Argon 18 Gallium Pro (2016)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

onurruno

by onurruno

Hey all,
My first message for this forum.
As you may see in subject I plan to buy and Argon 18 Gallium Pro frameset.
Read many positive opinions over the web and also had discussions with some users of 2014/2015 frames and now about to order mine.

Before complete my order, I also decided to get opinions and feelings of Argon 18 Gallium Pro users in here if there are any.
Many thanks.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Classic looking bike with a giant headtube. I can't see what can go wrong. But still, comments from owners would be better :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

havana

by havana

Giant headtube? Size M has a minimal size of 13.9 cm which is not exacly long... Or are you refering to the shape of the tube...?

In case of the latter, the shape is a whole lot better than the Nitogren...
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

onurruno

by onurruno

I also believe headtube is not that giant looking. I'll get size S and headtube size will be 10.9 cm.

I think @toffieboi talks about structure of it. Its tech card also says "a structural extension of the headtube, for precision positioning and added stiffness.

In terms of geometry, especially thin seatstays make it look great and also increase performance when riding downhills.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

the headtube can look big because of the integrated headset spacers that the Argon have.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've got a 2014 one - same design as 2016. I like it a lot. The headtube is fat, but it is not long. The headset system is good for providing options for various riders - I use the 10mm adapter. But the system is fairly heavy. The internal cable routing through the front of the headtube is nice - it really lets you set up a very clean cabling in the front. The RD cable exits the frame and runs under the chainstay. I appreciate that routing so much more than running a cable through there.

I cannot remember the frame weight, but it was pretty good for a Medium. I've posted about it here before.

The bike handles well, and the ride is fine, but I am the type of person who can pretty much adapt to any frame that fits me reasonably well.

onurruno

by onurruno

Thanks topflightpro. Really good info.
I read that frame completely changed in 2015? Is that true? couse you said same design as 2016 for your 2014 frame.
You said the system is fairly heavy. You mean headset system, right? I think I'll use with 25mm headset for my S size frame. Current fit looks that way but I may get a second fit for small details.

My current setup is Ultegra Di2 full internal cabling but with external battery under BB. In 2015, Argon 18 stopped drilling under BB or chainstay for external battery mounts. My LBS said that is possible to drill frame but I can't take that risk and that's why I also ordered necessary parts for full internal setup.

onurruno

by onurruno

Any other contributors? old or new frame users? I'll order mine this week.

I also want to hear your thoughts for a clincher wheelset?
Vision Metron 40 seems to be a good deal nowadays with some discounts over the web.

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Here are some crappy pictures of mine-

One is a 2012 Gallium Pro and the other is a 2016 Gallium Pro. I have had the 2012 since 2012 and have absolutely loved it. In 2014 I wanted a new bike so I got a tarmac and didnt like it, sold it and got an Evo himod, also felt like something was missing, plus the frame was out of spec and tire clearance was limited. So I bought another Argon last year (the 2016) and its everything the 2012 model offered, but lighter and stiffer. The bottom bracket is super chunky (in a good way), frame quality was spot on, and I like that they have alloy rear dropouts (unlike the evo). Seatstays are super thin and offer plenty of compliance while the rear end remains plenty stiff laterally. I'm a big fan of 75mm (or more) bb drops, which the Argon has. The dang bike feels so planted, its great.

They made subtle changes for the cable routing between the 2014 and 2016 models, but I believe the overall structure remained unchanged. Only thing I wish they would have done was route the rear brake cable/housing on the left side of the top tube, along with the di2 cable entry to make for cleaner routing, but no biggie, just me being nit picky. The current setup works just fine

If I remember correctly the 2012 version frame weight was somewhere around 1180 grams with the rear hanger, and the 2015/16 model was right at 790 with the rear hanger. Both in size M,

Plans are to get a set of the Bora 35s to complete the build (still debating over dark or bright. But the Pacentis with WI T11 hubs have been fantastic everyday wheels.

A couple changes have been made since the photos have been taken above:
The 2012 now has a Speci Power saddle
The 2016: seatpost has been dropped a couple mm and the bars have been rotated up a couple of degrees (the drops are parallel to the ground in that pic). Setup is virtually identical to the 2012. The Deda bars are a little higher stack wise on the tops, hoods are a little lower than the shimano/vibe setup, as well as the drops. Dont want to bore you with the why, but i have reasons.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Hi Op,

Yes, the frame redesign was in 2014. I also had a 2013, so I had two frames like HornedFrog. (There were issues with the 2013 frame and it was replaced under warranty with a 2014.)

And, yes, I was referring only to the headset system. It is not a lightweight system, but it does offer a lot of flexibility for headtube length.

