Campy full groupset weights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bigcheese

by bigcheese

Looking to upgrade my summer hack bike from Veloce to 11sp, just not sure whether to go to Chorus or above, Chorus is £700 on Merlin Cycles right now which is a corking price no doubt, but I can also get Athena for £360 on CRC with my BC discount. This is not including any cashback which both sites offer, so we'll keep that mute for now.

The weights I've "found" are a bit inconsistent though I think. Especially when it comes to the Athena groupsets, between 2200g-2400g, but I think there are two versions of it, one with parts of carbon, one alloy, can anyone confirm what the weight would be on the one listed on CRC would be around? (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/camp ... prod139946)

Chorus consistently gets feedback at circa 2100g, so if that Athena groupset is 2400g, It may just push me towards the superiority and weight savings from chorus, especially if I can get a Merlin code from somewhere.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Just go to the Campy site and look at the "tech specs" sheet.

Individual weights are all there. You just have to add.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bigcheese

by bigcheese

Super, thanks.

Assuming it's the Alloy Crank on the CRC Athena i've now got, current Veloce at 2406, Athena at 2272-2290 depending on cups supplied and Chorus 2161-2200 depending again on what's supplied.

Probably be Athena and put the spare change towards going to a Dura Ace Di2 instead of Ultegra Di2 Aeroad down the line.

AJS914

by AJS914

Total cycling had all the weights for 2014 - that may help you with relative weights:

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/us/Compo ... /cc-8.aspx

I found this page too:

http://www.thebikelane.com.au/2015/06/2 ... t-weights/

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Do you think you'll be able to tell the difference between dura ace Di2 and ultegra Di2? Well I bet you certainly will between athena and chorus.

Chorus is a much bigger step up than Athena imo. Not that Athena is bad....but I'd rather take a chorus and ultegra Di2 rather than athena and dura ace Di2 option.

NB... Not trying to troll at all. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my 6039Y using Tapatalk

bigcheese

by bigcheese

MikeyBE wrote:Do you think you'll be able to tell the difference between dura ace Di2 and ultegra Di2? Well I bet you certainly will between athena and chorus.

Chorus is a much bigger step up than Athena imo. Not that Athena is bad....but I'd rather take a chorus and ultegra Di2 rather than athena and dura ace Di2 option.

NB... Not trying to troll at all. Just my thoughts.

It's more about what I'm using the bikes for, the Athena/Chorus would be a mostly training bike in the summer, though should I do Hill climbs, it'd be the one I'd use on them too, so maybe I should put Chorus on anyway if it does come to that. The Aeroad will be a race bike, though by all accounts, it climbs superbly as well. I have no doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between Athena and Chrous, especially with the upshifting obviously, but everyone says it has Record/SR quality all over it.

But on your point, which has been on my mind too, the upgrade to DA is far more than the £300 that it costs to go to Chorus also. Though I do think the Aeroad with Dura Ace on does have slightly superior wheels, eh.

bigcheese

by bigcheese

Well just checked that Aeroad Dura Ace Di2.....for £1500, the only upgrade seems to be to Dura Ace Di2, so yeah that one is off the board already. As I buy that groupset for less than that anyway with my BC discount and then sell the Ultegra Di2 parts.

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

Also, chorus has Ultra torque cranks... Which means easier to maintain as I understand, plus you can dump multiple gears down the cassette.

My brother has an Aeroad. He built it with a SRAM red and force mix. It's an amazing bike! Especially in rolling terrain. However, any real steep or long climbs... You do notice that it's an aero bike... but this is only on the serious climbs.

russianbear

by russianbear

Get the Chorus.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

Go with chorus, over time it is the best value.

ek111

by ek111

Im also thinking about buying superrecord vs duraace..

kgt

by kgt

fignonsbarber wrote:Go with chorus, over time it is the best value.

+1

AJS914

by AJS914

Exactly. SR costs $1000 more than Chorus. Take that $1000 and put it towards better wheels, bars, stem, seatpost, saddle.

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Chorus. Best bang for buck from Campagnolo...

joejack951

by joejack951

AJS914 wrote:Exactly. SR costs $1000 more than Chorus. Take that $1000 and put it towards better wheels, bars, stem, seatpost, saddle.

At the time I bought my Chorus groupset, Record was only ~$500 more. I tried and tried to justify it (I mean, who doesn't want Record on their bike?) but for the tiny weight difference, I just couldn't do it. Maybe next time. I did justify the Ritchey WCS Streem handlebars and Fizik R1 Arione as a result, though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com