Hollowgram SISL chainset on new PF30 Focus Izalco Max?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KH

by KH

Hello...after lots of help from people on here regarding geometry for a new bike I am back for some more advice!

I have just purchased a Focus Izalco Max 4.0 2015.

It has a PF30 bottom bracket and ideally I would like to install my Cannondale Hollowgram SISL chainset (note this is not the current SISL2 or the cheaper SI but the then premium Cannondale chainset from 2011).

Looking on here it looks technically tricky to do this. I had a bad experience trying to fit this chainset to a PF30 Cannondale Evo Hi Mod in 2012 and eventually gave up. Reading old threads on here it seems that there was indeed an issue (contrary to what the LBS and Cannondale claimed at the time!) and a new lockring, longer spindle etc were subsequently produced so that compatibility with PF30 was no longer an issue.

Although I am not keen to revisit that experience I would really like to have the Hollowgrams on the new bike as I love them! Is there a step by step guide for what I would need to do to install them out there? Presumably I would need a 109mm spindle and various spacers/shims etc as well as a new style lockring (not sure of the part number)?

Everything I have found relates to SISL2 which is not helpful.

If no expert advice is forthcoming on here my plan is to sell the FSA SLK chainset which comes with the bike, sell my Hollowgrams and stick a Dura Ace 9000
chainset on there. This is looks more straightforward as I think I could get a Chris King PF30 BB and conversion kit 1? I'm assuming that the Focus has a 68mm BB shell not 73mm?

I realise this has become a bit of an essay - any pointers very gratefully received!

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I would give up in this. It will not work properly. Just get a cannondale if u want to use sisl.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

On a PF30 BB, you need the newer lockring. Longer spindle not needed on a 68mm BB shell.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Longer spindle not needed on a 68mm shell, but if you want it to work perfectly with say, a Shimano 9000 setup, you'd best go that route. But then while it may fit on the old spindle, there was something that wasn't quite right with the q-factor or something. Apologies that I can't recall exactly what it was, but I was speaking with someone about that very issue and it didn't seem worthwhile to pursue at that point. Only reason we kept persisting with the older version Sisl Hollowgram was because he was given a Quark powermeter as a Christmas gift for the 30mm Sisl Hollowgram he had, which couldn't be returned. Personally, I'd bag the whole Sisl thing and go straight to DA9000 crank. As it was, I found a spindle designed for the SRM powermeter which had some of the shoulder on the non drive side machined away, and while it was still a 104mm spindle, I was hoping the extra tiny bit would provide the more outboard chainline which was needed for this setup to work correctly. It didn't, but he lives with it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Just get the evo locking. only need a 104mm spindle. Set up is easy.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

MisterMuncher wrote:Longer spindle not needed on a 68mm BB shell.

The newer 109mm road spindle removes the non-drive side bearing shelf as well as moves the wave spring washer to the non-drive side, thus offering greater flexibility in how the spacers are employed for adjusting the chainline on BB30/PF30 framesets.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"