DeRosa SK Pininfarina or Felt AR1 frameset opinions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

racersir

by racersir

Hi I'm looking for my next build and I've narrowed my choices to these 2 frames. The Felt AR1 and the DeRosa SK Pininfarina, I'm looking for an aero bike since I will probably do a couple of thriatlons this year and don't want a TT bike. Any experience with any of these 2 frames?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

How and why did you pick those 2 frames ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

racersir

by racersir

The AR1 seems to have good reviews and the flip seat post to get that tri angle for the seat and i've always like Felt I own an F series and its a great bike. The DeRosa theres not to much info I could only find 1 review but I can a get a dealer price on the frameset

KarlC

by KarlC

Did you see the 2016 TOUR MAG AERO TEST lots of info here

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136752&hilit=aero
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

jimborello

by jimborello

That blue De Rosa Pininfarina is stunning, who cares about aero when you have such am awesome looking that also happens to be aero.

kgt

by kgt

+1
It works for these guys it will work for you.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

For triathlons, choose the Felt. Proven aero.

For the look, fun and whatever else, choose De Rosa. Can't comment on the aero performance, but probably some 5W difference to the Felt at least (assuming both bikes fit you the same).

P.S. Having used the chainstay mounted brakes on the Felt, I hate them.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

KarlC

by KarlC

jimborello wrote:That blue De Rosa Pininfarina is stunning, who cares about aero when you have such am awesome looking that also happens to be aero.

+100 on that, plus the review I read says it rides amazing.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cobrakai

by cobrakai

I built up an AR1 frameset this past winter and love it so far. I've probably only put 300 miles on it so far but it has been great. I haven't had any issues with the chainstay brakes but I used a shimano SM-CB90 for easy removal of the rear wheel. I find the comfort indistinguishable from my 2006 specialized roubaix although my longest ride has been 60 miles so that opinion might change for longer 100+ mile rides. I have a 140 mile charity ride in June so I'll probably know for sure after that. It's pretty light for an aero frame. In size 58 the frame was 1199 grams with all the extra bits, fork was 342 grams uncut, and seatpost was 304 grams. I'm obviously biased but I like the look better than the De Rosa.

If you are doing triathlons a big consideration is the seat post. On the felt it is reversible so you go from 73.5 degrees to I think 78.5 degrees which makes it much easier to attain a good tri position. I don't know if the De Rosa has the same capability.