Edco wheelset - what are your thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danieljwood

by danieljwood

Hi,

I'm currently running Ultra 6800s and was looking to upgrade to Dura Ace C24. I'm looking for something light, durable and pretty much fit and forget with minimum maintenance - the DA's seem to fit the bill.

However, my LBS has suggested I look at Edco - he'll knock a £1300 wheelset down to around £800.

They're a pretty new brand and I can't see many reviews for them.

Has anyone any thoughts or experience?

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flint

by Flint

Hi

There's a review in one of this months magazines. It's was either cycling plus or cyclist magazine.

Cheers

corky

by corky

danieljwood wrote:Hi,

I'm currently running Ultra 6800s and was looking to upgrade to Dura Ace C24. I'm looking for something light, durable and pretty much fit and forget with minimum maintenance - the DA's seem to fit the bill.

However, my LBS has suggested I look at Edco - he'll knock a £1300 wheelset down to around £800.

Cheers

They are not a new brand at all......

echtogammut

by echtogammut

Looking at their website and the price, my guess is Edco is using rebranded Chinese hubs and rims, then lacing them up themselves. Absolutely nothing wrong with that based on the number of people I know racing with Chinese rims in cyclocross, road and MTB. You might be able to get similar rims a little cheaper direct, but buying through your bike shop should mean you will get an easier path for warranty claims than trying to ship wheels back to China. Compared to C24s, I would say dura-ace wheels are probably the most bullet proof rim I know of and Shimano is really good about processing warranty claims. You can get C24's for $800, sometimes less, so unless the Edco is a carbon clincher, I would pick a set of C24s.

wingguy

by wingguy

Looking at their website and the price, my guess is Edco is using rebranded Chinese hubs and rims, then lacing them up themselves.

Could not be more wrong...

danieljwood

by danieljwood

corky wrote:

Cheers

In terms of manufacturing their own wheels and hubs they are, but then again I think you knew that, smart arse.

danieljwood

by danieljwood

wingguy wrote:
Looking at their website and the price, my guess is Edco is using rebranded Chinese hubs and rims, then lacing them up themselves.

Could not be more wrong...

Their website does say they have their own facility in China, which I guess is a little different. They certainly don't strike me as carbon knock offs too.

Sounds like you know a bit about them though... What are your thoughts?

echtogammut

by echtogammut

I would be very curious to know more about them as well. Their carbon rims are manufactured in China, but they claim to use their own design. They also claim to make their own hubs, but unlike most companies that do this, they offer no details about the technology that makes them different. Their hubs look like very generic Bitex hubs, which are rebranded by a dozen companies. If they offer something special, cool... but they certainly don't market themselves very well.

wingguy

by wingguy

danieljwood wrote:
corky wrote:

Cheers

In terms of manufacturing their own wheels and hubs they are, but then again I think you knew that, smart arse.

But again, in terms of manufacturing their own hubs they're not new at all.

danieljwood

by danieljwood

Anything useful to add to the original question?

prototoast

by prototoast

I fondled Edco wheels at NAHBS. They're definitely not the same thing every other company is putting out. They definitely looked nice holding and spinning them, and the rep talked a good game. There's only so much performance can be assessed holding a wheel rather than riding it, but I would seriously consider buying a set at that price point.

danieljwood

by danieljwood

Thanks. It does seem a good deal at £800 - the £1300 original price, which seems standard everywhere, includes a wheel bag and tyres as a standard bundle they offer. None of which I'm bothered about, so the £800 is just the wheelset and skewers.

They do look smart and the reviews I've found so far all seem very positive.

corky

by corky

Edco have been making components since around 1900, mostly hubs...... Recently they were paired with Reynolds unbranded rims but for 2015/2016 they have been 'making their own'. They even had their own group set at one point, but the derailleur were rebadged Simplex I think.

I like the idea of a freehub that can take any manufacturers corset, Campag's,sram,shimano etc.....

I have no experience but have talked to reps at LBS and a London bike show......I like what I have seen,fondled......

Tomstr

by Tomstr

I'm looking at a set of Edco's for me and my girlfriend as well for the reasons Corky mentions.

The older versions where Reynolds, and I think the latest ones are too but I'm not sure. Obviously they are not going to spill the beans on that one. They also build the Mantel.com-brand wheels in NL.

They have been sponsoring racing from pro-cyclocross to timetrials and I've never seen anything weird happen. Here in NL they also offer a good 5 day service. Meaning that you have your rebuilt wheels back the next weekend. A good dealer will also lend you a set of wheels for the week in between.

If anyone has real-life experience with them I'd love to hear.
Ride it like you stole it

wingguy

by wingguy

No, the latest ones aren't Reynolds rims anymore (at least, not the top level ones). A set from £1300 down to £800 from last year would be though. We've sold a fair few of the Pillons and haven't had a single issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com