Branded frames with threaded bracket

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

havana

by havana

Are there still high end branded carbon frames with a threaded bracket? I know most Dengfu / open mould frames can be ordered with a BSA bracket.

- Pina F8 > ITA

(please add)
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Colnago

(You didn't specify threaded = BSA68)

havana

by havana

By threaded I mean ITA or BSA.

In other words NO PRESS-SHIT ;)
Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Pinarello, Italian threaded

Oops, see you have already listed the F8
Last edited by beanbiken on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB

Coffee & carbon

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Legend are BSA unless otherwise specified.

EdGr

by EdGr

I recall seeing Franco still used threaded shells, no?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Now that Colnago gave it up on the c60, I think Pinarello is the sole example left.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

I believe that you can get a threaded BB in a Sarto if you choose their custom geometry option(s).

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I think if you ask Jurre ( Berk Carbon ) he can help you if you want a BSA bracket.

userfriendly

by userfriendly

My Cinelli Saetta frame is BSA threaded. One of the reasons I bought it (external routing for mechanical groupsets being the other reason).
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

Stefano

by Stefano

Threaded frame purists, what do you think of T47?

http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/pre ... t-standard

havana

by havana

Seems like a good standard. Now let's hope manufactures will actually start using it.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

T47 would be awesome, if adopted. It solves the only issue for frame builders using a narrow (68mm shell) of relatively small diameter. That issue is that there simply is not enough real estate down there to manipulate and join today's bigass tubes. That is really the only issue for modern frame builders when it comes to using a small diameter, narrow shell BB. You could also use 30mm spindles with proper size bearings more readily, but I think the main issue is getting more surface area down there to work with in joining tubes. So, personally I'd love to see it, and for small custom frame builders of metal frames, I think it's a no brainer to go this way in the future.
But for the big box high volume manufacturers of carbon frames... Not likely. It would simply add back costs of manufacture that they have gotten rid of (to the detriment of the consumer unfortunately). I think the tolerances of carbon frame shells are getting better at least, but threaded shells are still, in my mind, much more bullet proof from install right on through the life of the frame.

On another topic of evolution in frame manufacturing, I'd also like to ask what people think of the move away from a steel crown race, pressed onto a finely milled fork steerer to simply a molded crown race that fits directly into the lower headset bearing. Seems like it's not as well sealed and I wonder if over time scoring or abrasion of the carbon surface may cause issues down the road. The only advantage I see to this trend is primarily, again, to the manufacturers in that it reduces their costs. Of course they will market it as a weight reduction but for the most part I just think they're not even talking about it... just quietly making the change and hoping no one questions it. It's not really new, but certainly prevalent these days. Thoughts?
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

userfriendly

by userfriendly

Nothing stopping them from using BSA threads in bigger shells. Take a look at Mason Cycles. Big ass tubes on oversized BB shells, yet BSA threads.

I do agree though that this T47 standard looks pretty neat.
Cinelli Saetta 6.5kg - nice and dry weather
Reilly T325 7.3kg - nice weather but windy
Spa Audax 9.1kg - all weather steel beauty
Pinnacle Dolomite 7.9kg - flat-pedal chainguard thing
M∆SON Definition 8.5kg - off-road ... thing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com