xentis XBL 4.2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

virus

by virus

Hi all, I've been here to read you guys sharing for a long time and this is my 1st post to talk about the xentis wheels. I bought this wheel set few months before and really love its performance, especially the braking performance is similar to the aluminum rims (I use the swissstop blue brakepads). However the rim had lots of scratches after a ride in rain. :shock:

I'm saying so just because xentis claims their brake tracks are very hard/stiff and record some videos like the following link, which I think it's misleading to the public.

https://www.facebook.com/XentisThailand ... 605215161/ (video from Xentis Thai)

I've email my situation to Xentis a week before but still waiting for thier reply. Will let you know if they've any updates. :roll:

My Helium SL with XBL 4.2~

Image20151013_213636_HDR by viruslib, on Flickr

Scratches after a ride in rain~ :?

Image20160316_223613_HDR by viruslib, on Flickr

rma

by rma

I've been thinking about Xentis for a few months. Just waiting for the perfect balance between rim depth, cross section and weight. Hope to hear from you about the brake tracks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zappafile123

by zappafile123

RMA,

Ive got a set of squad 5.8's and ridden 2.5's a bit as well. They are fantastic wheels. I've ridden a bunch and can safely say they are right up there in terms of performance for an everyday wheelset. The hubs are fine - roll reasonably smoothly, perfectly serviceable, but nothing special either. They build into a moderately stiff wheelset without any brake rub problems. You'd notice a set of DA or Campy hubs were a little smoother. Dont bother with the ceramic bearing option - I cant tell the difference in terms of performance/smoothness and apparently they wear out fast.
The 5.8's are super fast once they're up to speed, but they dont climb as well as a dedicated climbing wheelset. Having said that, they arent too bad up a climb (mine are ~1590g). God knows how, but there was only 100g weight difference between the 5.8's and the 2.5's when I weighed the complete bike (2.5's were running spesh turbo pros, the 5.8s sw turbos, obviously the latter would be a little lighter). The 5.8's are pretty comfortable. On the flip side, the 2.5's are way more responsive up steep climbs (are you'd expect), and the handling feels distinctly more precise and direct. On the downside, the 2.5's make the ride a fair bit harsher and they not nearly as speedy as the 5.8's.
The braking is excellent in both the wet and the dry. However, I reckon the performance declines over time. My 5.8's have about 2000kms pn them now and I have noticed a bit of a difference. The set of 2.5's which I am trying now, are who knows how old, and I'd go so far as to say the braking is a little crappy. The brake track seems to become a little glossy and this gloss finish might be to blame for the decline. I'd also strongly recomend using Xentis pads as they do the job a lot better than swiss stop yellow or black prince.

Also, Virus...mate, you really need to get rid of the hideous bento box on the back of your bike. its unsightly, get something smaller and use your pockets.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

nlouthan

by nlouthan

That video isn't official Xentis marketing. Hard to condemn the company or product based on something a distributor/importer did.

As far as the scratches, rain brings dirt and grit onto the braking surface, which works as sandpaper, regardless if the rim is carbon, aluminum, hardened, whatever. Just like the brakes in your car, everytime you brake, material is worn of the brake pads and the braking surface (the rim's brake track). Riding the rims in the rain just accelerated the process.