Dura Ace 9000 levers and cassette question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alkoro

by alkoro

Hi,

I am hoping that someone who uses Dura Ace 9000 groupset can help me.

I recently bought Dura Ace 9000 groupset. I was sure that I would get the latest parts, but now I am not sure.
I know that Shimano made some revisions to the 9000 group set and I am hoping that somebody can help me to determent if the parts are first gen (bad design).

Here are pictures of the 9001 leaver. I am 90% sure that this is the first model (9000) that caused the shifter cable to break:

Do the new 9001 have 9001 written here?

Here is also a picture of the cassette:

I think that this is the first generation that some users had problems with.
I have seen some pictures where the carbon spindle broke. If i remember correctly this product wasn't recalled, but users who had problems got the latest
revision of the cassette. Now i am concerned that the carbon spindle will fail. (new revision uses aluminium).

Did Shimano changed anything else on the 9000 groupset?

Any help would be much appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can't say for sure about the cassette, but i think the later is using 2-bolt design and this is 1-bolt.
The shifters you have are standard STi9000. The 9001 version has 9001 printed at it.
I have both 9000 and 9001 versions so i should know.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

alkoro

by alkoro

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

The problem is that the leavers were sold as 9001. I wouldn't really cared if the 9000 didn't eat through the shifter cable.
Don't really know where the LBS got this, as the 9001 was introduced around 2 years ago.

Any opinions on the safety of the cassette?
I initially wanted to go with the ultegra cassette, but LBS gave me a very good price on the groupset.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

No, i have the DA cassette. The old design and i have never had any issues with it.
I swapped for Edco, but that was not really needed. Only thing i know for sure, your shifters are not 9001 version.
If he says they are, he is wrong. I have no clue if DA groupset ever has sold with Sti 9001 as a complete groupset.
I bought mine separate. Built a second bike and i just bought, RD+FD and shifters.
Rest i use is KMC chain, Edco Monoblock cassette and FSA K-Force Light BB 386 EVO crankset.
The other bike is standard DA 9000 but with Edco cassette.
No problems otherwise with 9000 shifters eating cable.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Many are of the opinion that the Ultegra cassette is the better option over the Dura Ace cassette. When i upgraded I kept the 6800 cassette which works very well. Maybe you can sell the Dura Ace casette and purchase a cheaper 6800 version and have change left over.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

junchen

by junchen

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Many are of the opinion that the Ultegra cassette is the better option over the Dura Ace cassette. When i upgraded I kept the 6800 cassette which works very well. Maybe you can sell the Dura Ace casette and purchase a cheaper 6800 version and have change left over.

+1. Get ultegra and cast your worries about the longevity of the DA cassette away. Probably can get enough from the sale of DA cassette to fund 2 ultegra cassettes.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

hmai18

by hmai18

9000 vs 9001 lever: the change is some additional coverage for the shifter internals and some shape changes. Both still have the same 90 degree bend internally that places stress on the cable.

viewtopic.php?p=1024669#p1024669

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

junchen wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:Many are of the opinion that the Ultegra cassette is the better option over the Dura Ace cassette. When i upgraded I kept the 6800 cassette which works very well. Maybe you can sell the Dura Ace casette and purchase a cheaper 6800 version and have change left over.

+1. Get ultegra and cast your worries about the longevity of the DA cassette away. Probably can get enough from the sale of DA cassette to fund 2 ultegra cassettes.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

the sole advantage of a dura ace cassette is weight reduction. it was an easy decision for me to skip dura ace chain and cassette.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels