aero handlebars vs aero wheels vs aero frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spectastic

by spectastic

Cervelo did a study comparing amount drag contributed by each individual component on a bicycle. the frame/fork, front wheel, and handlebar collectively address for 71% of a bike's drag, so it appears that if one were to want to upgrade or try to maximize aero gains for racing, these would be the low hanging fruits. However, I'm curious on how much gains you can get from upgrading each component. From what I've read, upgrading the front wheel from shallow wheels to deep carbon wheels will provide the most advantage, followed by an aero frame, which matters slightly less. What about the handlebars? The best aero bikes these days are starting to use integrated stem/bar/headset systems, which maximizes the aero gains. But there are also aftermarket bars that have internal cable routing and a thin flat section that supposedly cuts through the wind better. How effective are these aftermarket bars compared to traditional round bars? are the savings anywhere near as significant as upgrading to deep carbon wheels or frame?

Seatpost: 1 percent
Rear brake: 2 percent
Front brake: 3 percent
Rear Wheel: 5 percent
Drivetrain: 9 percent
Bottle: 9 percent
Fork: 9 percent
Frame: 16 percent
Front wheel: 16 percent
Handlebar: 30 percent

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Here you go:
http://www.aeroweenie.com/aero-assistant.html

That should basically answer the basics of differences between "aero" and not.

As for the differences between aero components (for example, how much more aero is a ZIPP SL70 vs. the S-Works AeroFly), well... you may come across a chart or two, produced by a test by someone somewhere, all of which are missing an asterisk: these tests were not done by an independent 3rd party to the industry, media, nor manufacturer. :mrgreen:

Are aero gains real? Yes. Absolutely.
Is being a weight weenie dead? Nope, weight still matters.
They both matter. "Aero and Light is right" so it's said.

How much more aero is component of Brand A vs. component of Brand B? Some tests show some persuasions along with plenty of discussion on validity and inclusion.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

spectastic

by spectastic

prendrefeu wrote:Here you go:
http://www.aeroweenie.com/aero-assistant.html

That should basically answer the basics of differences between "aero" and not.

As for the differences between aero components (for example, how much more aero is a ZIPP SL70 vs. the S-Works AeroFly), well... you may come across a chart or two, produced by a test by someone somewhere, all of which are missing an asterisk: these tests were not done by an independent 3rd party to the industry, media, nor manufacturer. :mrgreen:

Are aero gains real? Yes. Absolutely.
Is being a weight weenie dead? Nope, weight still matters.
They both matter. "Aero and Light is right" so it's said.

How much more aero is component of Brand A vs. component of Brand B? Some tests show some persuasions along with plenty of discussion on validity and inclusion.

that calculator is making my freaking head spin. but I suppose it's indication of how obtuse and open ended my question was. Also, it's giving me TT components for the aero bars. (???) I was thinking more like round tube handlebars vs something like an aeronova.

AJS914

by AJS914

It is oriented towards triathlon thus the slowest bar combo is a drop bar with a clip on. They claim that a drop bar with aero tops plus a clip-on is 30 seconds faster over 40km. I don't know if you can extrapolate that to 'an aero drop bar is 30 seconds faster than a round bar over 40km'.

There is a long list of things one could do that are relatively cheap or free before they run out and buy a Madone 9 or Venge.

theremery

by theremery

Decent position (each mm lower at the front was a Watt for me), Booties* (sooo cheap and worth a few seconds), aero road bars (I've taken the "worth about 20 seconds per 40km" route as my default setting...using Zipp Vuka sprints on the S5 and aeronovas on the S3 (bloody uncomfortable those aeronovas tho....buyers regret)...deep wheels I already had and I've increased the range for varying wind conditions....and I've gone aero for the racebike (S5) and aero ish for the fav rider (S3)....and that is roughly in order, I think.
Just my opinion, of course (but I have spent a little bit of time in a wind tunnel, which is unusual for an old fart like me ;) )

[* not a serious consideration but given the $$ and keeping feet warm....a good choice]
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

prebsy

by prebsy

spectastic wrote:Cervelo did a study comparing amount drag contributed by each individual component on a bicycle. the frame/fork, front wheel, and handlebar collectively address for 71% of a bike's drag, so it appears that if one were to want to upgrade or try to maximize aero gains for racing, these would be the low hanging fruits. However, I'm curious on how much gains you can get from upgrading each component. From what I've read, upgrading the front wheel from shallow wheels to deep carbon wheels will provide the most advantage, followed by an aero frame, which matters slightly less. What about the handlebars? The best aero bikes these days are starting to use integrated stem/bar/headset systems, which maximizes the aero gains. But there are also aftermarket bars that have internal cable routing and a thin flat section that supposedly cuts through the wind better. How effective are these aftermarket bars compared to traditional round bars? are the savings anywhere near as significant as upgrading to deep carbon wheels or frame?

Seatpost: 1 percent
Rear brake: 2 percent
Front brake: 3 percent
Rear Wheel: 5 percent
Drivetrain: 9 percent
Bottle: 9 percent
Fork: 9 percent
Frame: 16 percent
Front wheel: 16 percent
Handlebar: 30 percent

While this list does tell you what contributes the most it gives no indication about the improvements you can make for each component. If you are only looking to upgrade your bike (with cost being a factor) I'd reorder the list:
front wheel
handlebar
rear wheel
frame
(anything else)
But I think you could probably spend your money more wisely on your body, booties, a quiver of aero helmets to match the weather, skinsuits (with pockets), TT-gloves.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

The list is a bit misleading..... keep in mind.... all the numbers will always add up to 100.

If you threw away your water bottle, your handlebar percentage is going to go up. But you wouldn't say "I tossed my bidon, so now I need more aero handlebars".

Manipulating fixed-sum numbers is almost meaningless here.

RyanH

by RyanH

Also, keep in mind when comparing aero claims that wind tunnel resolution is around 10g of drag. So, when comparing wheels as an example, usually in the mid 100's for drag, the ability for the wind tunnel to accurately resolve the drag differences between them at 0* yaw is limited to +/- 10g. If the best wheel is 160g and the worst is 170g, I don't think you can conclusively say that the worst is actually worse based on that alone. The differences at wider angles usually increase, but keep that in mind.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

An aero handlebar is probably the best bang for your buck on the bike;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5zqDOfUtE&t=27s

Then, off the bike, shoe covers! ($ per watt!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASFunOcHe48&t=6s

AJS914

by AJS914

jmstar, has revived about 20 old threads. I guess he wants a discount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

jmstar, I'm glad you have 10 posts now. I hope it helps.