new domane slr on english site

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

The firmness on the new seat tube can be adjusted.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Interesting.

afalts

by afalts

it can be adjusted to be as 'harsh' as the emonda slr, all the way to as much as ~14% more 'plush' than the current domane

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... I hope we don't go so far as to get into another "adjustable stem" situation except with frames. Very interested to see this particular implementation.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

yzrider165

by yzrider165

Calnago wrote:
yzrider165 wrote:Looks awesome! It has an access door on the down tube that may be able to suit a DI2 junction box like the Madone. I should hope on the RSL version that they get rid of the direct mount RD hangar for a replaceable one. It is a good solid design but it is so solid that it could crack the frame in a crash. That was the one thing I didn't like about the Koppenberg and Classics models. Pretty neat the clearance for 32mm tires and lighter thru-axle mounts. They changed to flat mount discs as well(not really sure of the advantages though, but I think it may be for lighter fork mounts). It also carries the updated seat mast cap with a different clamping design so it is more secure and doesn't ruin the paint on the mast(this was a design change for 2016). It kind of looks like there may be a rubber seal between the fairing and the Isospeed though.

I hope they fixed the disc clearance issues as the previous version used to rub on the fork with any bit of sprinting or dirt on the disc. The cable routing is also different. I have mixed emotions about that because if you have seen any Emonda with some use, the cables rub on the head tube. So this will probably require some Jagwire Road Link Elite cables with the rubber grommets to keep the cables from rubbing. Noticed the fork is shaped differently so maybe the wheelbase is a bit tighter making it handle a bit quicker. Only the geo charts will tell. Looking forward to the official release.

Re: the "Koppenberg" and "Claasics" (prior name) versions . The reason for the stainless steel non-removable derailleur hanger is for stiffness and more sure shifting over the cobbles etc., and be damned with replaceability. And the wheelbase, and everything else, was indeed tighter on these frames than the standard run Domane, that's why I keep asking about the geometry of the new RSL... so far I've not seen anything on that. I really hope they don't put discs on the RSL version and unless we see Cancellara with discs on his, I don't think they will. As for cable rub on the Emonda head tube, that frame begs to have the cables routed up front so they don't even touch the head tube. Smoother lines, less friction, no cable rub. There's really no excuse for not doing it that way from the get go. That's simply a matter of routing them that way, no change to the frame necessary. The only cable that can rub on the Emonda head tube is the rear brake cable, which if tied to the right shifter (most countries), touches the right side of the head tube before it enters the top tube from the right side.

Re: Although the cabling on the Emonda you posted looks real good, I have run into trouble when running the cables "moto" style. A majority of the Emonda's I have seen have cable rub on the head tube. It more so happens when the bars are turned. It is preventable but takes trial and error to get it right. When I was talking about tighter geometry, I was hoping for quicker handling on the traditional Domane. not much but a bit quicker.

fa63

by fa63

ergott wrote:Can someone explain what's going on with that seat tube?

Looks like a leaf spring with an elastomer between the two pieces.

Slack

by Slack

Hi, everyone. I'll start of by getting a few things clear. The original Domane was offered in three geometries, H3, H1 for the Koppernberg and 'Classics' which was longer and lower than H1. The H3 geometry is what's on all the standard Domane models. The H1 geometry of the Koppernberg is the same as a H1 Emonda, so it has the benefit of isospeed with traditional road bike geometry. The classics edition has H.8 geometry shorter head tube, lower bottom bracket and much longer chain stays than the H1 Koppernberg, a bike designed for racing on cobbles with stable geometry. The Koppernberg was born after as a result of riders wanting the benefit of isospeed without the high and short geometry of H3 or the slower handling of the Classics edition.

I have some of the new Domane bikes in the shop already but they are embargoed until the 4th of April. Calnago the seat post is quite clever both tubes serve a function and the front post is not a faring as such. The front isospeed is clever too, looks to work well and will take the big hits while the new handle bar soaks up road buzz. As of yet I have not seen any geometry charts for the 'pro endurance' version that is available via project one so I cannot comment as to whether they are H1 or the H.8 geometry of the Classics edition. I would suggest there is slightly more chance of it being H1, as the H.8 of the Classics edition was not very successful, I think they only sold 9 in the U.K. market in total. Where as the H1 geometry is far more usable day to day for most people, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I've just rung Trek to ask and they didn't have the full details yet so we'll really have to wait and see.
Last edited by Slack on Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slack

by Slack

fa63 wrote:
ergott wrote:Can someone explain what's going on with that seat tube?

