Campagnolo Power Meters - Stages or Power2Max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pugrot

by Pugrot

Actually some more thoughts--so you don't have to go through torture of trying to pull a bearing use some high strength loctite on the lock ring on install... Then you'll have no issues!

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I've pre-ordered a Stages as I can't see any other option than is aesthetically pleasing (to me) and affordable. Been told end of June so we'll see. If they can't supply by Sep I'll cancel and save over the winter and probably put a Quarq or even the pig ugly Infocranks on my winter bike. Tried the pedals and don't like them at all. SRM too much as are the P2M. Looked at the 5-arm P2M but I'm one of the few that love the look of the 4-arm cranks on modern bikes.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

This isn't even a question, P2M.
Instagram @seanblurr

CTracer

by CTracer

I have several Stages PMs as well as a newer P2M. Most riders would never notice the L/R balance everyone is concerned about with the Stages. Every PM is a bit different. Once you have some baseline data on yourself with a Stages you are good to go. That being said, the battery cover on the Stages is a joke and I have often had to dry it out after a wet ride to stop rapid battery drain. The little tabs on the cover also easily break so have some spares on hand. So far the P2M has been solid but I only have a brief history with it. P2M customer service is very good. My 1st crank (FSA) did not fit my frame and they quickly got me a replacement to get me going. If you want cheap and light Stages is not a bad option but for a few more $$ you can get an albeit heavier P2M which should be more reliable based on user's experience.

CTracer

metamatic

by metamatic

Just got replies from a couple of retailers here in Italy and the Stages Campagnolo MIGHT be available in July. So I've just ordered a P2Max Campagnolo 2015 :shock:

fogman

by fogman

Stages for Campagnolo Carbon cranks are not quite ready yet. As I understand it, it has something to do with the carbon layup being slightly different from crank to crank. So the strain gauge needs calibration. Whereas aluminum cranks are machined and are pretty standard from crank to crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Sounds like you've already made up your mind because of the 5 to 4 arm situation but I have a 5 arm Campy P2M along with an SRM, another P2M for my S Works cranks and 4 Quarqs. I love the P2M's for various reasons related to PM geekdom and would say I doubt the data less on them than maybe any of the others. Basically, I'd never question their accuracy based off my experience with other PM's (have had 3 PowerTaps in the past as well....).

drhex

by drhex

You can (and should) install the locking spring. It only fits if the wide side of the P2M lockring is facing outwards, else the spring will block the ring and thereby the crank. Spring is needed to keep the drive side bearing and therfore the crank from sliding sideways. Depending on the width of your bottom bracket you may get away without it but wouldn't risk it.
Florian
Pugrot wrote:
drhex wrote:P2M works well for me, too. Have the new style one as you can easily change between compact and 53/39 with it. Just be careful to install the lock ring the right way round, wide part goes to the outside, the clip will otherwise lock the crank is (almost) impossible to get out as you can't turn the crank. Also, you need the tool to mount (knock on) the Campa bearing, which isn't part of the P2M package. Lastly, getting said bearing off again (e.g. to turn the lockring over) is quite difficult as there is no space to get the puller behind the bearing (at least the PT one). Dont ask how I know all this :-). Otherwise great value for money.
Florian

All very true and worthy of consideration, I ended up spending a few hours modifying the park tool bearing puller with a file and can now pull it off. Also p2m cannot have the drive side dust cap or the locking spring fitted. Pretty minor grumbles though and so far completely solid performance.

I too would go for the old five arm cranks, I have no need for compact and campy took an unholy bad design decision to tap blind threaded holes into the the crank spider on the new 4 arm version. Wtf were they thinking...actually would swap my 4 arms for 5s simply cos of this.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Pugrot wrote:
drhex wrote:P2M works well for me, too. Have the new style one as you can easily change between compact and 53/39 with it. Just be careful to install the lock ring the right way round, wide part goes to the outside, the clip will otherwise lock the crank is (almost) impossible to get out as you can't turn the crank. Also, you need the tool to mount (knock on) the Campa bearing, which isn't part of the P2M package. Lastly, getting said bearing off again (e.g. to turn the lockring over) is quite difficult as there is no space to get the puller behind the bearing (at least the PT one). Dont ask how I know all this :-). Otherwise great value for money.
Florian

All very true and worthy of consideration, I ended up spending a few hours modifying the park tool bearing puller with a file and can now pull it off. Also p2m cannot have the drive side dust cap or the locking spring fitted. Pretty minor grumbles though and so far completely solid performance.

I too would go for the old five arm cranks, I have no need for compact and campy took an unholy bad design decision to tap blind threaded holes into the the crank spider on the new 4 arm version. Wtf were they thinking...actually would swap my 4 arms for 5s simply cos of this.

Me too. Grinding down the Park tool bearing puller does work and then the bearings do come off easily. i am sure there are off-the-shelf pullers out there, but I already had the tool for my non-PM Campag.

metamatic

by metamatic

Does the p2max Campagnolo come preassembled? Can I just remove my current crank, move the chainrings on the p2max and install the new crankset or have to lock the spider, install the bearings etc...?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

No you have to assemble it yourself, but it's straightforward as long as you have the lockring tool (which they sell separately) and the means to install the bearings.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

metamatic

by metamatic

Had the Campy P2Max installed yesterday and had a short ride. I couldn't imagine how different it is. Works like a charm and looks great too. :D

dogrange

by dogrange

How about the new bePRO power pedals - DC rainmaker says they are OK, are double sided, don't look too bad are ~$850 and are available now (at least in the US). Only downside to me is tha they are Look cleats, so I'd have to change from Shimano, but I could handle it.

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Whilst this thread is clearly about stages-v-power2max, I'd like to ask (without starting another thread on it) what about power2max-v-SRM? The SRM is now a third cheaper (makes it about £2200ish) whilst the I think the P2M is about £800 less than that. Given that one still needs to buy chainrings & the special tool for the P2M, which lessens the difference, which one to go for? Points for consideration in addition to cost should be durability, serviceability & ease of use.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

^Owning both, I'd just go with the P2M if I was starting over. I dont feel my SRM does anything the p2m doesnt and costs less and I can change the battery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com