new domane slr on english site

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chewy

by Chewy

I'm a bit underwhelmed by it.
Was hoping they would alter the geometry because even as "endurance" geometry it is way too upright for me. (Although admittedly everyone I've seen who actually owns this bike still seems to have a stack of spacers so must sell well).

Also thought in the ~4yrs since the first version they could find a way to drop even a little weight (even with the front isospeed).

I'm surprised there were no aero claims given the way modern bike marketing is going. Thought they would make at least some token aero efforts (and I'm sure Cancellara would have appreciated even the slightest aero benefits on the run in to the finish at flanders :wink: ).

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Several websites just had unveiling articles posted today. I've been wondering about the actual mechanics of the front Isospeed, and neither BikeRadar nor Velonews have really taken a "look under the hood" yet, but I just spotted this CyclingTips article which actually has pics of whats going on with the head tube, more actual figures on compliance in the front end, and a ride report:

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/04/2017-tre ... nd-review/

wkwt

by wkwt

Chewy wrote:I'm a bit underwhelmed by it.
Was hoping they would alter the geometry because even as "endurance" geometry it is way too upright for me. (Although admittedly everyone I've seen who actually owns this bike still seems to have a stack of spacers so must sell well).

Also thought in the ~4yrs since the first version they could find a way to drop even a little weight (even with the front isospeed).

I'm surprised there were no aero claims given the way modern bike marketing is going. Thought they would make at least some token aero efforts (and I'm sure Cancellara would have appreciated even the slightest aero benefits on the run in to the finish at flanders :wink: ).

Sounds like you may want a Madone.

Chewy

by Chewy

wkwt wrote:

Yes, you are probably right.
I'm looking for something for those 8hour+ epic rides on mixed/rough roads +/- lots of climbing. But still want to go fast on it if I need to. Also was leaning towards disc brakes and thought this might be the bike for me.
I'll wait to take a look at the Canyon Ultimate Cf slx disc when it's released. Geometry suits me much better.

nickf

by nickf

Tall order. Sounds like you need 2 different bikes. That and disc to me are not aero, just adds weight. Keep the aero and give me comfort on a 8 hour ride. Marginal gains is what the madone is and guys are still getting dropped.

Delorre

by Delorre

TheKaiser wrote:Several websites just had unveiling articles posted today. I've been wondering about the actual mechanics of the front Isospeed, and neither BikeRadar nor Velonews have really taken a "look under the hood"

Have you watched the whole video? pretty well explained!

hlvd

by hlvd

The GCN video explains it really well.

wkwt

by wkwt

Still can't believe the Madone frameset is $4500 and this Domane SLR is $3000, even factoring in the Madone brakes and seatmast. Granted different purposes and a bit more CF on it.

nickf

by nickf

Gotta pay all that r&d for the past 3 years. Itching to demo one on our weekly gravel ride. I do like that they went with direct mount rim brakes, fit some 28 gravel kings nicely.

paggnr

by paggnr

Chewy wrote:
wkwt wrote:

Yes, you are probably right.
I'm looking for something for those 8hour+ epic rides on mixed/rough roads +/- lots of climbing. But still want to go fast on it if I need to. Also was leaning towards disc brakes and thought this might be the bike for me.
I'll wait to take a look at the Canyon Ultimate Cf slx disc when it's released. Geometry suits me much better.

Sounds like you need a Cervelo S3

oldnslow2

by oldnslow2

Went to the test ride event at Brickwell Farmingdale. There both my son and i got to ride the new Trek Domane SLR 6 with Ultegra disc brakes. We took them for a 2.5 mile ride to Bethpage and tested the 30mm tires on the grass, dirt and potholes on the way there and back.

Very nice. The brakes were impressive, but being a Sram Red rider, the Shimano shifters tossed me a curve.

I wish we came prepared with proper clothing, shoes and gloves.

jlok

by jlok

Gotta wait for Sagan special edition when he join Trek next year... hopefully...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

hlvd

by hlvd

jlok wrote:Gotta wait for Sagan special edition when he join Trek next year... hopefully...

Near enough cert apparently.

ansible212

by ansible212

The Domane SL appeared on the UCI approved frames list a while ago, and can now be found online along with a Domane S).

Interestingly, it appears to be available in a 'Pro' version. Unlike the SLR, both variants are listed with 500 series carbon and available in a wider range of sizes.

Links:

http://www.turramurracyclery.com.au/tre ... sl-6-2017/

http://www.turramurracyclery.com.au/tre ... -pro-2017/

No details on geometry, however. From the description and images it looks like the SL doesn't have the adjustable rear ISOspeed (it does have front ISOspeed).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com