Campagnolo Power Meters - Stages or Power2Max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrgray

by mrgray

also OP i know you raise stages and P2Max but probike shop on ebay has some stellar deals on SRM right now. i bought one today. be worth sending them an email if you are interested.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

mrgray wrote:also OP i know you raise stages and P2Max but probike shop on ebay has some stellar deals on SRM right now. i bought one today. be worth sending them an email if you are interested.

Thanks for that info I will look into it. Not sure where they are based as often it cost crazy amounts to import to the uk. With regards to you offer, thanks but I need a 170 crank length and ideally want semi compact but could live with a standard.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

mrgray

by mrgray

for what it is worth when they sent me the last one i ordered, without any prompting on my behalf they labelled the box with a low value and so there was no import duty payable. of course the corollary of that is that there was also no insurance.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

metamatic

by metamatic

Same questions here...
I have a Canyon Ultimate with a nice Campagnolo Chorus 2016. Love the look of the crankset and would like to somewhat preserve it. I've used a set of Look Keo Power for 6 months and frankly they're too unreliable, or at least need to much maintenance in order to prevent data dropouts or glitches (correct torque and spindle alignment being the main issues).
So I don't want any pedal based PM, and the only Campy based solutions are the not yet released Stages for Campagnolo Chorus and a Power2Max Campagnolo 2015 (SRM out of my budget).

The Stages seem the best/cheapest solution (barely noticable, will keep my current crankset) but I'm very concerned about left-only measurement and reliability. On the other hand Campy p2max is totally overpriced in my opinion, and even if I could afford it I can barely justify dropping such an amount of money. I know I could get say a FSA K-Force Light p2m for less, but this would mean replacing the bb (extracting the pressfit campy cups and fitting the FSA bb) and I'd like to keep the bike the way it is bb-wise.
If i were sure the Stages is valid and reliable I would definitely wait for it, but still it gets mixed feedbacks, even if the "scientific" reviews I've read agree that left-only measurement is not a problem for most cyclists. For me, on the keo power, during an interval/effort the L/R balance has always been like 50-50 or 51-49, and total balance (say on a 4 hours ride) never much more than 53-47.
But still no idea of what to get :(

Dodger747

by Dodger747

Powertap P1s? I know they are pedal based but look really easy to fit...

I have Vectors on my SR cranks and love them! I know others have issues however...

helldiver

by helldiver

@metamatic :
I know you have 2015+ campagnolo, but have a look at the older power2max campagnolo type s - they have some last items for pretty big discount, so compared to 1590e for 2015+ crankset powermeter (actually 1820e when you include chainrings + installation tool), you can have the 2014 crankset + tool + chainrings for 1280e. Mind you, the power measuring element is exactly the same on both cranksets (type s released in 2014) and the older crankset will fit your BB just fine. Another thing, the campagnolo P2Max option is expensive compared to another cranksets in their portfolio, but you have to understand that you will also get super-record hollow crankarms with CULT bearings, those are pretty expensive even as a plain crankset without PM :) . The only gotcha for the cheaper 2014 crankset is that the only length left is 170mm, but that was fine for me (i had 172,5mm chorus crankset before). Also i had to remove the bearing seals from BB cups before installing the crankset (otherwise you are kind of negating the CULT benefit), but that's super easy as well.

metamatic

by metamatic

helldiver wrote:@metamatic :
I know you have 2015+ campagnolo, but have a look at the older power2max campagnolo type s - they have some last items for pretty big discount, so compared to 1590e for 2015+ crankset powermeter (actually 1820e when you include chainrings + installation tool), you can have the 2014 crankset + tool + chainrings for 1280e. Mind you, the power measuring element is exactly the same on both cranksets (type s released in 2014) and the older crankset will fit your BB just fine. Another thing, the campagnolo P2Max option is expensive compared to another cranksets in their portfolio, but you have to understand that you will also get super-record hollow crankarms with CULT bearings, those are pretty expensive even as a plain crankset without PM :) . The only gotcha for the cheaper 2014 crankset is that the only length left is 170mm, but that was fine for me (i had 172,5mm chorus crankset before). Also i had to remove the bearing seals from BB cups before installing the crankset (otherwise you are kind of negating the CULT benefit), but that's super easy as well.

Thanks, i was aware of the discount on the older Campagnolo crankset. Unfortunately it is not available on the Italian p2max website (I'm from Italy), but I guess I can still buy from the german one, and It's got 172.5s as well. I would be forced to get 50/34 though, as there's no 52/36 (which is what I'm on at the moment on my Chorus crankset) and 53/39 is too wide for me.
Actually I would mount my current chainrings on the 2015 campy, but still it would cost more than 1600 euro shipped, so "just" a 300 euro discount which still keeps me on the fence :noidea:

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

You can't actually put stages garbage on beautiful campagnolo cranksets now can you....

junchen

by junchen

mulletmaster wrote:You can't actually put stages garbage on beautiful campagnolo cranksets now can you....

Really????

Can u see the stages pm from the pic above?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Those pictures came out last August. Eight months later you still can't buy them.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

junchen

by junchen

Fair enough.. I see however that they are available for preorders so launching would probably be weeks away.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

^No, that pre-order option has been on the 7hundred page since November and the estimated delivery date gets put back every month. I contacted Saddleback (the UK Stages distributor) about this and was told that the latest from Stages is that it will be June by the time they're able to supply retailers, with "the drop due to land at the end of this month." I'm taking that with a big pinch of salt as they said the same last month. Apparently "the difficulty has been in Stages obtaining the materials from Campagnolo." Basically a piss-poor situation whatever the cause.

mulletmaster

by mulletmaster

I don't care what it looks like or what it costs. A stages random number generator wouldn't be going near my bike after last time. Fool me once shame on you...

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

P2M 4 arm looks fantastic in the flesh too.
Using Tapatalk

Pugrot

by Pugrot

drhex wrote:P2M works well for me, too. Have the new style one as you can easily change between compact and 53/39 with it. Just be careful to install the lock ring the right way round, wide part goes to the outside, the clip will otherwise lock the crank is (almost) impossible to get out as you can't turn the crank. Also, you need the tool to mount (knock on) the Campa bearing, which isn't part of the P2M package. Lastly, getting said bearing off again (e.g. to turn the lockring over) is quite difficult as there is no space to get the puller behind the bearing (at least the PT one). Dont ask how I know all this :-). Otherwise great value for money.
Florian

All very true and worthy of consideration, I ended up spending a few hours modifying the park tool bearing puller with a file and can now pull it off. Also p2m cannot have the drive side dust cap or the locking spring fitted. Pretty minor grumbles though and so far completely solid performance.

I too would go for the old five arm cranks, I have no need for compact and campy took an unholy bad design decision to tap blind threaded holes into the the crank spider on the new 4 arm version. Wtf were they thinking...actually would swap my 4 arms for 5s simply cos of this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com