stages : calibration before each ride?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

was wondering, do you guys do a calibration before each ride? There is a temp compensation unit build in, so, what's the added benefit of a daily manual calibration?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

I have used an old version of stages PM for 3 years.

I usually calibrated it every riding in two years ago. But, since last season, I calibrated my PM once a week?
When I checked my calibrated offset value or something on Garmin Edge, the value has been almost same.

I guess that calibration is necessary when your PM experienced harsh temperature changing.

Yes, Stages states that their PM has auto temperature compensating functions.
However, compensated value definitely has some errors, even though it is very very small.
If you don't calibrate your PM for a long long time, this small error will be stacked.
This stacked error cannot be ignored and affect to your power value.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Calibrate it often enough to notice that with each calibration, the number is usually the same. For me, 906.

Then, I got sick of waiting, and now I only calibrate it when I swap between bikes, or feel like it's been a long time. Even then, I've never seen the value change by more than a single digit.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I would if, the garmin edge 500 calibration didn't fail 100% unless you have some obscure combination of ANT+ devices paired.

nycebo

by nycebo

I calibrate it when I remember to...which is about every week or two. One thing to remember if you park your bike inside or in a garage: you may want to calibrate after the bike has been outside for 10 minutes or so in order to acclimate to 'that' temperature. Since I park the bike in my apartment, I generally do the calibration after a quick warm-up ride to the meeting place with my mates. While we're standing around waiting for everyone or eating a quick snack, I do the calibration. It's fast and easy with the Garmin Edge.

Multebear

by Multebear

Delorre wrote:
1) was wondering, do you guys do a calibration before each ride?

2) There is a temp compensation unit build in, so, what's the added benefit of a daily manual calibration?

1) Yes, i calibrate before each ride. It's no extra work, when done while changing to cycling clothes. Usually the calibration number is in the 840s or 850s. I do it because my PM coach told me to do it, to make sure the values always stay the same. And since the calibration number is different with every calibration, I think it's worth it to get correct values.

2) The temp censor should make up for the temp changes, which makes it irrelevant, if you calibrate inside your home or outside.

My Garmin 500 prompts the calibration at every startup, so it's no big deal to just press yes and leave the bike for a couple of minutes to get changed.

gavin

by gavin

I calibrate before every ride

If you don't then you will get less accurate results

CulBaire

by CulBaire

I calibrate mine before every ride, usually end up with ~895 during the warmer months, or ~903-908 on the colder winter mornings. Seems to record fairly accurately all the time which is even more apparent now I have an SRM as well. :thumbup:

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I calibrate every ride. Just takes a second so just do it when fluffing about getting organised for a ride.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I calibrate every ride, it auto prompts on the garmins anyway. It is always within 1 unit of itself anyway. The quarq varies a lot more.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com