Campagnolo Power Meters - Stages or Power2Max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Does the P2M come with the CULT bearings? The SRM does. That's not an insignificant cost. Plus, I don't think there's anything that touches the SRM aesthetically. Super clean looking. Batteries last a very very long time (years, 1900 hours, at an average of say 15mph that's ~28,000 miles / 45,000 kilometers). And everything is extremely well sealed from the elements. I guess it depends if those things are worth the difference to you. They both show power like different watches tell time. Pick the one you like in your budget.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Yes on the Cult bearings.

Outside of that, aesthetics is more a personal preference. I'm happy with both.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tabmaster

by tabmaster

Hmm, well that's food for thought. Aesthetics are not the be all & end all for me, but it's is important. The main criteria are functionality, longevity & value. The SRM might well be over £2200 but if it outlasts the P2M then that, in my book, represents good value. The battery changes on the SRM seems so far apart that sending it back to the factory every few years is inconsequential. Oh what a quandary to be in... I'd like to get on with it before next month in case we brexit as the pound will plummet.
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

mrgray

by mrgray

for me as a p2max owner the reason i ended up with SRM was because of PC7. i really like these. PC8 is not as hardy it seems to me and PC7 can be had for one fifth. the data resolution improves and i like the way pc7 just starts by itself and i never miss any data.

also changing the p2max battery every 3-4 months based on my usage wasn't that much fun.

last SRM i bought with chain rings was a 4 arm for ~ 1400 pounds (2700 AUD) so difference to p2mx (which was 2250 AUD) quite minor.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

junchen

by junchen

Where is a good place to buy srm? Probike supply on eBay?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

....but you can use the PC7-8 with any PM, no?

uraqt

by uraqt

Sorry haven't read the whole thread..however...

1. there is new stages coming but it's going to cost... there is some info about it on here

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ain-47114/

2. You have to remember that the PC-8 is not water resistant

C

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

As much as I like the SRM power units themselves, I don't get the appeal of their head units at all. They look dated to me with a readout screen which looks like it's from the beginning of the computer era. I suppose they can record the data at half second intervals whereas the Garmin head units record at approximately 1 sec intervals. But so what. At some point data resolution really becomes an exercise in pointlessness.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tabmaster

by tabmaster

I intend to use whichever one I go with in conjunction with my garmin. PCx displays look pro though. As long as the garmin displays the same data then I don't see the need for a PCx display.
@Calnago: You've given me a right old quandary! Choices, choices..!
If the grand tours are like classical music, kermesse racing is punkrock, Belgian style.
Colnago C50, Campag SR11

mrgray

by mrgray

aesthetics are very specific to the person and i really like the look of the pc7. very stable which i really like. i think not having to remember to turn anything on, plus extremely long battery life, is a big plus too.

pc7 will not work with anything other than srm.

pc8 does but as mentioned above, srm do not seem to assure users re: water resistance.

i presumed the data resolution might be a total non-issue but i certainly get different readings from my garmin watch and srm head unit (i've doubled up as i lost some data the other day). not hugely different but more than i would expect. main difference is for the very short efforts. nothing dramatic though that's for sure.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

metamatic

by metamatic

Do you know if the p2max has a "break in" period?
I had the first couple of rides, and while steady state power readings were consistent with my former pedal-based system (actually slightly lower but that could be me), the peak power values are a bit off. With the p2max i got around 900 W while doing sprints whereas I used to consistently get around 1000-1100 W with the pedal-based system (look keo power).

UKBROOKLYN

by UKBROOKLYN

Just got this email from Stages support..

I guess we will all heading over to the P2M site with our credit cards ....

"The release is on hold presently. We can build campy units and have done so and achieved our high standards for accuracy and consistency. We have though ran into an unexpected challenge in moving from the pre-production environment to the production environment. I don’t have an ETA but at this point I feel it’s pretty much a lock that we will miss this road season. We will get them added to our product lineup, but we won’t release units until we can effectively/affordably build them in a production environment AND they meet our exacting standards. I apologize for the delay. "

beatle

by beatle

metamatic wrote:Do you know if the p2max has a "break in" period?
I had the first couple of rides, and while steady state power readings were consistent with my former pedal-based system (actually slightly lower but that could be me), the peak power values are a bit off. With the p2max i got around 900 W while doing sprints whereas I used to consistently get around 1000-1100 W with the pedal-based system (look keo power).

My peak numbers with p2max are 100-200 W lower than my previous powertap. I have read of others with similar experiences.

UKBROOKLYN

by UKBROOKLYN

100 to 200 watts theres something very wrong there..

jimborello

by jimborello

Damn, I ordered the Campagnolo crankset thinking the stages pm would be ready soon (I preordered in January). From what Ive heard from the stages reps they wont have it anytime soon i they ever have them available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com