Looks like a leaf spring with an elastomer between the two pieces.

It's not an elastomer. It varies the flex in the post.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks @Slack, I'm obviously interested in the H1 geometry only then. But not sure if I want all the new added bells and whistles of the "double seat tubes" or the Isospeed up front (it's still on the road that I'm going to be riding it). I'm starting to think the current edition of the Koppenberg is going to be my first choice but really anxious to see what they've come up with here. Trek is really at the top of their game I think these days. Something for everyone.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hlvd

by hlvd

Slack wrote:Hi, everyone. I'll start of by getting a few things clear. The original Domane was offered in three geometries, H3, H1 for the Koppernberg and 'Classics' which was longer and lower than H1. The H3 geometry is what's on all the standard Domane models. The H1 geometry of the Koppernberg is the same as a H1 Emonda, so it has the benefit of isospeed with traditional road bike geometry. The classics edition has H.8 geometry shorter head tube, lower bottom bracket and much longer chain stays than the H1 Koppernberg, a bike designed for racing on cobbles with stable geometry. The Koppernberg was born after as a result of riders wanting the benefit of isospeed without the high and short geometry of H3 or the slower handling of the Classics edition.

I have some of the new Domane bikes in the shop already but they are embargoed until the 4th of April. Calnago the seat post is quite clever both tubes serve a function and the front post is not a faring as such. The front isospeed is clever too, looks to work well and will take the big hits while the new handle bar soaks up road buzz. As of yet I have not seen any geometry charts for the 'pro endurance' version that is available via project one so I cannot comment as to whether they are H1 or the H.8 geometry of the Classics edition. I would suggest there is slightly more chance of it being H1, as the H.8 of the Classics edition was not very successful, I think they only sold 9 in the U.K. market in total. Where as the H1 geometry is far more usable day to day for most people, but we'll have to wait and see on that one.

I've just rung Trek to ask and they didn't have the full details yet so we'll really have to wait and see.

Hi Slack, could you tell me/us if the seat cap/mast on the SLR has the combination tilt and setback clamp as found on the Emonda SL, or is it a new revised edition with two separate independant adjustments?

Slack

by Slack

Hi hlvd,

From what I've seen it's standard one bolt seat cap, to be honest I'm not 100% on why the new Madone has a new style of saddle clamp. I've got one and it doesn't seem to add much other than weight, there's obviously a reason why they've done it but they not said anything to dealers as to why.

hlvd

by hlvd

Slack wrote:Hi hlvd,

From what I've seen it's standard one bolt seat cap, to be honest I'm not 100% on why the new Madone has a new style of saddle clamp. I've got one and it doesn't seem to add much other than weight, there's obviously a reason why they've done it but they not said anything to dealers as to why.

Thank for replying, I'm disappointed as the one bolt is a pain to set, keeps tilting forward when torqueing.

Wheever

by Wheever

I saw one of these today at my LBS. they swore me to secrecy, but Ima tell you some stuff!

First, the bike I saw was a 58 with rim brakes. It was *really* light. Much lighter than my 2015 Domane 6 disc. A little heavier than the new Malone sitting next to it, but not by much.

Second: the new seat tube/mast setup in interesting. Basically, the mast is only attached at the bottom, and is free the whole length except where the sliding doohickey holds it to the parallel tube (fulfilling the structural function of a conventional seat tube) the sliding doohickey works by effectively shortening the length of the seatmast, allowing you to set the pivot point to give it more or less flex length. I have mixed feelings about it. It seems a little gimmicky to me.

The new bars seemed really cool, and flexible.

Beyond that, I didn't get to ride it, so I have no idea the effect the front isospeed will have on handling or feel.

Yes, I wanted it. It was $70000. That's a big nope. Sigh.

RickyKong

by RickyKong

afalts wrote:There's a 'Race Shop Limited Pro Endurance Geometry' version as well.

Headtube IsoSpeed is really slick.

I'm worried about that IsoSpeed.

I think it's the disturbance at sharp/exact/stiff handling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RickyKong

by RickyKong

hlvd wrote:http://fahrrad-store.ch/de/shop/fahrräder/road/comfort/trek/trek+domane+slr+9+etap+2017

Wow, that's really nice bike!!