Based on my past posts, the frameset weighed 871g in a size medium, including a Wheels Manufacturing BB86/92 bottom bracket, derailleur hangers, bottle cage bolts and seatpost clamp. Headset was not included in that weight.

I'm not sure if things have changed, but my frame has bolts under the NDS chainstay for mounting an external battery.

GMF

by GMF

I have a 2014 former Jelly Belly pro's bike that has been an absolutely wonderful bike. It was a significant upgrade from my previous "road" bike (cross bike with 23C slicks... not a slow bike). I am 6', and the large fits me wonderfully. It has handled crit training, 3x back to back 125mi days, all sorts of climbing, twisty descending... The only thing I want to point out is an unsurprising consequence of the low BB - pedal strikes. I run 175mm cranks, so i'm pretty much the worst case user, and need to be aware of ground clearance in certain situations. However, i feel the benefits of the lower BB offset the potential clipping, but i'm not a crit racer. If i were, i would be looking for a different bike. As it is, i find the handling very predictable, stable, and neutral. It is very comfortable riding in packs and isn't twitchy, but can still move about and react if need be. It is kind of hard to remember now, but when i first rode it, i found that it really responded well to leaning into corners and countersteering. It felt weird if you didn't lean into it, but after 2 rides i "got it" and have been totally in tune with it since. After about a year and a half, i'm totally stoked on my Gallium Pro.

I find the frame well laid out with no drama routing the internal cables. The access panel under the BB makes things a breeze (not much different than externally routed cables). I also like that there is a little bit of tire clearance (have run 23s with full fenders, and could probably go up to 28s without). I can't really comment on the 3D headset as i have a smallish spacer stack (10-12mm) and didn't want to add all the metal bits on my light bike. I test fit it once and couldn't really tell a difference, so i pulled it back off. The 2016 has a press-fit spacer system as opposed to my threaded system which may be different.

Something else I would like to highlight is that the customer service has been excellent. I've contacted their US office a couple of times and have always received timely and helpful replies.
FWIW, my bike with sram red build, and mix of FSA, stans alpha 340 clincher wheels (running tubeless), 3T, and a couple small WW bits came in at 15lbs. This bike is not slowing me down.

Aside from my caveat above, everyone i've known who's ridden an Argon18 has thoroughly enjoyed the ride, and i'm sure you will, too.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

havana wrote:Giant headtube? Size M has a minimal size of 13.9 cm which is not exacly long... Or are you refering to the shape of the tube...?

In case of the latter, the shape is a whole lot better than the Nitogren...

I mean beefy, big, not tall :)
Sorry for misunderstanding

onurruno

by onurruno

Hey guys,
Thanks for the inputs.
Last week, I received and assembled my frame. Also got chance to have two rides (35km-85km) at week-end.
First thing I can say is the stiffness and responsivness of the bike. 3d pressfit headset system let me feel a stiff cockpit while sprinting out of saddle. I currently installed 25mm option and hope to lower soon. Handling seems nice and will take advantages of low BB. Do not think to have pedal clearance issues with my 170mm crankarms but need to be careful.
My ride was mostly on flats that's why can't talk about up and downhill performances but first impressions are above expectations.

I need to post 30 messages to upload some pics of it and do not what happens if I upload some right now :))

zane

by zane

onurruno wrote:Thanks topflightpro. Really good info.
I read that frame completely changed in 2015? Is that true? couse you said same design as 2016 for your 2014 frame.
You said the system is fairly heavy. You mean headset system, right? I think I'll use with 25mm headset for my S size frame. Current fit looks that way but I may get a second fit for small details.

My current setup is Ultegra Di2 full internal cabling but with external battery under BB. In 2015, Argon 18 stopped drilling under BB or chainstay for external battery mounts. My LBS said that is possible to drill frame but I can't take that risk and that's why I also ordered necessary parts for full internal setup.

This is interesting. I have seen several alleged 2015 Argon 18 Gallium Pro frames on Ebay, showing those two bolts on the chainstay non-driveside for attaching the Di2 Battery. (Can't explain what else they would be there for) Could these be earlier frames? Granted you can still use and get the external battery setup, why would you when the seatpost battery is much cleaner. I have also seen these same frames with a hole in the bb shell underside next to the little cable guide plate. (Drain hole?) Or are these fakes?

Has anyone seen a fake argon 18 GP? what would you look for?

cheers

asiantrick

by asiantrick

I want to revive this thread since I just bought the 2014 Argon Gallium Pro frame size XS (super good deal.)

I'm 172.7cm (short legs, long torso) and I ride a 50cm Cannondale evo, and XS Look 675 bike. By looking at the sizing chart of Gallium, I'm between size XS and S for the Gallium. I feel like S might be too large for me and XS size is slight too small

I'm curious to know what you heights are and how the Gallium sizing compare to your other/past bikes.

Thanks,
jimmy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com