EE Cycleworks eeNUT and eeTop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

I got the Cannondale expander off of Ebay. Them or Cannondale Experts always seem to have them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

What size bolt does this take? Couldn't find out online anywhere. Am thinking about using this with a different top cap.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

M6. Answered my own question :lol:

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

shoemakerpom2010 wrote:Could the EE system be used on a Cannondale all carbon fork instead of the Cannondale compression cap?

Hi Shoe, that's a good question to ask. The answer is No. The Cannondale fork requires the internal support the Cannondale expander provides. This helps the steerer resist being crushed by the external force of the stem.

That's the same reason you have to be sure the internal expander is installed in the fork at the right depth to match the stem's lower clamp bolt.

You can read about this in the Owner's Manual Supplement (OMS) here: http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Suppor ... nuals/Road

For example, in the Super Six EVO (2012) PDF, it's on page 15.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

Sim0n0

by Sim0n0

DamonRinard wrote:
shoemakerpom2010 wrote:Could the EE system be used on a Cannondale all carbon fork instead of the Cannondale compression cap?

Hi Shoe, that's a good question to ask. The answer is No. The Cannondale fork requires the internal support the Cannondale expander provides. This helps the steerer resist being crushed by the external force of the stem.

That's the same reason you have to be sure the internal expander is installed in the fork at the right depth to match the stem's lower clamp bolt.

You can read about this in the Owner's Manual Supplement (OMS) here: http://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Suppor ... nuals/Road

Cheers,
Damon

And I would expect the same to apply to ANY carbon steerer!? The expander is a structural part of the system.. I wouldn't ever save weight in this area myself

Delorre

by Delorre

Sim0n0 wrote:
DamonRinard wrote:

Cheers,
Damon

And I would expect the same to apply to ANY carbon steerer!? The expander is a structural part of the system.. I wouldn't ever save weight in this area myself

And why do Canyon bikes come without any expander then? OK, 1.25" steerer tube, but the fork as pretty light @ 300gr cut, so no extra reinforced steerer tube IMO.

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Exactly. Would my carbon stem with zero cut outs torqued to 3nm crush the steerer tube without the OEM expander? I don't think so

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Delorre wrote:And why do Canyon bikes come without any expander then? OK, 1.25" steerer tube, but the fork as pretty light @ 300gr cut, so no extra reinforced steerer tube IMO.

Hi Delorre,

Naturally, I can't speak for other brands. But looking back over the years, almost every major brand has had a strongly worded technical bulletin, or a recall, due to structural problems at the top of the fork. Trek, Specialized, Cervelo, Felt, just off the top of my head. I'm sure you can find others.

It's interesting that of all the international structural tests arrays required to sell a bike (ISO in EU, CPSC in US, etc.), there is not one single test required for the top of the fork.

Nevertheless, I can speak for Cannondale, and the message is: keep the stock expander, read (and follow) the instructions, keeping the expanding part in line with the lower stem bolt.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

nickf

by nickf

Been using a ultrastar for years on my caad9 fork and now on my evo hm. No issues. I'm sure recalls are due to dumb consumers just cranking down on stem bolts. Your average rider is clueless when it comes to carbon and torque wrenches.

Roni1

by Roni1

I just got my ee top cap and can't figure out how to install it. It says to hold skirt with finger and tighten counter clockwise... my finger is not strong enough to hold it. Any tips?