PF30 Bottom Bracket Choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nohands

by nohands

I'll be building a new bike soon with a PF30 bottom bracket. I've been looking at Chris King PF30 or the Wheels Mfg Threaded PF30 BB. Which one would you choose? any other recommendations to look at?

Chris King - https://www.chrisking.com/product/press-fit-30-bottom-bracket/
Wheels Mfg - http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/pf30/pf30-bottom-brackets/pf30-threaded-angular-contact-bb-black.html

Thx.

spookyload

by spookyload

Kogel makes insanely good and creak free PF30.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

logy

by logy

After SRAM which lasted just 3 months and wheels which I discovered is not compatible with sisl I went for King which works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickf

by nickf

I have a hawk racing full stainless in my hi mod. Best bb I have ever used. Had it for a few months now and it's still buttery smooth. Sram bb is junk. Can't go wrong with king either.

Sweetbabyj45

by Sweetbabyj45

I second the hawk racing bb. Great costumer service as well, they take good care of you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

I went with Chris King 11k miles back on my EVO. Recently I developed a creak, after several horrible long wet rides. I thought the worse, it was not the BB it was totally dry bearings. My LBS serviced the CK bearings and replaced the spindle shims, works like new.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

nickf

by nickf

Lots of super web grease on top of the bearings then install the rubber washer deal. That stuff really stays in place and keeps the water at bay for a long while. Hawk has great seals and they claim they never need servicing.

bikerector

by bikerector

I haven't used king bearings but I hear good things about them. Wheels mfg makes good stuff along the more standard level of bearings. I personally really like VCRC bearings as they've lasted very well for me even in very wet CX and gravel racing situations.

I have a PF30 to gxp direct adapter for my powermeter on my road bike that's traveled to 3 different frames and has probably 12k miles now. I've checked under the seals each time I uninstalled it but it always looks good. I've cleaned and greased a similar BB on my CX bike after a very wet gravel race and the BB and derailleur pullers were the only things spinning smoothly at the end of everything.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Go for praxis at fairwheelbikes

carlcurry

by carlcurry

Having good luck with the WheelsMFG PF30 threaded here on a Bianchi Infinito. Started with the Praxis, a pretty proven performer, but even with that got the occasional click on hard out of the saddle pedaling. The Wheels BB has been perfectly quiet for a few months now.
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

KimJaeCheon

by KimJaeCheon

I hear so many thigns that pf30 noise. At least have heard fine enduro pf30 bb.

addictR1

by addictR1

omg.. i think i might have to save up for hawke bb to replace my sram bb86. i just installed a new one on my TMR02 and hearing so creaking sound after 30 miles ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UTvr1WcOT4

nickf

by nickf

Here is my evo with hawk bb. No affiliation with the company. They just make a great product with reasonable prices compared to ceramic. In my experience so far these blow ceramics out of the water.

https://youtu.be/fDNJsJLi62w

addictR1

by addictR1

I was on the hawk website and notice they have option with CX seal? What's that? And where is the cheapest place to buy it at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com