Is Red22 rear derailleur compatible with 10sp Red2012?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eric

by eric

My Red 2012 rear derailleur broke on this morning's ride. Can I use a Red22 derailleur with 10sp shifters and chain?

I was in the middle of a fast group ride when loud clanging comenced. When I stopped the hanger had snapped and the derailleur was broken in two where the cage meets the body, and the jockery wheel cage was broken on one side. I don't know if the cage broke, went into the wheel and broke the derailleur and the hanger, or if the derailleur broke where the cage attaches, the cage went into the wheel which broke the hanger and cage. I was in the big ring and one of the larger cogs but not the largest.

When you shorten your chain to single speed home, put the chain in the small ring and a middle cog. I tried the big ring and second to the largest cog and had to stop to put the chain back a bunch of times. Fortunately the ride route had me close to where I started.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Yes. Should be fine. I sometimes run a Force 22 WiFli RD with an otherwise Red 10sp setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

deek

by deek

I'm guessing you got unlucky with a stick or something similar that got caught in your drive train. Even if the cable pull ratio was different (which it isn't), it shouldn't cause your RD to explode like that. This is especially the case if you weren't in the biggest cog so there would be no chance of your cage hitting your spokes.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

from what I understand all the 11 -> 10 derailleurs are compatible, the levers are not

eric

by eric

deek wrote:I'm guessing you got unlucky with a stick or something similar that got caught in your drive train. Even if the cable pull ratio was different (which it isn't), it shouldn't cause your RD to explode like that. This is especially the case if you weren't in the biggest cog so there would be no chance of your cage hitting your spokes.

My post must not have been clear. I was running Red 2012. The old 10sp derailleur broke. No sticks, I was shifting to a larger cog
(but not the largest one). Derailleur was adjusted correctly.

I'm asking about Red22 for the replacement deralleur. Thanks to the guys confirming that it'll work.

I notice that it's a few grams heavier than the 2012. I hope they reinforced where it breaks!

1415chris

by 1415chris

Answering your question, it will work perfectly.
I was running 2012 shifters with 22 mechs for a while.
This is not the first time I read about the old red rear mech dying in very similar circumstances. My one did this trick as well...? Fair said it lasted 4.5 seasons, but still, the way it performed desintegration act was a bit worring.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

mariovalentim wrote:from what I understand all the 11 -> 10 derailleurs are compatible, the levers are not

and vice versa. buying 10 speed RDs is also cheaper.

deek

by deek

eric wrote:
deek wrote:I'm guessing you got unlucky with a stick or something similar that got caught in your drive train. Even if the cable pull ratio was different (which it isn't), it shouldn't cause your RD to explode like that. This is especially the case if you weren't in the biggest cog so there would be no chance of your cage hitting your spokes.

My post must not have been clear. I was running Red 2012. The old 10sp derailleur broke. No sticks, I was shifting to a larger cog
(but not the largest one). Derailleur was adjusted correctly.

I'm asking about Red22 for the replacement deralleur. Thanks to the guys confirming that it'll work.

I notice that it's a few grams heavier than the 2012. I hope they reinforced where it breaks!

Oops, I forgot that 2012 wasn't 11 speed.

I still can't figure out how the RD would break like that from just shifting and not from a foreign object or wheel interference.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

There is a know defect with the pivot on the cage wearing and releasing from the derailleur body.
Mine did it when i was cranking by hand as the RD moved half a sprocket out of allignment when on a ride, was trying to re-index gears, not realising the pivot was letting go, then it went and ate my rear meilenstein, luckily had insurance.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1415chris

by 1415chris

That would fit into what I experienced.
First ride with the new rear 404 and broken spoke.... Luckily it happened few km from my house, Taxi did not cost me a fortune.

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

nathanong87 wrote:
mariovalentim wrote:from what I understand all the 11 -> 10 derailleurs are compatible, the levers are not

and vice versa. buying 10 speed RDs is also cheaper.

this is new to me! so a 10spd RD will change all 11 cogs on a 11 system?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

mariovalentim wrote:this is new to me! so a 10spd RD will change all 11 cogs on a 11 system?

The newer Red 10-speed derailleurs are fully interchangeable with 11-speed ones. The right shifter determines 10 or 11 speed, and you can upgrade a 2013 Red 10-speed set up to 11 by swapping just the Right shifter, cassette and chain.

I do not have any experience nor can I comment on the compatibility of pre-Yaw Red, Force, Rival or Apex 10 speed stuff.