Record UT vs Chorus 11 Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Thoughts on record 10 ultra torque carbon crankset running 11sp rings vs chorus 11s. I don't have a scale off hand and will be new to Campy. Thoughts?

AJS914

by AJS914

Weight-wise they are going to be about the same. Are you trying to decide whether to upgrade your old 10 speed crank or buy a new Chorus?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Would help to know what you want to do.

If it is just to upgrade drivetrain to 11-speed then you don't need a new crank. 10-speed cranks and rings work just fine for 11.

Finding the correct rings will be a nightmare as well if it's even possible, probably not since the design changed between 10 and 11.

Any weight difference would be minimal. Campy list weights:

2015 Chorus crank - 683 g. (it got heavier for 2015, was listed at 667 g prior).

2008 Record crank - around 640 g.

Remember that with UT, the crank weights include bearings.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Scenario is I found a used bike with full record 10. I found a very good condition used 11 speed group (Record shifters, rd, and brakes, super record cassette and fd, and Chorus Crankset (older style that looks identical to the record 10 but says chorus 11 on the arms). I'll double check but the ring size looks identical.

I'd pull the record 10 and install the 11 speed as I much prefer the ergonomics of the new shaped hoods.

I guess it sounds like I'd have the "bling" hit on chorus crank, or older record but little actual difference/benefit. Essentially I will have both on hand and the ability to pick one for the bike and sell off the other kit to recoup most of the cost (VERY good deal on the 11sp setup).

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

If the Record 10 is Ultratorque, then the crank swap is easy. If it's square taper, then obviously you'll need the cups. Also new cableset and chain (I suggest KMC).

Depending on condition, the R10 stuff is still worth good money on eBay.

There's only a very minor difference in logo between Chorus and Record cranks, hardy a "bling hit".

Only Campy specific tool you will need is the cassette lockring tool. Plus T25 Torx.

One.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

There's no difference between the UT 11 and UT 10 cranks. You can go to the pre-2011 chain rings, or 2011+ rings with the 2011+ bolts.

But, I would check eBay for prices on chorus crank sets. Sometimes they are pretty cheap.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

bikerjulio wrote:If the Record 10 is Ultratorque, then the crank swap is easy. If it's square taper, then obviously you'll need the cups. Also new cableset and chain (I suggest KMC).

There's only a very minor difference in logo between Chorus and Record cranks, hardy a "bling hit".

Only Campy specific tool you will need is the cassette lockring tool. Plus T25 Torx.

Perfect. Thank you all. I'll pick which set to run out of the two on overall condition of each. The r10 set are the UT as well. I am fortunate to have access to the campy specific tools necessary which is an added bonus. I'm considering running Nokon's when I swap the r11 on as well. I will report back once I finalize the deals and get it built up. I'd decided on a bike from a forum member here, but the r11 feels dramatically better on my hands. Knowing I can piece it all together for a price point that is viable to me seals the deal.

Thank you all!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

abrown3mtg wrote:
bikerjulio wrote:If the Record 10 is Ultratorque, then the crank swap is easy. If it's square taper, then obviously you'll need the cups. Also new cableset and chain (I suggest KMC).

Perfect. Thank you all. I'll pick which set to run out of the two on overall condition of each. The r10 set are the UT as well. I am fortunate to have access to the campy specific tools necessary which is an added bonus. I'm considering running Nokon's when I swap the r11 on as well. I will report back once I finalize the deals and get it built up. I'd decided on a bike from a forum member here, but the r11 feels dramatically better on my hands. Knowing I can piece it all together for a price point that is viable to me seals the deal.

Thank you all!

I could be misremembering, but I believe there can a problem with Nokons and Campy shifters. You are much better off with Campy cables and housing.

One.

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

I'll do a bit more reading to get back up to speed! I've been out of the game for a while! I'll do some more reading but have no problem skipping the added cost of the nokons.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

abrown3mtg wrote:I'll do a bit more reading to get back up to speed! I've been out of the game for a while! I'll do some more reading but have no problem skipping the added cost of the nokons.

The Current Campy shifter body has a precisely sized hole for the housing, which acts as a ferrule as well. I believe the issue was that Nokons would not fit, so a length of Campy housing was needed anyway, and from the POV of minimising friction it was better to avoid the extra joints and just use Campy housing.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Less money+less maintenance+better function seems like a pretty good overall trend for the sake of decision making.