not much love for Litespeed T1SL?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

i've been digging around on WW and even reached out to members that had bought a Litespeed T1SL but haven't heard much or seen much post about this frame.

my friend rides a 2015 T1 model and since T1SL claims to be 15% lighter than the T1 without losing the stiffness of T1.. i would think it would get a lot of love. or is it because $4K MSRP price is too steep for a frame?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

For me at $4k it's too expensive for a frame that's:
x) Not light
x) Not aero
x) American

I used to have an alloy litespeed and I did love it. But at $4k you have so many different options that's lighter, more aero or/and has better style (colnago master, speedvagen, handmade steel). But I get that if you want a forever bike that's somewhat light and has some style it's a good option. But I think it has a niche market. I used to think I want a forever bike, but since then I realized that I would crave new stuff badly enough to stick with alloy / carbon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

The prize is normal for a quality ti frame made in the US. The problem is that ti is not trendy nowadays. That's all...

addictR1

by addictR1

nemeseri: litespeed is not american? i thought they are all handbuilt in TN? perhaps the Ti is milled in China instead? perhaps your right about after a few years i'll probably crave for something new again..

in that case.. maybe should just save my money and get a CAAD12 frameset instead if i wanted to go alloy frame.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

If have 4k to spend and want ti, go custom like firefly, indy fab, etc.p

RyanH

by RyanH

I think for what it is, it's fairly priced. I just think it's targeting a very niche market. You already have the T1 which has a reputation of being on the very stiff side, I think almost to the point of defeating the purpose of being Ti. Then they took that and made it a weight weenie frame (in relative terms).

Those concerned primarily with weight will choose carbon and those concerned with ride quality will probably prefer the T3. I almost pulled the trigger on a T1SL had I not come across the R5ca at the same time.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

lanternrouge

by lanternrouge

If you are getting Ti and are spending a lot, there are a whole lot of other options out there. Also, I think if you are looking for lightweight, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with carbon. All that being said, if the price was right, I would get one. Still, if paying full price for a new bike, I would be looking at all the other options.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

addictR1 wrote:nemeseri: litespeed is not american? i thought they are all handbuilt in TN? perhaps the Ti is milled in China instead? perhaps your right about after a few years i'll probably crave for something new again..

in that case.. maybe should just save my money and get a CAAD12 frameset instead if i wanted to go alloy frame.

It IS American made. I added that as a con, because it's not italian like the colnago master. I don't have anything against american made frames (I actually trust american made stuff better probably), but litespeed is not an old brand with a lot of history. That's it. For 4k you can get that if that's something you want. I don't care about this stuff though.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

I have a T1 which I bought last year. Was rather annoyed with LS as they did not tell me the T1SL was in the pipeline. The T1SL would have much better suited me and I think both are a fair price but the T1 is rather heavy at 1220g in a small. I bought it as I have a 2006 Ghisallo which has been brilliant so I decided to buy another Ti frame. So far I'm a little unsure of it, it rides well, not uncomfortable but reasonably stiff and has better power transfer than the Ghisallo but overall I think i'm dissippointed and find myself riding the Ghisallo more as it just seems to have more life to it which is hard to explain. Yes the T1 responds better to an out of the saddle effort but for the rest of the time the Ghisallo is just better. I think the T1SL would have been better but can't afford to change at the moment. Considering selling the T1 and going for a carbon bike as I've not have one in 10 years.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

RyanH

by RyanH

@cmcdonnell, I know what you're talking about. Although I haven't ridden a Ghisallo, I assume what you're describing is what draws a lot of people to steel. I can only guess but it probably rides similar to a classic steel bike whereas the T1 tries to approximate a carbon bike and in doing so, loses some of its liveliness. That was a big sticking point for me in wanting to get the T1SL. I inquired about its stiffness, hoping that it'd be a touch less stiff than the T1 but LS confirmed they maintained the T1 stiffness.

If you go carbon, and you want ride quality similar to what you have now, top of the line carbon is there. My R5ca is better in every aspect than my Xicon was. The Parlee Z5, the Colnago C59 both shared that liveliness and feel that I liked in the Xicon but had better stiffness.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If I'm getting a Titanium hand built bike, I want it to come with an English threaded bottom bracket. It doesn't. I think Seven makes the lightest ti bikes with the axiom slx and firefly the best looking.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

nemeseri

by nemeseri

RyanH wrote:If you go carbon, and you want ride quality similar to what you have now, top of the line carbon is there. My R5ca is better in every aspect than my Xicon was. The Parlee Z5, the Colnago C59 both shared that liveliness and feel that I liked in the Xicon but had better stiffness.

I always wanted to ask that what's the benefit of super-high-end carbon bikes? I mean why the Cervelo RCA is better than the R5? It's twice as expensive. Or what makes a parlee so exceptionally good compared to a Supersix Himod or a Tarmac? I'm not being sarcastic, I'm really curious.

In the case of old Italian brands, I can understand the higher price, given you have the opportunity to ride a piece of history. They usually also have amazing finish and style.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

In the case of Parlee you are paying for a custom build. In the case of a Colnago its hand built and an attention to detail including frame geometry(unlike say a cervelo which essentially gives you the same rear triangle no matter what size frame you order). In the case of the Cervelo you are payiing for their lightest frame and shaving a few grams. I have both a high end Titanium and Carbon bike, they both provide great rides, but they do it differently. The titanium absorbs bumps and road imperfections in a way the carbon does not, but doesn't feel as light, agile or as fast(granted one is road bike geometry and one is gravel geometry).
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com