Said goodbye to my 3 season drivetrain...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

It was time to change out my sram red/black 1090 11-25 cassette, kmc x10sl chain and extralite octaramp chainrings. The cassette and chain ended up being on there for the last 3 seasons. Shifting was still fine, not perfect, but it was time to go. The chainrings ended up lasting about 5 years and the chain went on with the cassette.

The drivetrain is much quieter now, but 3 years - I never thought they'd go that long.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Three years on a chain? How many kms was that?

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Without looking it up, I'd figure somewhere around 25,000 to 30,000 km. This past year I was down a bit as I had back issues. The previous 2 years I was (just) over 10,000 km per year.

I should add when I switched the chain and cassette I left the old chainrings on just to see what would happen- once there was any effort put into pedaling the new chain slipped and fell off.
Speedplay is the devil!

RyanH

by RyanH

Um, chains should only last 3k or so, not 10x that. Holy smokes your drive train must have been terrible.

You need one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-TL-CN41-C ... B00346ZEOE

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

F45

by F45

I guess your chain killed your rings and cassette.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

How did the chain not break. I change my chains every 2000km to 2500km at the very most. A chain left on for 2500km has generally ruined the cassette though. To save the cassette I have to change sooner than that. Shifting becomes terrible if I leave a bit too long. dread to think what it was like for the OP.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

As a shop mechanic my experience has been the same as the OP: A chain/cassette/cogs will last almost indefinitely with only gradually deteriorating shifting and increasing propensity for skipping, but still very workable. We often check someone's drivetrain and discover that all three parts are worn and need to be replaced together. We tell the customer that once they become unhappy with the slowing shifting (increased lateral flex of chain) or if it skips enough under power to become a problem to then have it changed but many will finish out the season on the worn parts. I have not experienced an increased risk of broken chains once they are very old or worn. That seems to be more related to shifting under power or bad rear derailleur cable adjustment causing a ghost shift while under power.

brumbar

by brumbar

My 10 speed Campy Record cassette and chain lasts 35 000 km before they start to skip on the 18 tooth, so it is possible...
I'm light rider - 58-60 kilos, not very powerful /FTP 250 Watts/. My riding style is slow cadence and I climb hills up to 4.5% on the big ring. Never ride with this bike in the rain and never spray the drivetrain with degreaser. I clean the chain only with the rag /also clean between the rollers - before and after each lubrication/ and relube each 800-1000 km with Chan-L. That's all.

BRM

by BRM

Another I'm a fool topic. :shock:

People don't understand the word "maintenance".
Maybe they do when one day they stand in the middle of knowhere with a broken chain . . .
Also never look to your derailleurhanger please, its wasted energy.

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Local pro round here with a 380w FTP used 1 chain for 5 years on his turbo bike which got a beating with HIIT 4 times per week. Very little shifting involved there & no damage from the elements. Under certain circumstances, chains can last a long time. Dry kms vs wet kms and shifting style/efficiency can play a big part to this.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I forgeg how many mtb chains i havd ripped apart after not so many km (o.k they havd a harsh life) when i leave them on because i run out of time to change. I therefore dknt take risks with my road bikes. Worn chains can break i am a mechanic and i ride in england. Weather here is not nice to chains. Did get about 9000 miles for a chain on my single speed road bike once though. It was a 1/8" chain though.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

bm0p700f wrote:How did the chain not break. I change my chains every 2000km to 2500km at the very most. A chain left on for 2500km has generally ruined the cassette though. To save the cassette I have to change sooner than that. Shifting becomes terrible if I leave a bit too long. dread to think what it was like for the OP.

Every 2000km? You what? That would be 4 weeks riding for someone putting in decent kms...

What the hell are you riding through? Sand?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

As a shop mechanic my experience has been the same as the OP: A chain/cassette/cogs will last almost indefinitely with only gradually deteriorating shifting and increasing propensity for skipping, but still very workable.

I am not a shop mechanic, but that is my observation too. A given drivetrain combo will last almost indefinitely as they all wear together but remain perfectly functional. The main reason for replacing the chain is due to stretch, which then wears the mating components. If you change the chain regularly, with less than 1% stretch, then the cogs and chainwheels last indefinitely and keep working fine when a new chain is installed. Otherwise, a new chain skips on worn components.
Chains are cheaper than chainrings and cogsets.

It is fun to get all new once in a while too, though. But frankly, all new feels a little rough-shifting until all the compnents "marry" each other for a couple hundred miles. I just changed to a new chain and cassette.