Can I use a SRAM 12 speed chain on my ......

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

uraqt

by uraqt

Any inside info on SRAM 12 speed chain.. sounds like it might be seriously engineered

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I wouldn't doubt the technology trickles down to the road chains in some revision.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

The OD has been shared. That being 5.25mm, down from 5.6 for 11sp Sram, for comparison, a Campy 11sp chain is 5.5mm and a shimano is 5.62
However the real important bit you're after, the inner width has, to my knowledge not yet been shared. I stand to be corrected.
Shimano 11 is the same inner dimension between 10 and 11 but not 9
Can't seem to find the number on Campy, but i know 11sp chains seat properly on 10sp parts but not 9sp.

My suspicion is that the 12speed chain is narrower inside since we've already moved a step without a change in width, this change probably necessitated a thinning of the gears so that the plates of the chain would not be too thin themselves.
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm

mai

by mai

on your non-12-speed drivetrain? why would you want to chew up your cassettes and chainrings? :)
a few fractions of a millimeter off and by the time you notice the noise your drivetrain will never be the same again. i'd stick to the "correct" speed components.

dynaserve

by dynaserve

FreaK wrote:The OD has been shared....

Great post - Very informative thx.