Branded frames with threaded bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, same thing... threaded. Just in bigger shells. That's basically what T47 is.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Calnago wrote:On another topic of evolution in frame manufacturing, I'd also like to ask what people think of the move away from a steel crown race, pressed onto a finely milled fork steerer to simply a molded crown race that fits directly into the lower headset bearing. Seems like it's not as well sealed and I wonder if over time scoring or abrasion of the carbon surface may cause issues down the road. The only advantage I see to this trend is primarily, again, to the manufacturers in that it reduces their costs. Of course they will market it as a weight reduction but for the most part I just think they're not even talking about it... just quietly making the change and hoping no one questions it. It's not really new, but certainly prevalent these days. Thoughts?

I can see both sides of the argument here. On one hand I'd be a big fan of the steel crown race. It's durable, cheap and replaceable, which is what I want in any component sitting into a bearing that's subject to varied loads in two or three axes. On the other, it feels like a hangover from the days of open and caged bearings in headsets. the inner race of a cartridge bearing isn't going to pit it or scratch it like open bearings would, if it's the right size, properly installed etc.

That being said, I don't recall ever having to replace a crown race for damage, just did it when I was replacing a headset that was gassed for other reasons.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

MisterMuncher wrote:That being said, I don't recall ever having to replace a crown race for damage, just did it when I was replacing a headset that was gassed for other reasons.

Exactly... the steel crown race seems pretty much indestructible, hence never having to worry about it. That's what I like. And it meshes perfectly with the lower bearing of the headset. It seems that a molded fork kind of goes in there but not nearly as solid feeling or straight (I'm playing with one right now). It seems like it is a lot more dependent on getting it seated perfectly with the right preload.

Plus, if the molded fork's race get damaged, from say grit and debris finding it's way between the fork surface and the bearing (it's way more open down there than a steel crown race/baseplate is)... well, you're in a little different scenario than just having to replace the headset. I don't know... too soon to tell I suppose, but I have seen scored steertubes, from clamping too tightly or play that causes it to rub on the top bearing. So it only seems like this same sort of thing could happen at the bottom bearing as well. I suspect it's ok, Just hoping it's not of those one more step forward, two steps back as far as durability is concerned.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