid) and just bought a second hand 5 arm for 1850 AUD.

P2Max has been, as someone else said, flawless however SRM with a Power Control unit does seem to get higher resolution data which makes the tiniest difference (mainly in aggregate energy expended and in short burst performance).

I have a P2Max Campy 5 arm with 1,000 km's on it want to sell (50/34 and 172.5). pls PM if you are interested.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

cmcdonnell wrote:I've been waiting for the Campy Stages PM but it's been put back till the end of May now in the UK

Where did you see this? Saddleback (the UK Stages distributor) have just told me they're due at the end of April. In any case I'm in the same boat as you with all Campag bikes and got tired of waiting, so after procrastinating all winter I pulled the trigger on a Power2Max 4 arm and I haven't regretted it for a second. Dead easy to install and set up with consistent, reliable performance and not too heavy. It laughed in the face of the damp (understatement) weather in Mallorca last month.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Saw it on 700 as they are the only place I can see actually offering stages for sale in the uk.
http://www.7hundred.co.uk/41897/product ... ecord.aspx

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onurruno

by onurruno

Thumbs up for p2max. Yeah I know there are many things to compare between different type of power meters from several manufacturers but many users & reviewers concluded that real power applied is best measured from spider.
Take a look again on DC Rainmaker pm comparisons which I found simply impressive.