Quantifiable Cannondale Synapse BB Stiffness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

I'm thinking again about picking up a Cannondale Synapse Carbon as an everyday driver and recall having seen offhand remarks in this forum in the past where people have said that Tour Mag blasted the bike for having poor BB stiffness. In other words, the implication was that the Power Pyramid split seat tube design did not perform as claimed and the bike was noodly.

I have tried to find the original Tour article but have not had any luck, so can anyone provide a link, or at least provide the original data, preferably with some comparisons (other leading bikes, or Cannondale's own Caad 12)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LAN

by LAN

Here is a link for roadbike.de test.

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test-cannondale-synapse-hi-mod-ultegra.1344996.9.htm

BB stiffness is according to this test very good.

stormur

by stormur

HiMod & disc.

I saw somewhere comparison of BB stiffness and Synapse (non HiMod) was at the end. From the second hand, in mentioned "test" BMC GF has way better bb stifness, and I know from own experience that's not exactly truth ( even BMC team don't use this frame for classics- instead they rode on special modified version called RBX, and even on '13 season team bikes were heavily modified for the team ( avg framset was 200g heavier in comparison to regular GF01) ) , so I would be very carefull - to not say skeptic- in trusting magazine tests, specially if it's Tour.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Thanks for the info guys! Yeah, Stormur, it is a bummer that Tour is one of the few magazines doing really objective lab testing, but at the same time, their results are often suspiciously in favor of German companies.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Interestingly, with the SuperSix, the non HiMod version tested as stiffer at the BB than the HiMod one in the Giant comparison that they put out a few years ago, so the opposite of what may be true with the Synapse.

stormur

by stormur

Giant test I consider as more reliable than "tour" ; they use "advert by comparison" and this has to show real numbers , however testing procedure is still mystery ;) - but : it has be be something in it- Cannondale "improved BB stiffness in 2016 SsixHM in comparison to previous model" .
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com