Pinarello F8 Crank Options - BB30 Possible?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CTracer

by CTracer

I have an F8 on order and I am looking for the lightest crank/power meter option (SRM is out due to cost). I am planning on installing SRAM eTap so Shimano is out for aesthetic reasons. I was originally thinking that I could install a Rotor ITA30 BB and use any BB30 crank but I'm not sure it will be that easy. Anyone have any advice/experience in running a BB30 (or BB386EVO) in an F8? Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Use whatever crank you like to have and check this out!

I would also consider one thing when it comes to light weight cranksets.
The chainrings shifting precision.

http://watteam.com/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

With a true BB30 crankset you'll probably be struggling. Shell width is the same as yours, so the axle won't be long enough, by the time you've added screw in cups to it.
You may get away with a 386evo type chainset (rotor or fsa etc) , IF you can get Italian threaded cups for it. I've not checked so dunno if they are actually available.
Official cafe stop tester

CTracer

by CTracer

Thanks Jekyll. Yeah, axle length will be a problem. I will look a bit more for an ITA BB386 but no luck so far. I had read a comment on one of the threads here that the Rotor ITA30 was really a BB386 in disguise but I have not confirmed that. Worst case I will have to go with a Sram Red GXP/Quarq.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Yep true BB30 won't fit, BB386 or BB386evo or whatever they are calling it now will due to the longer spindle length as mentioned. The ITA30 BB are oversized cups allowing for the larger bearings required for the 30mm spindles so yes it's essentially a BB386 but threaded not pressfit. It won't reduce the width of your bottom bracket to allow BB30 cranks to be used.

If you want a 30mm spindle Rotor with a Power2Max would be a good choice or you might go for some luxury with THM Clavicula. I would also strongly suggest looking at the Verve Infocrank https://www.vervecycling.com/why-infocrank/

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Fixie82 wrote:Yep true BB30 won't fit, BB386 or BB386evo or whatever they are calling it now will due to the longer spindle length as mentioned. The ITA30 BB are oversized cups allowing for the larger bearings required for the 30mm spindles so yes it's essentially a BB386 but threaded not pressfit. It won't reduce the width of your bottom bracket to allow BB30 cranks to be used.

If you want a 30mm spindle Rotor with a Power2Max would be a good choice or you might go for some luxury with THM Clavicula. I would also strongly suggest looking at the Verve Infocrank https://www.vervecycling.com/why-infocrank/

That's it!

I own a F8 and went for Ceramic Speed ITA30 BB with an FSA K-Force Light crankset (386EVO) and the spindle lenght is on the limit, my mechanic struggled to make it fit, but it now works and spins smoothly and lovely like it should!

BB30 as mentioned, wouldn't fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CTracer

by CTracer

Thanks. I e-mailed Power2max and they verified the K Force Light will work. I just ordered one and will try the Rotor ITA30 BB.