EPS V2 shifting issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tadrums

by tadrums

Intermittent shifting issue on my SR EPS. Developed after approx 120 hrs according to Garmin. At first was just sloppy shifts (slow shift up then down) in middle of 11/25 cassette. After zero-reset many times as well as factory reset, it persists. None of the usual culprits...hanger is perfectly straight, chain within spec and cassette is fresh. More evident in big ring but happens in both. Wheel/cassette shifts fine installed in other EPS bike. Gotta be V2 battery/controller, no? I've checked everything else. Anyone?
TA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ebruner

by Ebruner

120 hours would be over 2000 miles I would think. Chain is probably shot. I can get Maybe 1500 miles out of a chain. I have eps v2 on 2 bikes with 16,000 miles between then and no such problem ever, But I have never ran a chain that long. Worth changing, and seeing if it helps.

-Eddie

tadrums

by tadrums

Uh...as I mentioned, chain is in spec...it's new:-) Replace @1200 w/o fail, regardless of what guage says.
TA

Ebruner

by Ebruner

tadrums wrote:Uh...as I mentioned, chain is in spec...it's new:-) Replace @1200 w/o fail, regardless of what guage says.

Sorry, did not see you say it was a new chain.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Have you experienced shorter battery life? How does the FD perform?

Never seen anything like your description but knowing how the battery/control unit works it sounds like battery might be toast and not able to peak enough current.

tadrums

by tadrums

Thx. Battery life seems equal w/my other EPS bikes (I have 3). No front der issues. I would think that if it was a "battery power" issue it would be somehow more evident on fr der as it requires much more power than rr. An update...the rear now seems to have a mind of it's own...rather than iffy shifting in middle of cassette it's now across entire cassette. Sonetimes jumping 2cogs up or down per shift.
TA

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Then the battery looks fine. Bet thing would be getting the system diagnosed by a Campag SC. I've seen a case of strange behavior after crashed that was due to a connector being loose. Just unplug, replug and voilà. Have you tried to disconnect ad reconneced as much stuff as possible?

Other than that... is the RD particularly noisy when shifting (the whizz from the servo, I mean). Have you had a look to the worm gear that comes out from the servo in the RD? I have seen also a case (CX, but you never know) in which there was some goo making impeding the RD to function properly and the result was very similar to what you describe.

tadrums

by tadrums

Thx. No crashes, worm gear is unobstructed and no abnormal sounds. I will try disconnecting/reconnecting (PITA) everything today. I've tried everything else. Apart from interface that is. Thx again for the input guys.
TA

tadrums

by tadrums

OK...checked all connections (unplugged then reconnected). There are no pinched or crimped wires. Put everything back together, did reset...no change. BTW, I've built several EPS bikes and own 2 others as well, all w/o issues, so this isn't my 1st rodeo.
TA

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

If you have another bike with identical EPS components, I'd suggest swapping out the RD first (easiest task) -- just to rule it out. If the problem persists, swap out the power pack ( I know it's a major PITA). If the problem persists, there are only 2 other components to try -- DTI and right hand side shifter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tadrums

by tadrums

Yeah...that's next logical move, moves rather:-) Having to pull apart 2 complete bikes and then rebuilding makes me wanna go back to mechanical:-( Cruel and unusual punishment this.
TA