Edco wheelset - what are your thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danieljwood

by danieljwood

They're 2016 models, here they are:

http://www.edco-wheels.co.uk/product/julier-28mm/

I've bitten the bullet and bought them. Having them fitted at the weekend.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Looking forward to listen to your feedback, at the first glance I would not choose to buy some relatively unknown 28mm FCC over shimano DA C24, but....
As I said, looking forward for your feedback!

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Those new "Supersport" models with the carbon Sapim spokes!!!! Those look like they'd be damn good.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/09/28/ib1 ... cassettes/

28mm deep, 25mm wide. Not sure what the difference is between these and the Neggia model. Their websites don't seem to line up.

corky

by corky

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:Those new "Supersport" models with the carbon Sapim spokes!!!! Those look like they'd be damn good.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2015/09/28/ib1 ... cassettes/

28mm deep, 25mm wide. Not sure what the difference is between these and the Neggia model. Their websites don't seem to line up.

Yeah it's been that way since the end of last year.

I have fondled those carbon spoked bad boys and they look better in the flesh, the rep showed me a spoke that he bent so the two ends touched....sprung right back into place.

tinozee

by tinozee

Those Supersport Julier Light wheels are one of the most interesting wheels I've seen recently. I guess it will come down to the feel and stiffness with those carbon spokes.

wingguy

by wingguy

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:28mm deep, 25mm wide. Not sure what the difference is between these and the Neggia model. Their websites don't seem to line up.

Supersport vs supersport the Neggia is last year's model with a rim made by reynolds and normal spokes, the Julier is the new model with the rim made by Edco and the carbon spokes. The Julier's might be a fraction lighter due to the spokes. They have exclusivity on the Sapims for either 1 or 2 years, can't remember exactly what the guys I spoke to said.

They also said the braking was mega heat resistant on the Juliers, but they all say that these days :wink:

danieljwood

by danieljwood

Thanks for the replies.

Looking forward to getting them done tomorrow! I'll stick some photos up. First outing probably Sunday.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

danieljwood wrote:Thanks for the replies.

Looking forward to getting them done tomorrow! I'll stick some photos up. First outing probably Sunday.

What'd you get?!

danieljwood

by danieljwood

I went for the Edco's...

Neil Pryde Bural SL
Edco carbon wheelset
Ultra groupset
3T stealth finishing kit
Fizik saddle

7KG.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

looking good! which model? 28mm with alloy spokes? I look forward to hearing some reviews.

tinozee

by tinozee

Wheels and whole bike look good. :beerchug:

danieljwood

by danieljwood

Thank you. Very kind of you. The photo probably doesn't do it too much justice with it being low-res too!

I did a 60 mile ride / 3000ft climb ride today.

They undoubtedly help with comfort. The Bura SL frame is very stiff and I used to feel every bump in the road when running it with Ultegra 6800s, to the extent it'd physically hurt if I hit very poor or potholed surface. You could hear and feel the rattle too. Admittedly I was running them at 100 psi, albeit with the same 25mm Conti tyres as I've swapped on to the Edco's.

The shop recommended that I ran them at 80 psi to feel the benefit and added comfort, as well as it preventing the bike bouncing and losing traction over poorer surfaces.

Comfort is undoubtedly much better. They feel very, very smooth. And they just keep rolling. So far I'm really happy with them.

The only downside is the braking performance. I'd say there's a 30-40% loss compared to the other wheelset. But they're carbon rims, so some loss is to be expected.

The only thing which might also have aided to the comfort is the 3T carbon bars and the Fizik carbon saddle I also had fitted. Though I reckon it's the wheels that made the biggest difference.

I went for the 28mm Edco Julier with carbon spokes.

wingguy

by wingguy

i thought you said you were buying the £1299 model? That has steel CX-Rays. The carbon spoke version retails over £2k.

danieljwood

by danieljwood

wingguy wrote:

i thought you said you were buying the £1299 model? That has steel CX-Rays. The carbon spoke version retails over £2k.

Apologies, meant to say steel spokes and carbon brake surface.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Glad to hear you're happy with them!

There is certainly a difference in braking when going straight from alloy to carbon, but, I've found that you really will grow to get use to it and just brake a bit differently than you would before depending on the descent you're on. Just takes a bit of time. If it becomes more of a concern, check with your shop or for a guide online to see if your pads are set up correctly, the angle at which they sit can certainly make a difference in stopping power (more so than with alloy wheels, I've found).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com